History of NMA

I like this website way better than Halo Waypoint. Better community, people who actually know what they are talking about, and I have a lesser chance of being banned because of some ridiculous rule that pretty much many people break.

I am banned from Waypoint from Nov. 10 to 24 because I made a post that was "not constructive". Just look at that website as a whole. I do not hate it, but I swear, people are as dumb as rocks there.

Anyways, it is amazing how old this website. I like how organize it is, and I like the fact that I do not have to make a "Halo" related avatar/picture profile.

I like this website way better than Halo Waypoint. Better community, people who actually know what they are talking about, and I have a lesser chance of being banned because of some ridiculous rule that pretty much many people break.

I am banned from Waypoint from Nov. 10 to 24 because I made a post that was "not constructive". Just look at that website as a whole. I do not hate it, but I swear, people are as dumb as rocks there.

Anyways, it is amazing how old this website. I like how organize it is, and I like the fact that I do not have to make a "Halo" related avatar/picture profile.

Change your avatar. :newevil:
He changed his avatar eventually haha. Probably the ugliest one I have seen here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Change your avatar. :newevil:
Ehhh, no. I missed this community so much (no sarcasm by the way).

Captain's log, page 236:
Three years have passed since the great forum migration, and we're facing another disaster now. Korin, our despotic ruler, has decided to bring chaos and despair upon us on the eve of the new year celebrations in 2016. Old vBulletin forum has been left behind for good along with old, handcrafted, clunky, and most beloved homepage ripe with tons of original Fallout goodies. We've got colourful and unified XenForo based homepage instead, although with promise of all the valuable content to be bring back later. I strongly suspect that nobody here believe such promises though, with exception of overly optimistic Crni Vuk perhaps, so we have to wait and see.
May the holy atom protect us all!

Hmmm, this seemed like a very interesting topic.
Is there anyone keeping a document of sorts for this?

Hmmm, this seemed like a very interesting topic.
Is there anyone keeping a document of sorts for this?

I am. I have been combing archives for weeks.

For the average visitor, what brought you to NMA, what makes you stay?

My uncle introduced me to Fallout 1 and 2 around 1999 or so inevitably mentioning No Mutants Allowed in the process...for reasons I will mention later. I had to look up some information while playing the games and it was the site to go to. He gave me copies of the game which I took back to my house. I only had dial up back then, so internet use was fairly limited and then none at all. I did visit again around 2001 maybe 2002, but only lurking while browsing at school. It wasn't until I joined the military in 2004 and moved to a decent city with good internet early 2005 that I became a member. I've stayed so long because I have made friends here. I know the people. We share similar interests. It's better than fucking Facebook or Twitter that is for damn sure. I did spend some time away while in Iraq and field exercises but I will never leave. If I leave I'm dead.

For the old timers, the same questions but further. How has the site changed since you first came here?

Am I considered an old timer yet? The site has changed a lot. The old 90's style message boards looked like garbage. Probably the main reason I never joined any boards back then aside from spotty internet access. Plus I was just too damn busy playing video games.

It looks different than it did back in 05. The moderation is much more lax. Spambots are worse. Now we have a shoutbox which may or may not have cut down our posting. People come and go for various reasons. We get regular migrations of users depending on what game is coming out or who pissed off who. Back in the Roshambo days we got a bad reputation due to his excessive behavior. That kinda stuck long after he got butthurt and left.

Wooz carried the torch a bit, bashing me around when I first stumbled into the board - utterly clueless on how things worked. We got more traffic back when Fallout 3 was coming out but it was vicious. I missed the Van Buren disappointment as well as those weird Tactics days when various clans sprung up every week.

Fallout 4 was a bloodbath but we prepared for it. We had New Vegas to soften the blow. Now we don't know what to expect. The flow of members we got from Fallout 4 slowed down and many left. We have adapted over time to deal with trolls and the shunning we get across the web. Speak of NMA over at Bethesda forums or Reddit or Something Awful or even Codex and people freak...most of it undeserved.

What role have you played in making the site what it is?

Funny enough back in 2007 I got offered a moderator position, but I was too busy in the military. I think Gonzalez was busy or something. Plus I liked to talk a little shit every now and again and I wasn't quite ready to rein myself in. If only I would have considered Rosh. :)

I always wanted to help with the site any way I could. I contributed to fan fiction/theory when I visited here in the early days, often choosing to lurk in The Order, occasionally posting there before being told to shod off. It wasn't until people started complaining about Sander all the time that I considered stepping up and filling a need so to speak. I started with the Rpg Project which floundered but is still on the back burner, then the news team, now admin. Mainly I deal with spam bots, co-ordinating with other moderators/admins like Planhex, SuaSide, Hassknecht, Dead Guy, usually to deal with trolls, disputes, order (hate double posts unless the thread calls for it, typos in titles, OCD stuff), and generally trying to keep people happy and posting.

We have a lot of projects brewing both here at NMA and in The Order of which I am now a member. I am guilty of spamming every now and again, but I am of the opinion that it is better for people to post than be too afraid to communicate like I once was...it defeats the point otherwise. I have a bunch of ideas on how to improve things around here and I hope we can manage to have a thirty year anniversary in the future.

Any fond memories? Who do you remember being incredibly active that is now gone?

Tons. The early days just gave me fond memories interacting with people online. I still laugh when I think about Brother None calling me a pussy when I complained about him being rude. Even mean users like Wooz entertained and eventually they warmed up to me (a little) although Wooz glared at me rather silently the last time I walked by. I could name members all day that I miss. As a matter of fact I will make a list:

The Vault Dweller
Silencer
PsychoSniper
Welsh
Odin
Roshambo
Sander
Wooz
Tagaziel
Malkavian
Verevoof
Pope Viper
Sicblades
Dove
DirtyDreamDesigner
Victor
BigBoss
Courier
Little Robot
Ozrat
Ratty
Yamu
Yoshi
Strider
Pipboy2000
Dirk Magirk
WillisPDunley
Serge
Briosafreak
Per

So many more. I can think of a few of them right now that I know by avatar alone. Another thing old message boards lacked. I miss Yoshi's lucid drug posts. I miss seeing the NFL thread even though I didn't visit it I knew Dammitboy and Brother None were in there posting. I wish things went differently but people get old...

And for the men behind the masks... Who is Miroslav!

My uncle was good friends with him actually which is how I learned of the site although I didn't know who Miroslav was until 2010 when I met with my uncle and mentioned being a member, then he brought up that he knew Miroslav while serving in the military. Funny stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I do like about these boards is the history.

I remember joining in 2010 (not an old-timer yet) and just kind of not staying. I dipped in every now and then, but it wasn't until Fallout 4 came out that I stayed.

I wish I stayed back in the day, I feel like there were parts of my life where coning on here would have helped.

I didn't stay around because the atmosphere was just too toxic for me, and considering I was rather young at the time, I took things way too personally.

But there are some good people here, and some fun times with trolls.

I actually can't wait for Fallout 5 for whatever shit is thrown at us.

I was 100% sure i had posted here before.. Ohh well! I found this site somewhere between 99-01 i think? This was actually the second Fallout site i found but i can't remember the other. It was run by a guy called Nelonrokk or something like that on RPG planet? Anyways i made an account after several years using guides/checking news around 2003-2004 and i remeber posting mostly questions and being guilty of using more than one question and exclamation marks when i posted.. Shame.

Anyway i could not remember my login details so around the time i made this account i contacted Brother None and got this account instead. Sadly it seems like my old one is removed as it is nowhere to be found but maybe that is for the better? :P

Far oldschool but this was my second or third forum ever and it is the only one i'm still using even after all these years.

Last edited:
I am a frequent user of r/fallout and I watch RetrospectiveGaming, both of them led me here

Hey guys, I got to thinking about it while reading a debate between Silencer and Briosa in the News Comments and realized, I know nothing about the site's past.

For the average visitor, what brought you to NMA, what makes you stay?

For the old timers, the same questions but further. How has the site changed since you first came here? What role have you played in making the site what it is? Any fond memories? Who do you remember being incredibly active that is now gone?

And for the men beyond the masks... Who is Miroslav!

Hrm... My story is pretty simple. I first found No Mutants Allowed when I played Fallout 2. I was in love with the games and think I first used the site for a walk through during my second play through. Sigh, my favorite part of it was the humor section. I loved the ring fights between say, the gangs of New Reno. Whoever wrote those was great fun BTW :).

I remember coming to this site a LOT back when it was at a different url. At least, I coulda sworn it was a different url. I always had trouble remembering the name so I hope the name was different :). I don't remember my name on the forums but I typically just spent my time in the Fallout 3 suggestions. Sigh, I remember suggesting some insane idea where you could get in power in say Vault City and take on a managerial role. All I can say is, thank god the devs didn't listen to me :).

I've been on and off on nma, coming back and being active for a long collection of months only to get tired and leave Fallout for a while only to come back looking for more.

That's all there is about me... I know this is a lot like the hello topic but I thought it would be nice to get a nice little history of the site going :).
I came here because fuck fallout 4 and I liked the isometric games.

@ TorontoReign.... Seriously, I am only #4 on your list of people you miss.... Jeesuz..... I feel like chopped liver now.

I kid. I remember a lot of the same folks and am in touch with only a few. Lots of fun on this board back in the day. I wonder where everyone went off too.

I see. Well the avatar is familiar but not from here I don't think.

I've always browsed here, mostly in the Fallout 2 days. I'm getting away from megaforums like facebook, reddit, and 4chan because they're just trash. Fallout is maybe my favorite game of all time so here I am.

Back