Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

I managed to get this running at my monitor's native resolution after using the manual setting, but the refresh rate is locked to 70. The monitor reports this as a supported mode but unfortunately it does not report that it makes everything look like blurry cat sick. Is it possible to let us specify refresh rate?

Egglet said:
I managed to get this running at my monitor's native resolution after using the manual setting, but the refresh rate is locked to 70. The monitor reports this as a supported mode but unfortunately it does not report that it makes everything look like blurry cat sick. Is it possible to let us specify refresh rate?

Sorry don't know how to help you there, other than trying a different resolution. :(

Just an update on my fallout1 patch.
I've got it up and running just like the fallout2 patch.
But I'm going to take a look at fixing some of the bugs, especially the way maps load before I release it.
At the moment I'm looking to release the patch next week sometime.

Mash said:
But I'm going to take a look at fixing some of the bugs, especially the way maps load before I release it.
Does this mean scrolling outside the blockers of the map will no longer occur with your patch? :D

killap said:
Does this mean scrolling outside the blockers of the map will no longer occur with your patch? :D

If I can get the View Window to load within the bounds of the map, then I can reduce how far you can scroll outside the original maps as I extended the range to cope with higher resolutions.
As for the inner map blockers I will put an on/off switch in the SETTINGS section. The trouble with the inner blockers is that the larger View Window can get wedged in between them but lower resolutions like 800x600 will probably work. :)

Keep up the good work. The FO2 res patch is pretty much perfect for me. I only have minor quibbles such as seeing the outside of maps and the smaller chat screens. If there was a way to freeze it to a lower res independent of the rest of the game, or somehow stretch them to fill the screen more, it'd be a lot easier on the eyes.

Mad Max RW said:
Keep up the good work. The FO2 res patch is pretty much perfect for me. I only have minor quibbles such as seeing the outside of maps and the smaller chat screens. If there was a way to freeze it to a lower res independent of the rest of the game, or somehow stretch them to fill the screen more, it'd be a lot easier on the eyes.
CRT users are the worst affected. Somehow stretching the window after its drawn to sounds like a good idea.
Haven't a clue how to do this but nothings impossible. :) It's on my list of things to improve.

Elitech said:
Wait... Mash, does this work with RP or not? Since RP goes over a fresh, unpatched install... If it does, I'd add that in the description...
Sorry Elitech totally missed your post on the previous page.
I haven't had the chance to give the RP ago as yet (I'm definitely going to when I get the chance).
But I've read that it works fine and have added words to that effect in the first post. :)

Mad Max RW said:
It's actually pretty easy if you let sfall do the work for you: The value at 0x51871C seems to be 1 if a conversation window is open. So if one modifies sfall to present an upscaled 640x480 rectangle instead of the whole surface if this value is 1 then the desired effect is archived. This only zooms the dialog window but Fallout2 still thinks that it is rendering to a higher resolution meaning that the mouse cursor can go outside the visible area, which feels a little awkward. One might want to modify fallout2.exe to restrict the cursor to the size of the dialog window if aforementioned value is 1. The mouse cursor restriction is handled in the function at 0x4CAA38. Anyway, it looks like this:

Babax said:
Well, any news about when hi-res patch for Fallout 1 could be ready?

Sorry for the delay. I still aim to get something out this week.
I've been working on getting the maps to load better and although I've had some success I have ran into a pile of problems as well.
The maps should load better but unfortunately scrolling outside the map boarders is still possible for now.
I have to wander the wastes a bit and give it a test. All going well I'll probably release it in the next couple of days. :)

Edit:

Not sure if its worth starting a new topic for this but the Fallout1 Resolution Patch v1.0 is ready to go. :D

jackmaninov said:
killap said:
jackmaninov said:
I'm getting a black screen and an application error every time I go to Trapper Town in Klamath. Error message is:

The instruction at 004af46a referenced memory at 00000028
The memory could not be read from
Are you running my unofficial patch? If so, you are probably running an old version and should upgrade to the latest from the one in my signature. The issue you are describing was a problem in version 1.02.22 of my patch.

Hmm, I think I might have downloaded a bad version of the patch then. I just reinstalled it (manual install), it says its 1.02.24, but I downloaded it on the 31st when 1.02.25 was supposed to be out. On the rock in the game it says it was released on the 22nd though. Guess I'll try downloading again. Thanks! :)

Hi,

i had the same problem. Installed the newest patch version (rock check OK), but the problem remains. I'm running wine on Fedora 7. Any ideas? Thanks!

prewitt said:
i had the same problem. Installed the newest patch version (rock check OK), but the problem remains. I'm running wine on Fedora 7. Any ideas? Thanks!

Could you try moving around klamath without the res patch installed. If it only happens at high res let me know what resolution your playing at and I will try to replicate it at my end.
You can disable the res patch by running "f2_res_patcher.exe" again.

I have a usability question in relation to the resolution patch. I find it very annoying to move around maps with this patch because the distance you can move in one click is maybe half the size of a large map. Anything longer and the pathing algorithm thinks you can't get there.

My guess is that there's just some hard-coded value somewhere that is the maximum number of times the algo will iterate to check for a path. I'm wondering if there would be a way that your patcher could increase the depth with which the pathing algorithm will search for a path to a target location.

Of course, this guess is straight out of my ass, and I don't have the disassembly skilzz to figure out if I'm right... :)

jackmaninov said:
I have a usability question in relation to the resolution patch. I find it very annoying to move around maps with this patch because the distance you can move in one click is maybe half the size of a large map. Anything longer and the pathing algorithm thinks you can't get there.

My guess is that there's just some hard-coded value somewhere that is the maximum number of times the algo will iterate to check for a path. I'm wondering if there would be a way that your patcher could increase the depth with which the pathing algorithm will search for a path to a target location.

Of course, this guess is straight out of my ass, and I don't have the disassembly skilzz to figure out if I'm right... :)
This kind of bugs me a little as well, I'll keep an eye out for a solution.

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I'm still working on a better solution for map loading as well as keeping the screen view within the boarders of the maps when scrolling. I've also been working on the mapper2.exe but its still early days there.

Mash said:
prewitt said:

Could you try moving around klamath without the res patch installed. If it only happens at high res let me know what resolution your playing at and I will try to replicate it at my end.
You can disable the res patch by running "f2_res_patcher.exe" again.

Sorry for misplacing my post - i'm not using the res patch. I searched with google and didn't notice that this duscussion is primarily about the res patch.

Increasing the maximum walking distance isn't that easy because it is not limited by a specific number of hexes. Instead it is limited by the amount of memory that is reserved for pathing. That memory is in fixed locations and if you would tell the pathing function to use a larger area then it would just overwrite some other data which will quite probably lead to a crash. Hence a lot of patching has to be done.

The pathing function seems to begin at 0x415EFC, it contains many references to 0x542xxx, 0x561xxx and 0x562xxx memory addresses. One would have to allocate some larger memory areas and patch some of the commands in the function to use those new areas instead of the aforementioned ones. Then you could increase the limits which seem to be set at:
Code:
0x415FE3      CMP EAX,9C40          //40000=2000*20bytes
0x4160D6      CMP EDI,9C40          //40000
0x416175      CMP ESI,7D0           //2000
This should enable you to walk further. I might have missed something and maybe there is an easier way, but I couldn't find one.

weak-ling said:
Increasing the maximum walking distance isn't that easy because it is not limited by a specific number of hexes. Instead it is limited by the amount of memory that is reserved for pathing. That memory is in fixed locations and if you would tell the pathing function to use a larger area then it would just overwrite some other data which will quite probably lead to a crash. Hence a lot of patching has to be done.

The pathing function seems to begin at 0x415EFC, it contains many references to 0x542xxx, 0x561xxx and 0x562xxx memory addresses. One would have to allocate some larger memory areas and patch some of the commands in the function to use those new areas instead of the aforementioned ones. Then you could increase the limits which seem to be set at:
Code:
0x415FE3      CMP EAX,9C40          //40000=2000*20bytes
0x4160D6      CMP EDI,9C40          //40000
0x416175      CMP ESI,7D0           //2000
This should enable you to walk further. I might have missed something and maybe there is an easier way, but I couldn't find one.

Nice find 8-)
So I started fooling around in the function you referenced and found that by decreasing the value 0x32 in this line:
Code:
0x4161E6  ADD EAX,32    //50
increases the walking range.
I set this to zero to see what would happen and ran round a few maps with no problems. Corner to corner in one click.
:) It's 4 in the AM here, and I'm to tired to figure out why this works. But if any one with the US version wants to play around.
Add this line to the OFFSETS section of the US.res file:
Code:
004161E8	1	32				0	;ADD EAX,32

Mash said:
I set this to zero to see what would happen and ran round a few maps with no problems. Corner to corner in one click.
:) It's 4 in the AM here, and I'm to tired to figure out why this works. But if any one with the US version wants to play around.
Add this line to the OFFSETS section of the US.res file:
Code:
004161E8	1	32				0	;ADD EAX,32

Works for me! :D

The pathing is a little strange, you tend to favour paths that go towards the top-right corner of the screen, even to the point of running the long way around buildings. But it's certainly nicer than clicking a number of times :)

Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place to ask for help, but ive had a look around, on google mostly, on how to fix the problem im having with the res patch - didnt find anything. I installed the us version of fallout2 then the latest killap unoffical patch, then the latest restoration project and finally this res patch. My screen is 1900X1200, i can start the game fine and play the temple of trials, but after what seems 5 minutes or so the screen will go black all i can do is press escape and it goes back to the desktop. I unistalled the res patch and i played for about 2 hours without a crash. It seemed to crash when changing maps, once when leaving the temple of trials and once when entering klamath - i think? anyway is there a way to get around this, since its much nicer on the eyes at the higher res :mrgreen:

thanks for working on this patch :clap:

-edit - i ran through temple of trials the second time, it didnt crash when changing maps that time? so not sure if its map changing or just random :?

lilBrownFish said:
Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place to ask for help, but ive had a look around, on google mostly, on how to fix the problem im having with the res patch - didnt find anything. I installed the us version of fallout2 then the latest killap unoffical patch, then the latest restoration project and finally this res patch. My screen is 1900X1200, i can start the game fine and play the temple of trials, but after what seems 5 minutes or so the screen will go black all i can do is press escape and it goes back to the desktop. I unistalled the res patch and i played for about 2 hours without a crash. It seemed to crash when changing maps, once when leaving the temple of trials and once when entering klamath - i think? anyway is there a way to get around this, since its much nicer on the eyes at the higher res :mrgreen:

thanks for working on this patch :clap:

-edit - i ran through temple of trials the second time, it didnt crash when changing maps that time? so not sure if its map changing or just random :?

It's good to get some feed back from someone running at such a high res. My monitor only goes to 1680x1050.
It's possible the screen is straying off the map a little. One thing you could try is adjusting the map border limits in the f2_res.ini file.
they should look like this at the moment:
Code:
#MAP SCROLL LIMITS----ADJUST WITH CAUTION!!!
MAP_LIMITS_YA = -200	;original value = -240
MAP_LIMITS_XA = -1	;original value = -320
MAP_LIMITS_YB = 240	;original value = 240
MAP_LIMITS_XB = -1	;original value = -320
try setting MAP_LIMITS_YA to it's original value of -240 to start with, and let me know if theirs any improvement. :)

Back