I'm looking for a loot mod

Wanderer94

First time out of the vault
I'm not a big fan of Megamod, but one of the things I did absoultly love about it was the random loot chart. Find random equipment in the many storage areas makes it a bit more interesting than nothing in storage boxes.

I want to know if anyone made a submod for the restoration project or just pure vanilla where we you can find random loot in all the places we travel in the wasteland.

If thier is not a mod..How do we build it?

One aspect of Fallout that really impressed me was that the world seemed lived in.

FO3's world was laughably not so, with its hundred year old first aid kits still in their boxes, less than a hundred feet off of a road, as though no one in their entire life ever thought to look in them—even 85 years before, and doubtless with someone new trying it every few months afterward. The only places that had not been looted (yet) were active domiciles, and places so deadly that few had survived exploring them.

One aspect of Fallout that really impressed me was that the world seemed lived in.

FO3's world was laughably not so, with its hundred year old first aid kits still in their boxes, less than a hundred feet off of a road, as though no one in their entire life ever thought to look in them—even 85 years before, and doubtless with someone new trying it every few months afterward. The only places that had not been looted (yet) were active domiciles, and places so deadly that few had survived exploring them.

I get that part as well and I do acknowledge that. However, A lot of the storage and loot is in areas where civilization has come back into and made it more personal and civilized (I'm not expecting things like pre-war food or gifts) not having much of anything in settlements like vault city, Shady Sands or San Francisco.

Plus on a gameplay mechanic side, it's just a tease to have many different containers available and well..no loot, even in settlements that allegedly are supposed to be rich and flowing with resources. Like I'd rather get rid of them and have only a few points where loot is actually available and not give false hope to myself.

...and not give false hope to myself.

My own take on the franchise was that the world setting was always a false hope.
For me, finding loot somewhere was always astonishing.

*But as to modding the change... I have never explored the engine's scripting. IRRC it requires having a preprocessor installed (?) (from Watcom?)
There are definitely experts on this here (not me). I —suspect— that the loot assignments are not variable lists, but are rather hand placed; such that they probably cannot be updated to cascade the changes across all of the maps. My guess is that every container on each map would have to be updated manually to alter the overall frequency of loot.

**At best (and just speculating) it might be possible to create a prototype item that -again- might be place-able inside all containers (via script automation), and have it become random loot (or nothing) when evaluated...... But I have no idea if this is actually possible within the limits of the engine.

But surely someone here will know the facts on this first hand, and mention it.

Last edited:
My own take on the franchise was that the world setting was always a false hope. (IE. finding loot somewhere was always astonishing.)

*But as to modding the change... I have never explored the engine's scripting. IRRC it requires having a preprocessor installed (?) (from Watcom?)
There are definitely experts on this here (not me). I —suspect— that the loot assignments are not variable lists, but are rather hand placed; such that they probably cannot be updated to cascade the changes across all of the maps. My guess is that every container on each map would have to be updated manually to alter the overall frequency of loot.

**At best (and just speculating) it might be possible to create a prototype item that -again- might be place-able inside all containers (via script automation), and have it —become— random loot (or nothing) when evaluated...... But I have no idea if this is actually possible within the limits of the engine.

But surely someone here will know this first hand, and mention it.

i KNOW The megamod people did it and i really liked that style.. Don't expect much...find something metal and awesome. And it is seemingly easy to move those parts over (to the point I have done partially that) but Haven't found the scripting that would allow it. I have heard folks suggesting for me to use Sfall before calling me slurs, and I see how..but I'm trying to be like "okay..which section would that be in."

AFAIK... Modding Fallout 1 is not well supported at all. Modding Fallout 2 (and presumably FO1 in the FO2 engine) is more feasible.

There are some resources for modding the game; a place to start.

https://f3mic.github.io/

think the mod "FO2XP" did such while adding some other stuff too. maybe that one got incorporated into the megamod at some point

think the mod "FO2XP" did such while adding some other stuff too. maybe that one got incorporated into the megamod at some point

I'd love to see it...I think i was able to jury rig something nice up to it..but not so sure

Back