Input Devices: The Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Leon, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    For my input devices, my priorities are minimalism, build-quality, price, and looks.

Like many, I used to use whatever cheap crap keyboard I had available. However, I found, though experience, that I much preferred the feel of the laptop-style scissor-switch keyboards and purchased my current keyboard as an impulse buy at Best Buy:

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

The low/thin profile, the feel of the keys, the quality feel, love all of it. Love the back-lit keys too, just for those times when I'm up late and typing in the dark. Handy and looks cool. It's not quite as minimalist as I'd like, but it's a good compromise. And I actually require the numpad... had a couple retail jobs as a cashier, and now I despise entering numbers with anything but the numpad, which I can enter numbers on at ridiculous speed by touch. Not bragging, just saying, can't live without the numpad.

As for the mouse, minimalism is key here. I only want three buttons: left, right, and middle/scroll wheel. I despise extraneous side-buttons. When I'm forced to use them at friends'/customers' houses, I always end up pressing them by accident multiple times. I also prefer something with better resolution than the average mouse, and over-sized buttons. Found pretty much the perfect mouse in:

Razer Krait

Only thing about Razer... they have lousy drivers and support, in my experience. Had a bunch of issues trying to get it to work at first and they were zero help. But otherwise, awesome mouse.

On a related note: trackball mice should be outlawed. I still come across customers who own the damn things, and good lord they're horrible. I don't know how we ever got along with them. I was actually an early adopter of optical mice, back when they required a special mousepad made of a reflective surface with a grid to work (anyone else remember those?). Even then, I much preferred it to a trackball mouse.

2. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003

cha-ching.

3. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm surprised no one has brought up the ultimate input device yet:

The Optimus Maximus

Ridiculous? Over-the-top? Costs as much as a very nice brand-spankin'-new computer? Yes, yes, and yes.

But awesome, and easy to think of practical uses for it. Customized layouts for games with custom icons? If only I had the money to blow...

4. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Before my pc died on me:

R.I.P

5. erlkaarik

erlkaarik First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2010
    I accidentally mixed up the ps2 ports for my keyboard and mouse and couldn't use them for 2 days :D

6. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Ratty, except old Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    That's nothing, I haven't been able to use my keyboard in years. All my posts on this forum have been written by copy/pasting from Character Map.