How powerful is Advanced Power Armour?

Ediros

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
We are talking strictly lore wise and use only Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and New Vegas as a reference.

We know that Enclave Power Armour is superior to T51B, when it comes to protection. It is also a bit more advanced and features different power source than TX-28 Fusion Pack of T51B power armour.

However, I have got no idea how does it compare to 60000 Watts of T51B. I am pretty sure, that Enclave has got miniaturized fusion reactor in the back, judging by the fan and lore mentioning that. Does anyone know how powerful it could be?

Technically the t-51 power supply lasts 60 years—and the clock started around or before 2077.

Doesn’t it last like 100 years overall? It’s still plenty of power, don’t get me wrong. It’s about as much as to power 60 houses at the same time, but there is no mention of Enclave power supply. In fact 60 kWatts is comparable to a good quality tractor and those things can pull tanks as evidenced by the war in the Ukraine.

Doesn’t it last like 100 years overall?
You are correct; I misremembered. The in-game description states that is has fuel for one hundred years.

Fallout starts 80 years in... and Fallout 2 starts another 80 years after that.

We are talking strictly lore wise and use only Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and New Vegas as a reference.

We know that Enclave Power Armour is superior to T51B, when it comes to protection. It is also a bit more advanced and features different power source than TX-28 Fusion Pack of T51B power armour.

However, I have got no idea how does it compare to 60000 Watts of T51B. I am pretty sure, that Enclave has got miniaturized fusion reactor in the back, judging by the fan and lore mentioning that. Does anyone know how powerful it could be?
Is that fan supposed to be cooling the mini reactor because that seems silly? I just doubt my house fan could cool off such a thing.

There is no fan on the ADV power armor. The New Vegas modeler was an idiot.

Okay, my mistake. Could it be used for cooling? Also, now that I think about how does T51B not cook the user? You would need some hefty cooling or an extremely efficient Motors that do not create much heat.

Isn't APA using Metal Alloys with Ceramic Reinforcement (instead of the Polylaminate metal plating of the T-51b)? It might be lighter than the T-51b, so needing less power. Then again, it has a stronger exoeskeleton. Considering that PA has a +3 Strength bonus and APA has +4 strength bonus in FO2, I think its reasonable to assume a +33% improvement in exoeskeleton capacity. You would just have to calculate then how much power such an improvement would demand, assuming the same exoeskeleton efficiency.

I like to think of PA vs APA being somewhat analogous to comparing final production M4 Shermans or maybe even Jumbos vs (original) M1 Abrams (and I'll readily accept that it is a very rough comparison);

The design of Regular PAs use a primitive and brute force approach with an extreme design focus on reliability, toughness and ergonomics; using simpler materials in it's construction and incredibly "field maintenance" friendly design choices to create a design that is 7 across the board that can take a hit and still continue bringing the neverending train of pain upon it's foes.

APAs on the other hand, take all the lessons learned from the regular PAs and mate them together with much better materials and improved/mature part design & shapes and so on.
The thing is, unlike real wold, there was no real further developments on APA as the world ended, so my guesstimate would be 10% to 30%; That is, any/all singular sub-system on an APA would be 10% to 30% better performing (or optimized or have more output and so on) than its regular PA counterparts and as a whole platform an APA being 30% to 50% better than a regular PA in aggregate*

*30% stronger but also 30% faster aand 20% smoother and so on and so forth creating a result that is more than just the sum of it's individual components.

Last edited:
Back