History of NMA

lilfyffedawg said:
keep em coming guys... Come on odin, Rosh... and Briosa! Quit saying tommorow and post it gawd damn it :).

Their afraid to admit that they were created out of the sheer amount of emotions we feel towards Fallout. Really since they only exist online its completely possible that they are just bots in the form of persona's that are manifested by our feelings. Roshambo is the hate towards the crap company's and people. Odin is the tireless reporter and planner for our future dreams of a post-apocalyptic rpg. Briosafreak...uh...well as Briosafreak is...he does stuff. (sorry Briosafreak I dont know much about you)

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

P.S.

While the others exist due to the "Wasteland theme" Im directly related to Fallout and what all you people feel. Remember...if you stop believing in me...I'll die...

The_Vault_Dweller said:
Their afraid to admit that they were created out of the sheer amount of emotions we feel towards Fallout. Really since they only exist online its completely possible that they are just bots in the form of persona's that are manifested by our feelings. Roshambo is the hate towards the crap company's and people. Odin is the tireless reporter and planner for our future dreams of a post-apocalyptic rpg. Briosafreak...uh...well as Briosafreak is...he does stuff. (sorry Briosafreak I dont know much about you)

No you fool! Don't give away our secrets! You don't know what they're capable of! They are gskjdfslkajsfd....gak, help me! help ,me ea3ax$%sfd*$WA(dfasDF*(AP.....

*END OF TRANSMISSION*

Dove said:
Yes. She never plans to post here again. I think I may be one of the few people she can still tolerate from NMA, the Order especially.
Hmmm. Does that perhaps have something to do with the obsessing the followed her posting her picture?

I mean, yes, she is fairly attractive, but stalker-ish attributes are rarely attractive to a girl.

Meh, she pretty much left before I arrived, but she seemed a nice girl, if unsuited to this website.

Also, Briosa does not so much "do stuff" as cause stuff to be done.

Um ... yeah!

I don't know, I never really liked Kat - for the brief while I known her.

She was all like 'Oh everybody, look at me! I'm shy! Woo-hoo'!

The sheer paradoxes in that alone annoyed me greatly.

Jebus said:
I don't know, I never really liked Kat - for the brief while I known her.
She was all like 'Oh everybody, look at me! I'm shy! Woo-hoo'!
The sheer paradoxes in that alone annoyed me greatly.
Plus, she wasn't male.

I love the atmosphere of the Fallout RPG's and I soon found the NMA news page, so it became my home page. After a few years I started lurking on the forums, especially GD. I was pleasantly surprised, because instead of the bleating of the monosyllabic sheep that seems to characterize normality, ideas are actually well reasoned and usually supported with evidence. This is a place where I can learn from others and know that people will understand my own views, even if they don't agree with them. The anti-intellectualism in Australia is not found here and no one ever tells me to write shorter posts because it makes their head hurt (the university student forums have been a big disappointment for me). Simply put, the vast majority of people in this community are intelligent and generally considerate, although we have different viewpoints on many things. That is why I like it here so much.

The lack of tolerance when it comes to blatant and continued stupidity brings to mind another title for NMA, 'No Retards Allowed' (no offense to the mentally handicapped intended). I approve of Rosh's punishment of arrogant, stupid noobs, although I think he is a bit too harsh sometimes. Sadly, it appears to me that we 'normal', rational, considerate people of NMA are some of the rare mutants of the internet.

KQX said:
ARTYR's goodbye

I think we should all try digging in the archives for lost treasure. It'll elicit more memories...precious NMA memories.

Hah, I missed so much ni my absence...that's a funny goodbye.

Note his name is either "APTYP" or "Arthur", though. The idea behind APTYP is, I think, a cyrillic spelling of "Arthur", though it isn't exactly right, because APTYP would be pronounced "Artoer".

Starseeker, the Illuminati is a former Fallout now simply writer's clan started by William, formerly oTO. A fun bunch.

Dove said:
Yes. She never plans to post here again. I think I may be one of the few people she can still tolerate from NMA, the Order especially.

I, for one, am very glad she's gone.

per said:
Or allegedly female members...

Damn straight

It's funny, by the way. All the people from *my* time seem to be gone. All of you "oldies" are really newbies who joined while I was gone, heh, meaning I don't really exist in most people's memories of NMA. Too old, ey?

Kharn said:
It's funny, by the way. All the people from *my* time seem to be gone. All of you "oldies" are really newbies who joined while I was gone, heh, meaning I don't really exist in most people's memories of NMA. Too old, ey?

That just reflects how long the site has been around. A lot of us feel old, having had this site has a key part of our web surfing in the past several years. But it was still around for a good length of time before that :). If you notice... most people here came around after Fallout 2. What was here after Fallout 1? Was it here?

Kharn said:
meaning I don't really exist

What was that? Thought I saw a post flutter by in the corner of my eye... But I guess it was just a bodiless whisper... in the cold wind...

Now where did Montez get off to?

Hello?

Anyone?

lilfyffedawg said:
That just reflects how long the site has been around. A lot of us feel old, having had this site has a key part of our web surfing in the past several years. But it was still around for a good length of time before that :). If you notice... most people here came around after Fallout 2. What was here after Fallout 1? Was it here?

This site's from not too long after Fallout 1, yeah. I forgot the old GeoCities addy, but good chance it's all stored somewhere. I started lurking around the release of Fallout 2, even though I wasn't *that* familiar with the games (wasn't even that aware that Fallout 2 was out and I'd only played Fallout a couple of times). I'm post-Geocities, though, I'm a GameStats-noob. I don't think there's anyone from the Geocities time left. Maybe Rosh.

But heck, I think I even joined or at least posted the first time before Shadowman, Happy Suitcase and Doyle and those oldies joined. Miro, Rosh and Xotor had been here longer, though.

Also funny is that I never realised that Smackrazor, who used to run NPA with me and Aristohirudes (now Vaecrius, big person in the Fallout anti-clan AOF), went on to create Pipboy2000LE...all these people running about.

Man, I'm such a noob. I only go back to the fairly early days of V13, when NMA was at GameStats and DAC (then very obscure to me) was at fallout2.net.

I don't even know how I first got to NMA, all I remember is flinging my very n00b self at some guy called Sweaty Testes in the forums. D: Good times.

oooo i remember that site! I actually posted in the forums back then if anyone knew where i could read ALL the tips of the moment because I liked them so much. I must say... it's been improved a lot since then :).

Very nostalgic pics Brios... any of the geocities site or was it much the same?

I don`t remember the url so i can`t find it. I started coming here already at Gamestats, so i don`t know how it was, there are old timers like me, and dinossaurs from the day the vaults were beeing built like Kharn and Rosh, maybe they remember :)

Edit: and PCE_ElPrez, he`s more dinossaurish than me :)

My memory is pretty bad due to the years of alcohol abuse but i remeber that i found NMA around the time fallout 2 came out. Of the things i do remember about the old days were trying not to say anything too stupid (to avoid being harassed by Xotor), the minigun thread, and a flame war with APTYP.

Wow, great links Briosa. That really took me back.

Here's some nice ones from the archived board:

Crazy ARTYR

ARTYR dislikes penis

First post by Happy Suitcase man Kharn liked him from the start.

Kharn's thoughts on Europe 5 years ago (also a surprisingly large contribution from cmcd of the old DAC forums)

Doyle and guns

A poor noob

Guns in Space An "interesting" discussion. It might remind you of a certain other "discussion" that tortured a lot of us here.

I do have the link to the infamous minigun thread, but something tells me its dangerous to post it.

Wow, nice to see that some people remember stuff I didn't. I'll post my story...

I remember reading about Fallout in some computer magazine back before it was released and immediatly figured out that this would be a game for me, I remember getting the demo and being quite dissapointed but I still wanted to try out the game.

After I got it it went on to search the net for various tips and such about the game, this was back in 97/98 when I didn't have internet access at home. It ended up with me going to the university and finding NMA, I remember that I thought this site had it all on Fallout.

The reason I stayed was because I started posting news for NMA around when FOT was being worked on (2000), I started getting active on the IPLY boards and found news before it was posted on DAC, NMA and V13.

Kreegle actually offered me a position as a news poster for DAC, I really didn't plan on getting involved but the honour of being asked got me thinking. But I started thinking about NMA, because that was the main Fallout site for me. So I emailed Miroslav and asked if he wanted help, and he did. So I turned down Kreegle and joined NMA.

After being active a while, Miroslav started to posting/working on the site less and less. Since Miro was more and more absent I felt the urge to do more, eventho I only had a basic understanding of HTML code. I also figured out that gamestats was a dying site, then I brokered a deal with gphosting.com for web hosting.

We were actually going to get php/mysql support on gphosting, the aim was to move onto phpBB at that time. But they ended up putting it off and off, so we couldn't move onto phpBB.

It was also around this time that Miroslav hit me with the bomb, he emailed me to tell me that he was leaving for the military the very next day, and he hoped that I could run the site while he was gone.

By this time I didn't know squat about the site and it's code, I had to learn the hard way..learn by doing. The only help I had was Rosh, which was good at stuff.

At first I was afraid to tinker with the sites code and content, but I ended up trying and making alot of changes. Rosh helped at times, but most of the changes are my bad. So blame me if you don't like them :P

Since gphosting didn't give us what we needed and the fact that they hardly answered my emails, I had to take action again and move the site. Rosh and me decided on telefragged, we had alot of other offers including gamespy.

Now that we were on a server with php/mysql support we could install phpBB, which was the time when I tried to convert the dcforum to phpBB. It went ok, but the sorting was off, so I decided to start fresh and just store the old dcforum (had to insert the converted phpBB since they disabled cgi on the server).

Since I knew that Kharn used to be a moderator I offered him an admin position and hosting for the TO site, which turned out great. I consider him a very close friend.

I also remembered Briosafreak and ended up offering him a news position, which he did excellent. Even better than me! He also got admin right later on, since it would help my burden.

Rosh has stayed like he used to, vicious and helpfull. He's stayed as the main forum admin like he always was, his insight and knowledge of the gaming industry/Fallout has given me much.

As for Miroslav, well after the miltary I hardly talked to him. I had his cell number and could contact him for dns changes and such. But he started to leave after FOT, and still haven't gotten back into the scene. I recently got in touch with him and can say he's doing fine. Oh and he says hi to you guys.

Other guys I remember are Starseeker, Xotor (which I'm sad that we lost), APTYP and Per...+ others but I can't post the entire list can I ;)

All in all, I'm very happy with the site and how it has evolved. There's still alot of work I want to do, but things take time.

Back