IGN previews Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tagaziel, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    The IGN has recently published a preview of Fallout: New Vegas, based on an hour-long play session. The author got to explore the outskirts of New Vegas, right outside the Strip. Here's a quote:<blockquote>Ahead, a series of bright lights that spelled out "Welcome to the Strip." To the left, a series of crumbling buildings, left to the elements on the outskirts of the city. All I had to do was walk forward and head through a gate and I'd be on the Strip. And that's when I ran into a problem. You can't just waltz into downtown New Vegas. You can try, but you'll end up dead.

The outskirts of New Vegas are kept in order by several competing factions. There's the Freeside Gang out on the streets, largely kept under control by the stronger Kings, who it seems are at odds with the New California Republic. And to top it all off, the Followers, who camp out in the Old Las Vegas Mormon Historic Park, are trying to get the entire population off of booze and drugs.</blockquote>
    Link: IGN Fallout: New Vegas preview

2. Bonsai72

Bonsai72 First time out of the vault

Jul 6, 2010
    "The portion of the game I played frequently had issues with maintaining a stable framerate, and the AI quite often had problems quickly finding the best path while moving."

I really hope they fix that in the remaining time, this was what annoyed me most at FO3.

3. jero cvmi

jero cvmi Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 8, 2008
    So, who wants to bet you can recruit the robotic dog if you kill its boss?
    I also bet it's called K-9.

4. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I would go with that assumption. Even if it's not called K-9, it just screams like a possible companion.

5. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Oh, I hope it is. And I also hope there isn't another Dogmeat in the game, never understood the fascination with that dog.

EDIT : As for the framerate, I'd certainly like Obsidian to fix that but considering their track record... Let's just say I would be more than satisfied if the game was as stable as Fallout 3 on the PC.

6. x'il

x'il Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 3, 2009
    But does it talk? unless the thing is able to spout pseudo-philosophical musings i'm not falling for it. :P

:roll:

7. AlexFeature

AlexFeature First time out of the vault

Oct 28, 2008
    I found a funny response to that article on IGN.

(wasn't hard to find it it was the last one posted :))

Kids these days!

8. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    We got it in some thread already some time ago. People are just idiots, because of whatever random reason, every game that is not 8+ on score is handled as if it's crap, bogus, bullshit, junk, filthy cancer and not worth playing. Things like this make me clear, that the games industry is more worse than the movie industry.

9. WorstUsernameEver

May 28, 2010

Sorry.. I know it's not funny but.. but.. I just had to.

10. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I've edited my post to make it more clear.

11. Skynet

Skynet Mildly Dipped

Jun 5, 2003
    Hmm...i would prefer half dog half robot instead of just robot with a brain.

12. IMissLark

IMissLark It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 17, 2004
    HERESY.

(the not liking Dogmeat part, not the not wanting him in this game part)

13. WorstUsernameEver

May 28, 2010
    You hurt my feelings. :(

14. grayx

grayx It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 3, 2008
    Not idiots. Just young. Below 20. And pretty much ignorant. And instant gratification mentality. And they were fed with a same bullshit by media and commercials. And they don't know for anything better. And other things that others can add to this I'm sure...

Problem is [imo] that we are put in same box with this kind of young consumers. There is no separation. 18+ label should be enough to suggest that it's mature content, but no, producers are trying to enlarge the base of consumers, so now there is nearly no distinction between "M" and "T" games... Distinction was come to be are there nipples or not. Or did someone shout "Fuck" in a game... Needless to say: ridiculous, but we are where we are. I once thought that ratings should be abolished, but now I think that it should be mandatory and harshly enforced. Only that way something serious would come out of this industry... But then again, maybe not, there is self-regulatory effects of the market, so...who knows.

As for Marcus, and preview, same old same; we are fed with screenshots as it represents quality of the game, and left to bicker about how true to original Marcus is or isn't, as if that matters at all.

These bits and pieces of info is a same shit as Beth's F3 was made... Judging by that criteria, how real world feels was omitted – but running in fedora was fun.

Funny. And sad for someone who want a lot more then to watch interactive wallpaper. And that notion that hardcore players are only those who do not like present state of gaming industry! Man, that is idiotic, not those poor sods...

But, I generally liked what I saw ;)

15. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I like the general feel of the preview, it's a decent, competent job at giving a rundown of what the previewer did and how did the game react to it, without too much personal bias imposed on it.

16. jero cvmi

jero cvmi Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 8, 2008
    eh, i got 1 out of 2 there.

17. sampson70

sampson70 Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2009
    I don't remember FO3 having (on 360)frame rate issues,was this pre patch? Anyway,my only fear with the game , really is more bugs than FO3. This is why I didn't pre order! :(

18. Aphyosis

Aphyosis Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2009
    I had no issues but a friend of mine had a lot of FPS problems. Completely unplayable rates on a very capable system.

19. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    radiant AI anyone?

bueler?

bueler?