Has the Fallout series ended for you, Bethesda/Fo3 haters?

• Thread starter Thread starter Arin Matthews
  • Start date Start date
Yamu said:
No one killed Fallout. Fallout's fine. It was fine through Iplay's crash and burn, it was fine for the ten years the community stayed active without hope of ever seeing another game in the series, and it was fine all through the worst of the doom and gloom pre-NV when it looked like Point Lookout was as good as we were ever again going to get.

None of that effects the originals in any way. They're still capital-g great and nothing can change that. I'm sure most of us continue to play them and derive an odd sense of pride from the rare case of getting someone else interested, and projects like Fallout: Fixt and the F2RP are actively expanding and improving the legacy. The very fact that we're all here 15 years after the game released to have this discussion says all that needs said.

There'll be other games in the series, but whether they're all New Vegases or Mothership Zetas is wholly irrelevant to the question. Fallout is fine.

Agreed. Plus, 3 and New Vegas have had people who have never even heard of the originals to purchase and play them. I wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case.

But anyway, I don't really consider myself a hater of 3, although looking back on it and looking at the other games, I can see why there's a bunch of people who don't think highly of it.

So, here's hoping the next Fallout game game is done by Obsidian.

scorptatious said:
So, here's hoping the next Fallout game game is done by Obsidian.
Fallout 4 will be made by Beth, unfortunatelly. But according to this news http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/and-heres-obsidians-idea-for-fallout-new-vegas-2/ there is hope for another game made by Obsidian. Unfotunatelly (for me), it would focus on ghouls.
"It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing because of all the radiation".
Jesus, those are the words of Feargus Urquhart but they sound like one of Beth devs said them.

Walpknut said:
Feargus is just the dude with the money, he is not the lead writter or project director.
Fortunatelly. Otherwise, with that attitude he would make helluva career in Beth. In my ears his words sounded almost like: "Fantasy, for us, is a knight on horseback running around and killing things​".

Just as new Karate Kid and Total Recall and Star Trek movies create new point of reference for modern audiences, the impact of Fallout 3 on the franchise is undeniable.

Now Total Recall is a forgettable generic monochrome action film, Karate Kid is brought to you courtesy Chinese Tourism Ministry, Star Trek is a generic comic action sequence.

The upcoming remake will make Robocop into a generic summer blockbuster about some guy who gets mangled and then has revenge in the future wearing a bionic suit.

You may remember the originals. Younger people won't. They will only go back as far as the newly established point of reference for these franchises.

So what's become of Fallout with release of Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

It is a monochrome, meandering walking simulator with cumbersome interface and unpleasant combat. Is is an "anything goes" theme park, a disjointed mishmash of poorly realized sci-fi gimmicks, held together by wooden writing.

The hollow ring of the name "Fallout" fits only the first game, and to a much lesser degree, the second. Then, it disperses into nothingness.

If there's going to be a spiritual sequel to Fallout, it's not going to come from a major studio, and it won't carry the long-suffering name.

There's a chance it's going to come from garage developers, myself included.

However, severe dry eye syndrome has been impairing my ability to look at computer screens, so nothing is guaranteed.

In retrosight, the series ended to me with Fallout 2 already. It's a good game, but it doesn't feel like "Fallout" anymore to me. New Vegas was an ok game and I had fun with it, but no way is it a proper fallout game to me.

Also, Arin Matthews, your avatar always makes me think you are the Dutch Ghost. :o

Actually the spirit of Fallout wasn't start from Fallout itself,
it was started from Wasteland and spritual successor of Wasteland is Fallout. even Fallout itself is dead, there might be spiritual succesor of Fallout.
well it won't be WL2 since it's succesor of Wasteland itself.
Arcanum is kind of spiritual succesor of Fallout, and I feel like games of Obsidian such as Alpha protocol, NWN2:storm of zehir inherit some portion of Fallout's spirit.
and there's lots of indie games that call themselves spritual succesor of Fallout(like Underail, age of decadance and ETC).

I remember the reviews that came out in 1997. Everyone knew back then that Fallout was a spiritual sequel to Wasteland. It was mentioned on PC Gamer review as well.

If you deny that, you're engaging in revisionist history.

Yes, but I was refering to woo1108 posts, he's often indicating that Fallout is just copy of wasteland, getting almost everything from the latter. ; p

more than copy but plot itself is too similar to Wasteland to think plot was copied and decorated different conversation, graphic and different name.
and Fallout itself wasn't new paradime but it was started from Wasteland. that's all.

for world, there little crossed Wasteland for whole Fallout(not the same world though). it would be just homage though.

Languorous_Maiar said:
Only spiritual, nothing more. :)
actually it's more than spiritual.
it's similar to how fo3 copied Fo1,2's plot but used same order with original different world and enemy(robot->mutant)

In my opinion its not dead, all the games are great in my opinion (some worse than others), as long as every Fallout has some redeeming qualities, I will have faith in the series.

Loving something doesn't mean you have to diffence the criticising especially it's right.
one thing I really doubt is that are fo3 fanboys are kind of fanatics who worships fo3 and beth?
lots of fo3 fanboys include you didn't accept criticising beth and fo3. they are flawed. I have criticising both of them with reason not because I just hate them.
Does grammar elude you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English is not everybody's first language....
I would consider that if he weren't trying to insult everyone who likes a game he doesn't. I understand that he's trying to insult me and others, i'm just not sure what that insult is.

I have criticized only fanboys not whole fans of beth. and fanboy of beth or fo3 means worshipper of beth and fo3.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Bahahahahhahah what a stupid question?''DOW FALOT ENDEAD FOAR YA?''.

Go out kid take some fresh air ,fallout ended allready they make games to have more money,i am not saying the FO series are bad,they are great but when Beth(sada or whatever) run out of money and FO series fans are sucked into the GTA V gamingo ball,they will make a new game trust me.It will happen in just 1 year(think so)

Back