Industrial pork production and pollution

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Neamos, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Neamos

Neamos Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 30, 2005
    The link

This is very long, but there's nothing to cut. It's just so horrible.

Summary: corporation raises hogs. Destroys the environment of North Carolina. Not regulated at all. Wants to expand to Europe. USA! USA! USA! Yay!

Fuck every person in favour of unregulated free trade. Fuck them right in their empty neoliberal skulls.

2. aronsearle

aronsearle Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 14, 2005
    answer = buy free range.

3. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Fat chance. We've got laws, you know.

4. Blakut

Blakut Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 9, 2008
    Natural gas comes to mind...

5. Neamos

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, but we've (Eastern Europe) also got corruption and greedy bureaucrats...

6. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    I love a good pork steak.

7. horse

horse Vault Fossil
    Orderite

May 31, 2003

well, i did read it. nearly as biased as the bulk of fallout3 previews. is there any data on how water is polluted near those farms? of course, they should be treated as any mass producing facility - regulated till kingdom come. that is whats happening in germany. i grew up in a very rural area in germany (the niederrhein), so i recall some people dying in the described way (suffocating from h2s etc). so basically... i dont get the point of the whole article.

did you expect that a gigantic hog farm smells like rose water?

any of you who are not customed to how meat is produced these days - just take a trip to a random butchery. even the cleanest of them stink like hell. not exactly an eye-opener, but mass production takes everything you liked from your local small businesses and perverts it into something very unpublishable.

8. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    Holy shit!

9. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
  10. Stag

Stag Guest

Jesus Christ, kid, what're you doing? You're no Welsh, and even Welsh is generally tl;dr.

11. Neamos

Jun 30, 2005
    No, but not destroying the environment with extremely toxic waste would be pretty cool.

No one's arguing that they should smell like happiness, but not murdering nearby townsfolk is pretty important. Also, smell is not the main point of the article.

You see what monopolies are doing?!?!?! Article posting is the same!!! Fight the powah!

And please stop it with the image macros, dudes. I get it, you didn't read it. Don't post then.

12. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    What?

Dude, everything East of the Vistula is called "Asia".

13. Ah-Teen

Ah-Teen Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jun 21, 2007
    You've also got Chernobyl. Whats a little pigshit?

14. radnan

radnan A Smooth-Skin

Dec 1, 2006
    i always thought from what i read that the Veal / Cows are the most poluting industrially bred livestock.

but what to do ?

• Genetic modification ? :) - dumber, get fatter quicker, enviromentally friendly poop

• Growing meat in labs on a plate - read about it in Wired :P
    (by far my favourite and should be animal rights activists most favourite too - no nerves no brain no pain .. just meat)

anyhows industrial animals are fucked up - all they eat is corn and soy - which is offcourse their natural food :P

P.S. I'm not an advocate for bio-pretentious methods - we need industrial scale production if everybody is to have meat and not just the rich.

15. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    America finally has a Wunderwaffe against the infidels in Iran!

1. Load up B-2s with pig shit.
    2. Drop it on Teheran.
    3. Ignore the outcry of international community and post videos of shitstormed Iranians on YouTube.

16. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    Mika pwns as usual :D It's the aporkalypse all right!

17. Big T

Big T Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jan 23, 2004
    Read the first two paragraphs, realised I;m veggie, thought "I'm not causing this problem", realised i'm too lazy to solve others problems, got a beer.

*Burp*

Wait, Shit! I'm expelling methane!