How did you discover Fallout ?

Like a lot of people, I discovered Fallout via 3.

Looking back, I can kinda see why most people on here didn't like it. I will say if it weren't for it, I would have never even heard of the games.

What really got me into the series however was New Vegas. Initially, I didn't think much of it when I first played through it. However, nearly two years later, I gave it another shot and fell in love with it.

It was then I decided to play through the original games. They took a bit to get used to, but I ended up really liking and appreciating them.

I can't really decide which I like the best out of 1,2, and NV. They all have stuff I love, and stuff that I didn't really care for. They are all great games to me.

I discovered what Fallout was completely by accident. I knew this guy who was a big fan of Fallout 3, and he would talk about it from time to time. The thing was, he barely gave me any specific details about it. "Dude, you can do anything" Was more or less the gist of what I got from him. So seeing it on sale for 20 bucks at a mall, I grabbed it, hardly even reading the back. It got great reviews, so I sprang for it. Upon playing it, and discovering that it was actually a post-apocalyptic (Don't know how he didn't mention that) FPS RPG, I fell it love with it, played all the rest of the series, realized how much better they were, and it's now my favorite series of all time. True story. (I do still like FO3 though.)

My friend "Frost" and I loved Wasteland and played it for hours on end, backing up our saves by copying the entire game folder since you couldn't save ... (every time you leave or enter an area, it would save over the one save game slot). Frost played the "official" sequel (Fountain of Dreams, I think it was called) and declared that it sucked: they took all the bad from Wasteland and none of the good (or so he said), so we thought that was the end of it.

Then one day he calls me up all excited and insists that I come visit him at his college one weekend: says he has a great new game but won't tell me what it is. When I get there, he's playing Fallout, and of course we're both hooked in deep again... creeping around every corner hoping not to jump at the appearance of a Slicerdicer or something, wondering if they'll have another Citadel with rocket-launching guards ... Fallout had its own surprises, of course, and was amazing.

So, that's my story.

-m

I should add that when I got to Frost's dorm room, he closed the door, dimmed the lights, insisted I get comfortable (okay, minds out of the gutter, people; that's not where this is going) in front of the computer (a 386 x 20 MHz PC, iirc), ... and started up the intro sequence. I was mesmerized. I still watch it from time to time and listen to it in my car; it's still in my opinion the best opening sequence of any game. The cinematography (that wonderful, slow pull-back and gradual reveal), the sound design, the music, the Ron Perlman narration, the clear and concise establishment of the setting, the ending transition into the game ... absolute perfection. Still gives me chills. (-:

-m

I call bullshit on the 386. I'm pretty damn sure that MOST new games could barely even remotely run properly on non-pentium, 486 systems by 1997, let alone a 386! Maybe it was, but if that's true, then the game would doubtless have been struggling to operate, and it would've been punishing your friend's system the whole way.

Good call, SnapSlav. Mia culpa. :oops: (Well, I did qualify by saying "iirc"; apparently I didn't "rc.") (8

Now that I'm more awake (thanks to the splash of cold water), I realize that I was mixing up a memory of my friend's dorm room (c. 1991) with his apartment (c. 1997). He did have a 386x20, but that would have been back in ~ 1991, so it must have been Wasteland that we were playing in his dorm. (Along with a slew of other great older games, like Gunship 2000... good times.)

-m

I was in junior highschool at that time, when I got a bunch of game cd's with Fallout 2 as one of them, instantly hooked up, and being the naive teenager that I am, suffice to say it taught me a lot of things.. included the "stuff" ahem.. :oops:

I actually downloaded the Free Demo when the game was first released, It was only about twenty minutes worth of Gameplay, but was hooked. Went straight down to the Games section of Best Buy or Circuit City (one of those two) and bought it. Must not have been a very big file because I had Dialup internet back then.

You can push it to 1-2 hours if you try different kinds of playthrough, but yeah, the demo remains short.

I call bullshit on the 386. I'm pretty damn sure that MOST new games could barely even remotely run properly on non-pentium, 486 systems by 1997, let alone a 386! Maybe it was, but if that's true, then the game would doubtless have been struggling to operate, and it would've been punishing your friend's system the whole way.

Ah, the good old times (more ancient in computer terms) of 386.

DX33, mind you. :confused:

When Doom was first launched it generated an uproar at the time, because the game required as minimum system a 486 DX50, a machine that was only a few months in the market.
It could run in a 386 DX40, but with most graphics option turned off and a lot off sttuter.

In a nutshell? I used to watch my dad and brother play the first two Fallout games when I was still very young. For some reason, I always insisted that they put the purple robes on. Might've been some Freudian mumbo jumbo going on, there.

5 years ago I was visiting a friend of mine and while we were drinking tea and gabbling he offered me to take a look at a curious game, which occurred to be Fallout3. Firstly I supposed It would be a kind of a tiresome shooter or boring strategy, but the world enchanted me at once. After I had finished the game in different ways and got disappointed by impossibility of siding with the Enclave, I was almost ready to leave the universe, but then I discovered mods and Geck. To my mind using and creating mods is even more fascinating than just playing the game) I remember my euphoria after creation of my first building on the Wasteland. Fo2 and Fo1 seemed to have less freedom due to the absence of modding instrument, so I didn't try to play these versions, but read the storyline of the whole world.

Later I stopped gaming to focus completely on studying and my jobs, as I had too much procrastinated before and need to fix the consequences. However this doesn't prevent readind/writing fanfiction or joining fan communities.

Last edited:
My Dad gave my Fallout 2 for Christmas the year it came out. I had never heard of the series before, and had no idea what to expect going into it. The Temple of Trails was a bit of a slow start, but the rush of finding Klamath and really feeling so unprepared for the horrors of the wastes was so friggin' addictive! I got to Vault City before I restarted to have a better character build. Fallout 2 was pretty much the most fun I ever had with an RPG up to that point (or since really.)

It's kinda funny that even though my Father and I have had a rocky relationship he certainly gave me a few gifts that really hit the target. Another big one was giving me his old turntable when I was 14 - that launched another obsession that has lasted 16 years!

I discovered Fallout ( and PC gaming itself ) after I was laid up after an accident left me confined to bed.
One day, my ex brother in law, knowing how bored I was, brought over an old PC, monitor, mouse etc....and on that computer were games like Ultima Underworld,Starcraft, BG and of course Fallout.
My life has not been the same since...before my accident I could care less about video gaming of any kind, or even PCs for that matter.Hell I barely even watched TV back then.
I'm still confined to a bed...but I'm rocking a totally water blocked 4g rig on a 46 " 4 K.

Things have changed.

Last edited:
Pure chance. Overheard a friend talking about it, but by then I was more interested in other games, so I forgot about it. Probably more than a year later, I bumped on it while reading about games of the genre. By then, I remember about my friend who had told me about it. Decided to give it a shot. It immediately surpassed any gaming experience I had, despite any eventual shortcomings. Though Skyrim is an awesome game, amazing and stunning world, Fallout surpassed that, attracting me much more, for a number of reasons I don't want babble about now, but especially because I loved the concept of my actions having an impact on the world around me. Team Vegas ftw, btw.

I read a pony fic, Fallout Equestria, and fell in love with the universe portrayed, so decided to check the source and i was absolutely delighted with the game, have been playing it since then. I personally prefer FO 1 and 2 , i like 3 and New Vegas but if i would pick the formers ones any day (Which reminds me, i like FO3 more than New Vegas)

Last edited:
Few spoilers incoming

I saw the gameplay of fallout 3 and I got dissapointe but I thought: "if there's a third one, there must be a first one".

Bought it, loved it. Great plot and atmosphere. A little sad because Tandi rejected me.

Then I tried out FO2. Kinda felt short in atmosphere, but it made it out with awesome improvements and involving storyline. I felt sad when I came backto see my tribe destroyedn

Back