History of NMA

SimpleMinded

Vault Fossil
Hey guys, I got to thinking about it while reading a debate between Silencer and Briosa in the News Comments and realized, I know nothing about the site's past.

For the average visitor, what brought you to NMA, what makes you stay?

For the old timers, the same questions but further. How has the site changed since you first came here? What role have you played in making the site what it is? Any fond memories? Who do you remember being incredibly active that is now gone?

And for the men beyond the masks... Who is Miroslav!

Hrm... My story is pretty simple. I first found No Mutants Allowed when I played Fallout 2. I was in love with the games and think I first used the site for a walk through during my second play through. Sigh, my favorite part of it was the humor section. I loved the ring fights between say, the gangs of New Reno. Whoever wrote those was great fun BTW :).

I remember coming to this site a LOT back when it was at a different url. At least, I coulda sworn it was a different url. I always had trouble remembering the name so I hope the name was different :). I don't remember my name on the forums but I typically just spent my time in the Fallout 3 suggestions. Sigh, I remember suggesting some insane idea where you could get in power in say Vault City and take on a managerial role. All I can say is, thank god the devs didn't listen to me :).

I've been on and off on nma, coming back and being active for a long collection of months only to get tired and leave Fallout for a while only to come back looking for more.

That's all there is about me... I know this is a lot like the hello topic but I thought it would be nice to get a nice little history of the site going :).

I moved it to Website.

I realize that Miroslav was the one who founded the site and that Briosafreak used to be an Admin I think... That he's not now - Briosa, did real life issues cut your free time to an unacceptably little forcing you to cut down on the amount of NMA related responsibilities or something? ;)

But yeah, I only know the history of this site starting about a year ago, when I became a regular thanks to my job as VDHP newsman.

So, gather around ye fire, children, and hearken... ;)

We had one of this topics once, it`s somewhere in the archives. This could go to the General Discussion forum i guess, since it isn´t about how the site is run, but more about identity and memories.

What do you say, let`s move this back?

Ow and i`ll reply later.

Nice idea...where is Miroslav?

In any case I found this site long ago when I first got the internet in 1999. Unfortunately I only used it for news and its fan stuff. It didnt occur to me to join a forum since I didnt know what one was 'til 2001 when I joined a different one. When that went dead I thought of all the websites I love to find a forum...then I came here.

Thank God I can be accepted here as "The Vault Dweller" every other forum has people going "WTF?" except there's always one other person who's played Fallout and goes "OMG you rock!"

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

lilfyffedawg said:
For the average visitor, what brought you to NMA, what makes you stay?

To keep it short, I ended up here via a Wasteland fan site - they had mentioned the Fallout games as spiritual successors to Wasteland, and NMA as the place to go to find out about them. I was new to both PC's and the internet, so this place was actually my first encounter with a message board since the days of BBS's. I stayed (well, lurked really) because I ended up loving Fallout and really liking the atmosphere of the place.

For the old timers, the same questions but further. How has the site changed since you first came here?

When I first started coming here there were a ton more regular posters and members than there are now. Around April or May Odin switched over to PHPBB from whatever old system was used, and a lot of people didn't bother re-registering (myself included, for a few months at least). It wasn't that bad, but it did seem a lot quieter for awhile. The place is also a lot less harsh than it used to be.

What role have you played in making the site what it is?

None. I have a pretty recognizable avatar, but as a mod I'm pretty much a background figure.

Any fond memories?

My fondest memory is exploring the boards when I first joined and constantly finding threads where Rosh had torn people apart. I had no idea what to make of him, but a lot of the exchanges were pretty funny.

Who do you remember being incredibly active that is now gone?

Xotor is the main one I remember, probably just because the name is pretty unusual. Miroslav had pretty much stopped posting by the time I started lurking, but I remember seeing his name a lot.

And for the men beyond the masks... Who is Miroslav!

Miroslav founded the site and handed it over to Odin when he joined the army (Serbia, I think?). People who have been here longer than me will have to answer anything else about him.

lilfyffedawg said:
I've been on and off on nma, coming back and being active for a long collection of months only to get tired and leave Fallout for a while only to come back looking for more.
Same here. Although I've "been around" for several years now (anyone remember Dark Raven?), I've never really considered myself a "veteran" or "old timer" since I haven't been around all of the time. Mighty fine thread, this could become. :wink:

We should make an archived history at some point. My memory's pretty hazy, though, especially on specifics...

"No Mutants Allowed" was founded by Miroslav shortly after the release of the first Fallout game. It started as a simple Geocities site, but Miroslav worked to make it the most informative amongst the heavy competition (the times of Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics were those of Fallout sites springing up as mushrooms).

Not too long a time later, around the time of the release of Fallout 2, Miroslav got the site hosted on GameStats, which was still UGO back then (I think) and provided a network of gaming sites of pretty damn high quality, NMA being one of them. The forums back then were still WebBBS, a righteously good threading board system.

(personal history note) This was around the time I got kicked out of the UV for being an annoying little cunt, still under the nick Techno Freak there. I made a break with my spamming past and rejoined NMA (I had posted there before, but not much) under the nick Kharn the Betrayer. I also found The Order via NMA, when Miro made a newspost about it, and later got TO hosted on an NMA-based WebBBS forum before pulling it off again to my own server and later getting it hosted once again (hence Miro's comment when TO rejoined that "we thought we got rid of them")

After the release of Fallout 2 NMA was a teeming place, at least teeming considering that it had only two boards (one for GD, one for Fallout). Miro there appointed a pack of three mods; Rosh, me and Xotor (in that order). Shadowman joined later. Things were pretty much status quo from there...Miro hosted some sites, like Doomsie's old Fallout humour site, the site grew etc. etc. This was also the time of Xotor's old VirtualAve site, which hosted my old fan-fics (which might still be on NMA now). The site was almost completely Flash, quite a novelty back then.

Then came the whole Fallout:Tactics announcement. I left around this time and spent time only on The Order and No Pokemon Allowed (which was also where TO was hosteD), which was also the time that NMA switched the boards to DCCforums (I only have a handful of posts on those old forums).

Don't know much about the time in between my going and returning. Fallout Tactics was released and disappointed everyone. The FalloutX and Vault13 sites came and went. Shadowman got into a fight with Rosh and left. Miro and Xotor faded away. There was a host-switch from Gamestats to Telefragged.

I returned dead-on a couple of days before the phpBB script. I was still trying to get my profile back up together when Odin made the switch and I just re-registered there. Funny thing was I still was mod of RPG and Fan Fic despite my long absence. Odin and (especially) Briosafreak showed a lot of trust in me and my mod-status quickly grew before I was made an admin. Admins around that time were Odin, Rosh, Briosa, Dan and me. Dan faded out, Briosa had to leave, welsh joined us.

And here we are, I suppose.

Ask Rosh for details. Man has the memory of an elephant.

Miro is sadly gone and it doesn't look likely that he'll return, from what we heard, but I hope he will. Xotor and Shadowman are also missed.

And man, I miss Xerox.

Cool thread.

I joined in July 2003, after having been shown the site by a Swede I knew (and recognizing the name from my Fallout searches a few years before). I lurked for a small amount of time, and joined The Order for no reason, really. And that also happened to be the time when the REAL Grim returned to the Order, and quickly got banned again.
What made me stay was really the general level of intelligence (which is surprisingly high), and the fact that everyone likes Fallout.
After a while I got given the post of moderator of General Fallout (Ozrat, the normal moderator, had been away for a while), and later I got General Gaming, Fallout 3 and Fallout RPG Gameplay/Tech as well.

I once decided to search for an interesting Fallout site, so I typed 'Fallout' in google.
The first site on the list was No Mutants Allowed, I tried to register but there was already someone called 'Dan', so I decided to check the second site, V13.

I joined it and began posting untill it close down, and after a few months of not posting anywhere, I joined DAC. From posting at DAC, I soon started visiting #Fallout, and at one point met Odin who came looking for some way to convert all the DC posts over to the new PHPbb or Vbulletin he was going to install.

Then came a time I learned a lot about DC converters and of the fact they are hard to come by and not working.
Soon after, the new PHPbb was launched and I could register finally with my name at NMA.
Moved from poster to mod to admin, now I'm more of a sleezy lurker kind of user heh.

Kharn said:
(personal history note) This was around the time I got kicked out of the UV for being an annoying little cunt, still under the nick Techno Freak there. I made a break with my spamming past and rejoined NMA (I had posted there before, but not much) under the nick Kharn the Betrayer. I also found The Order via NMA, when Miro made a newspost about it, and later got TO hosted on an NMA-based WebBBS forum before pulling it off again to my own server and later getting it hosted once again (hence Miro's comment when TO rejoined that "we thought we got rid of them")

What's the UV and how long has the Order been around? I've always assumed it was a new creation and sort of was just a hang out. Any reason it got started?

And how did Odin get to be the one running the site (on the assumption that he did). Did he personally know Miro or was just one of the uber active ones on the site?

Keep the stories coming, I'm enjoying hearing where everyone is from and eager to hear everyone else's tale.

I should also add another reason why Xotor stands out in my mind - his posts are the reason I've always gone nVidia instead of ATi when it comes to graphics cards, and while I don't know for sure if my experience would have been much different I've always been satisfied with them and never once had any sort of problem. So if you're reading this Xotor - Thanks!

lilfyffedawg said:
What's the UV and how long has the Order been around? I've always assumed it was a new creation and sort of was just a hang out. Any reason it got started?

And how did Odin get to be the one running the site (on the assumption that he did). Did he personally know Miro or was just one of the uber active ones on the site?

The Unwashed Village is probably Fallout's oldest "clan" (though it's not strictly a clan, since, apart from Tactics, Fallout never had a multiplayer game). You may remember them from a random encounter in Fallout 2, where a bunch of 10mm-pistol-wielding leather-armour clad people are shooting a "loser" (the infamous spammer Grim, who was a member of TO/NMA for a while before getting banned recently too and who now hangs at the AOF/Asshats (which is a story on its own)).

The Order was established the 21st of February 1999 by DSM Madness, on the Interplay forums. The basic idea back then was that whereas the UV is a lose bunch of disorganised people, the Order would be somewhat stricter and more organised organisation. I don't know how much that still holds true by now, but Jesus, it's been 6 years.

I'm not sure about Odin's story, I wasn't there. I guess he was the most eligible candidate when Miro had to leave and, at that, he did a smashing job.

I began playing fallout2 in mid 98 I think, but I started visiting fallout sites about a year later. I started out as a frequent poster at DAC under the nick Mr. Set. I also remember a guy called cmcd. We were probably the most active users on the fallout2 forum at DAC in ’99, but only occasionally posted on NMA. As time passed, I was lurking more and more at NMA, but rarely posted. Kinda the same situation now, hehe.

Some of the names that come to mind from the old NMA: Xotor (obviously), Happy-suitcase man (always loved that nick), ARTYR, Doyle, and a bunch of people that are still here today. An interesting thread I remember was the one where me and Miroslav figured out that we were from the same neighborhood in Belgrade, Serbia. Oh and there was also a huge thread on miniguns at one point.

KQX said:
Some of the names that come to mind from the old NMA: Xotor (obviously), Happy-suitcase man (always loved that nick), ARTYR, Doyle, and a bunch of people that are still here today. An interesting thread I remember was the one where me and Miroslav figured out that we were from the same neighborhood in Belgrade, Serbia. Oh and there was also a huge thread on miniguns at one point.

Agh *dives on KQX* THERE SHALL BE NO MENTIONING OF BOZAR VS. VINDICATOR *EVER* *AGAIN*

*hits KQX for good measure*

Happy-Suitcase man, I remember him, mostly because of the nick. And APTYP and A Player Type Called Arthur, who I kept thinking were one and the same person.

*hits KQX again* F'in bozar. F'in vindicator.

Back