Hello, old friend

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Deimos

Deimos First time out of the vault

Aug 7, 2010
    Yea. I will exchange thousand of idiots for several great talking heads.
    They were doing supermutant. Result is yellow ork.
    They were doing supermutant again. Result is Shrek.
    Funny.
    Hope they don't have Myron, Cassidy and Goris.

2. sampson70

sampson70 Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2009
    Your right, I recall seeing him talk about that on talk show.I think he will do a good job people. :o

3. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    I like Perry from Studio 60. Haven't seen him in anything else.

4. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Not even Friends?

5. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    I thought he was fine in Studio 60 and his small part in The West Wing, and he was in the non-bad half of the Friends bunch. If someone told us McGyver would end up as an iconic sheriff we'd probably wince a little as well.

6. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    10 bucks says Perry's character will have some sort of joke quote like "Could this BE any more blabla"?

Only voice I thought was semi-decent in F3 was the ghouls, so NV is already miles ahead. Now we just have to see how it all comes together.

7. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    I watched few dubbed episodes, so I would not judge him on that.

8. John Hancock

John Hancock First time out of the vault

Jun 4, 2005
    It's not really fair to compare the details of a pre-rendered talking head originally sculpted from clay to a three-dimensional character created from a wire mesh skeleton and textures. Considering what they're forced to work with, Obsidian has done a good job, and I for one prefer to give credit where credit is due.

Of course, I'd prefer it if the game were still isometric, turn-based, and used talking heads of its own, just like the originals. But that's not going to happen, because 90% of the people buying the new games aren't old-school fans. They're frat boys and teenagers.

And yes, the yellow fucking orcs in Fallout 3 are ridiculous. More green, more hunched shoulders, fewer stupid hats, and a variety of gruesome facial features would be a good direction for the new franchise to go in where Super Mutant appearances are concerned.

9. Chinz

Chinz It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 31, 2010
    And they were best buddies. Made sense he would name it after him.

10. lemonold

lemonold First time out of the vault

Jul 8, 2010
    Haha sweet, he was my favorite companion, its good to see him back.

11. Expresate

Expresate It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 14, 2010
    Well, that's an uncalled for generalization. Different strokes for different folks.

12. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    Wait until you encounter him in game.

13. Jubal Quintus

Jubal Quintus Nacho Friend

Mar 2, 2007
    Marcus looks great. It's also nice to see a more stooped and hunched supermutant. The one in the background looks to have that stance also. Very exciting.

14. Elhoim

Elhoim It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 3, 2008
    Indeed, I didn't notice the one in the back, but yeah, their stance looks much better.

15. John Hancock

Jun 4, 2005
    It's a generalization, yes, but only because I can't/won't list every single category of new-school gamer. It gets the point across: If we bitter, hardcore, old-school fans were still the primary target audience, Bethesda's butchery of the franchise wouldn't have flown.

I've mostly been a lurker here at NMA, but I'm still a bitter old Fallout fan. :P

I noticed it, and I too agree — it's a much better look for super mutants.

16. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Reminds me a bit of the Tactics super mutants stance.

Still better than "we simply took humand skeleton and animations for our super mutants, because we don't think it's needed to waste time on details in here, especially because players don't care anyway"-thingy from Fallout 3.

17. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    Doesn't really look like Marcus at all. Except for the armor you'd never know.

18. John Hancock

Jun 4, 2005
    I knew who it was immediately the moment I set eyes on the screenshot, so I don't think your statement is entirely accurate. If nothing else, the goggles and shoulder armor give it away (as you say), but the face is pretty close, too.

19. DocConrad

DocConrad First time out of the vault

Jul 8, 2007
    Yup. Great damn show, and for that reason I don't second guess his casting.

20. TychoXI

TychoXI Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 20, 2008
    OBOY OBOY OBOY.

If nothing else, this brought a smile to face. And while my initial excitement has subdued somewhat (and I'm still hoping they touch him up a little bit more) I'm not weary of this at all. This is looking good.

Besides, this answers one of my prayers: SMs are CERTAINLY no longer orcs. All we knew until now is that a group was mindless orcs and the other wasn't that hostile, but was still segregated. I mean if Marcus founded a new town it HAS to be cosmopolitan and mostly peaceful/neutral to the different factions (I mean in principle, if someone has done them wrong or looks down on muties they will of course be hostile). The "social" advances from FO2 are back! Seeing so much of NCR and it being 100% human was giving me the wrong vibe...

Yeah, you speak the truth. Even other details, like lip synching and facial expressions, were still better back then in FO!