History of NMA

I came here originally to learn more about the Fallout world and characters. Come to think of it, I did a search for the voices and faces from Fallout because I swore that I recognized them. After stumbling onto the site I found that I was right and that McGyver, the future star of Monk, Ron Pearlman and many other big namers nowadays were small timers back then.

I then checked out the forums and became a lurker ever since. Also the biggest thing I liked about this site was meeting more fans from such a non-mainstream game. It felt so good to know other people shared my feelings of disappointment when Fallout became Sellout.

I bought Fallout 3, noted that it felt different than the originals that I bought years ago, replayed Fallout 1, fell in love with it all over again, googled for a Fallout community site, and here I am.
*Exhales*

Just a note, this is a history thread and not a "how I found NMA" or "introduce yourself" thread. Let's reserve it for the old wolves-ate-our-spellchecker anecdotes.

lilfyffedawg said:
For the average visitor, what brought you to NMA, what makes you stay?

I first came to NMA when I was looking for some Fallout hints, a friend linked me to the site years ago... I can't remember exactly when. I didn't make my forum account until I started coming here regularly although I never actually posted.

For the old timers, the same questions but further. How has the site changed since you first came here?

I can't really say anything about the community because I never participated in it until late last year. There wasn't all that much content although this site was a great Fallout resource.. the layout was a bit different too. I really only came here for the news, mods, and Fallout-related miscellany.

What role have you played in making the site what it is?

None.. I've not posted on the forums until recently even though I have been coming here for a very long time. I've only really been a silent observer.

Any fond memories?

Probably the fondest memory was ages ago.. I'd been coming here but never really participated in the forums much and I'd heard whispers about how hardcore the fans here are. Being a regular visitor myself I got all up in arms when somebody on another forum I go to (and still go to, general forum called LUElinks) started dissing the forums. I had intended to flame the guy but realised I couldn't really say anything as I wasn't really part of the forums, so I went in and happened across Roshambo and a few others and thought "woah." <3 NMA

Also I remember being really pissed when my friend linked me here and I saw the "No Mutants Allowed", I really hated the title of the site for a few weeks because I was in this big "holy shit super mutants are SO AWESOME" phase, then I got over it. Its pretty funny when I think back on it, though.

Who do you remember being incredibly active that is now gone?

Can't really say. My forum experiences in my time at this site have been kinda like most vault dwellers entering the outside world. They monitor a small part of it and make occasional trips there, but never long enough to get a good idea of what its like.

SimpleMinded said:
I wonder if somebody should document here what happened to Rosh and Odin?

Yes, someone should. I've been around for a while (lurked occasionally long before I registered), and I still barely have a clue what happened to Rosh. As for Odin... he could be afk, for all I know.

Yeah I second that what happened to Rosh?

From what I know (not very much), it seems as if Rosh was kinda like the jaded angry cop and just didn't want to play nice with stupid people anymore.

I remember one of the threads where one of the mods, actually criticised Rosh for being too hard or something like that. Then I think the disagreement continued for a lot more posts. Man I wish I remembered what that thread was about.

Roshambo left due to disagreements about NMA policy towards Fallout 3. His opinion being that we should have openly attacked it and have been unrelentingly critical from the moment it was announced under Bethesda's flag.

Brother None said:
Roshambo left due to disagreements about NMA policy towards Fallout 3. His opinion being that we should have openly attacked it and have been unrelentingly critical from the moment it was announced under Bethesda's flag.

Wow. I figured he was jaded but never figured him for a "revolutionary". Guy was cool and I will miss him.

But yeah, I do have pride for NMA and how it doesn't get on its knees like many other video game news sources.

But I guess running a "insurgency" campaign against a game is pretty radical.

*shrugs* He brought in the note fairly late - when it was really too late to do much of anything about how bad Fallout 3 was shaping up to look - and fairly forcefully.

Nor do I think it would've done much good, but he seems to think otherwise. He might be right, it's impossible to tell.

Didn't Rosh also leave for a while after tactics?

I came here because i could not figure out why the hell it took forever to load between "sequences" in Fallout 1 (or 2). Then i found out that if i patched it I would lose my saved game.

Now I want to know how to refuel the car?

The fffuuuuu?

Try stickin' around this time, UJ :)

I dunno if Rosh was gone after Ticktacks, I wasn't here m'self in that period.

Aye, it's a classic. If you're wondering why SA cut out most of the names, it's because almost all the posts they quote were made by Rosh or Sorrow.

Good times.

Actually, only two of the twenty quoted posts were made by me and two rants were made by Rosh.

My two posts are pretty tame - one where I call FINO3 an expansion for Akalabeth and one where I say why I don't feel a duty to buy very luxury good on market.

Anyway, it remided me how crazy we were before FINO3 got released. Especially that guy who slapped his girlfriend :lol: .
Ahh... to be young again...

Thank God, things have cooled down.

Back