How did you discover Fallout ?

I saw Wasteland in an EB (I think) way back in the 80s. On the back of the box it said something like "Forget about wands and magic spells, it takes an Uzi to take down a Robo-Biker Scum!" Something like that (I'm paraphrasing). I was SOLD instantly! Me and my 286 machine with the 30meg HDD.

All my D&D friends loved WL too, when Fallout came out there was no chance of missing it.

Baldur's Gate II is my favourite all time game - it was only a matter of time before I had to play the Fallout series.

I research games a lot and I'd heard so much critical praise for Fallout that I had to experience it.

I got the Fallout collection last year and got addicted to Fallout 2 for some time. I still remember my epic fight against Metzger and the Slavers, which lasted till around 4am in the morning. I had the rival gang on my side helping out in the massive confrontation. And all the while 'Khans of New California' was looping :D

I know I posted in this thread before. However, about Wasteland, I bought it as soon as I could afford it for my C64 in the late 80s.

I waited on Fallout, however, there were a few years there that I just did very little to NO PC or console gaming. I purchase F1 and F2 in the dual jewel pack at a walmart for like $10 in 2002. Those two games got me back INTO gaming in general.

I actually didn't discover Fallout until after FO3 was announced. I would have sooner, but I didn't own a computer until like 2001. Not too mention I have always been a console gamer.

A few years back I met someone who's favorite game was Fallout and introduced me to it. I am currently playing Fallout 1... and it is my first time. I have 2 and 3, but those can wait.

I was introduced to both Fallout games back in '99 I think and besides Deus Ex these are the games I've played over and over again without getting bored :)

I remember my friend telling me about these two games he bought at Wal-Mart that came together for $10. He was talking about this bad ass dog in front of someones house he was supposed to kill that he couldnt. He tried rockets, shotguns, and even hand to hand but never could kill it. He told me about aimed shots, and the descriptions with critical hits, and how you could steal and most importantly kill anyone. I was just in total shock and Awe at the sound of this game. almost 6 years later I still have those two original discs.

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread sooner.

I got into Fallout through my PC Gamer subscription. The first Demo disk I was sent had Daggerfall on it, shortly thereafter I got the one that had the Fallout demo. That period of the mid 90's really was the golden age of PC gaming for me.

After replaying the demo a few times I preordered the game. Within a week or two, right before I beat the game the first time, I got onto the internet for the first time and promptly joined the old Fallout forum that Interplay ran (I was known, probably not surprisingly, as Outlaw).

In between FO1 and 2 coming out I tracked down Wasteland. After hearing that Fallout was its spiritual succesor how could I not? So I played Wasteland a bunch. (I loved making my whole party melee weapon masters and giving them axes, "_____ is turned into a pile of hamburger!") Good times.

FO 2 came out and while I liked it a lot I think over anticipation may have colored my opinion of it because I still like FO1 better. Tactics was ok but it didn't scratch the Fallout itch for me as completely as it could have. Off and on during the years I would stop by NMA and lurk. I did pick up BoS in a Bargain bin for less than 2 bucks and spent a drunken weekend beating it co-op with my cousin. The less said about that the better...

Which leads me to now, having already preordered, played, beaten and lost interest in Fallout 3. I'm still waiting to scratch the Fallout itch left after FO2. I suppose all that's left for me now is to finally dig up the Van Buren tech demo (still, haven't played it yet) and imagine what could have been.

I'd heard of Fallout before, but never played it. When I saw annoucments for Fallout 3, I was interested, but when I found out that it was a post-apocalyptic RPG, I was instantly sold.

I had a friend that his brother had a macintosh long time ago. Here, in Argentina, it is not common to see a "powerpc", but he had it for studying.

As long as getting software was quite difficult, he owned a lot of mac magazines, those that came with a CD with a lot of stuff.

Well, in one of those CDs, there was a demo of fallout 1, and one day started to play it and got fascinated!

so as another two games that I liked so much, Escape Velocity and ARES!

I bought Fallout a long ass time ago, but I skipped over Fallout 2 until after I played Fallout 3. Bought a disc that has Fallout 2 and Tactics on it, but also Fallout 1... kind of waste, but I guess it's cool.

Like 6 or 7 years ago I used to go to this Computer Access center and some computer tech there used to monitor it. One day he had a bunch of old games he didn't want anymore and I just happened to pick up FO1, best decision of my life, that's what got me hooked.

Via a friend, he kept raving on and on about how cool the game was, so I decided to give it a look. Funnily I ended up playing Fallout 2 before Fallout 1 due to him giving me the former first. :)

I'm surprised that there haven't been more "I started playing Fo1 / 2 after playing FO3" type entries here.

rcorporon said:
I'm surprised that there haven't been more "I started playing Fo1 / 2 after playing FO3" type entries here.
Why? NMA isn't really a community that's conducive to people who prefer Fallout 3 over the originals, which is what usually happens when it's the first one played.

Also, most of the people that I know who have played Fallout 3 as their only Fallout games has little interest in old school gaming, or any deep RPGs (not to preclude that they WOULDN'T like it, just the trend I personally noticed so far)

I have a friend who has purposefully avoided playing the other Fallout games so as not to be disappointed with the 3rd.

Still haven't made up my mind if that was a smart move or just a really depressing commentary on the standard of current games.

Preemptive nostalgia. I dream about this world going up in flames anyways, might as well haunt my computer with my visions.

My dad got if for me when I was like 13-14, 2000 I think or so... at the time he used to get me some cheap and horrible games, so I didn't bother playing it...

Came 2004, I was going through my old collection of CD's, having played all the current games to the point of exhaustion and boredom, and found the ubiquitous FO2 cd lying around. I thought 'Hey, why the hell not'' and started playing it.

Hated the temple of trials, didn't have a manual, and got stuck on the 'locked door' which has to be opened with lockpick skill in the Temple of Trials. Gave up...

2006 came, and for some reason I ended up playing it again. This time round I tried all the buttons, all the possibilities, and finally managed to open the acursed door. That literally was the door that opened up to me the marvel that was Fallout. From there on, I was like ''OMG WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING!'' even by the graphic standards of the time, I was like ''Wow this is truly awesome! This game is genious, hilarious and incredibly satisfying!'' ... so on I played. Repeatedly.

I then gave FO1 a spin. Preferred FO2, but still love both games. They are easily on my top 5 games list.

Its funny to think I had plenty of chances to miss this opportunity. Clearly fate had other plans...

Played Fallout 1/2 as they came out. I was lucky enough to have a cousin who got me in pen & paper RPGs before my teens. I was sadly disappointed at the depth in cRPGs for years as a result, but I kept buying them due to the small amount of improvement from game to game. Fallout 1 is one of a handful of games that gets it right dispite the limits of technology. Where oh where has the improvement of choices gone?

Back