Intelligent Deathclaws

I'm with hank on this. Talking Death Claws took me by surprise, and they had the effort put in for them. You could talk to every single one of them, and they might be one of the only really good factions in the game. I was genuinely sad when they were murdered, which is probably more than I could say about... finding out junk town got killed in fallout 1 because I took too long. Its also just very scifi, and it plays in that area of "technology had increased to the point where anything is possible, rivaling on magic". Sorry if its not grim or broody enough, but it had me entertained.

I have yet to play FO2 myself... but how can you love something and think it's incredibly stupid? I'm utterly confused.

Looking forward to meeting these deathclaws!

I enjoyed the talking Deathclaws. They tried to make one’ve the scariest things in the wasteland have a sympathetic side, and imo the talking deathclaws did that well.

Beth tried to do something similar in F4 with “The Devil’s Due” quest, but they did it poorly, and the quest faded into obscurity as all of 4 should.

EDIT: I mean, I actually like 4 when I wanna turn my brain off, but it’s not a Fallout game and I hate it. It’s hard to explain @Black Rose , but sometimes the things we love need a kick in the dick. F4 is my guilty pleasure, and I both sadly enjoy it and despise it for what it is and what it stands for

So i haven't played Fallout 2 yet (or 1 for that matter, yeah i'm a heathen) but i was just reading stuff about it and i found the stuff about intelligent Deathclaws. I honestly really find this fascinating and my question is:

Am i the only one who's kind of bummed that they were apparently wiped out by the Enclave?

Having a faction of intelligent deathclaws where you can either help or destroy in a future game sounds awesome. Of couse i wouldn't want that to be handled by Bethesda because they somehow would make it stupid. And Bethesda is probably never going to alllow another team make a Fallout game, so i guess it will never happen. Just think it would be awesome.

Intelligent deathclaws are a cool idea in concept, but it provides a little bit of an issue for the world

The idea that concept brings, being that deathclaws have thoughts, feelings, and can be “normalized”, has the potential to make anyone playing the game feel bad for killing deathclaws prior when normally saving them isn’t designed to be possible in the first place. It’s the same issue when in zombie movies they imply that the zombies can be cured and what not.

on a minor note, it takes away the fear and danger they impose on the player, which was their main purpose from the get go.

Hopefully that explanation was cohesive enough and didn’t butcher that completely

Intelligent deathclaws are a cool idea in concept, but it provides a little bit of an issue for the world

The idea that concept brings, being that deathclaws have thoughts, feelings, and can be “normalized”, has the potential to make anyone playing the game feel bad for killing deathclaws prior when normally saving them isn’t designed to be possible in the first place. It’s the same issue when in zombie movies they imply that the zombies can be cured and what not.

on a minor note, it takes away the fear and danger they impose on the player, which was their main purpose from the get go.

Hopefully that explanation was cohesive enough and didn’t butcher that completely
I just don’t understand why someone should feel bad for killing a dangerous creature they’re being attacked by just because the dangerous creature in question is sapient (or rather, has the potential to be genetically modified to be sapient). Do we feel bad for killing raiders?

I just don’t understand why someone should feel bad for killing a dangerous creature they’re being attacked by just because the dangerous creature in question is sapient (or rather, has the potential to be genetically modified to be sapient). Do we feel bad for killing raiders?

I guess it varies from player to player, the key word is potential. Sure for some players they wouldn’t mind it, but it’s almost certain there’s going to be others who want to seek a more peaceful route but find that the game doesn’t allow for it and ending up disappointed.

Video game developers make you feel by accusing you of bigotry or whatever. Oh you kill ghouls? Bigot bigot bigot says three dog. Never mind they look like hellspawn and half of them are trying to kill you.

Video game developers make you feel by accusing you of bigotry or whatever. Oh you kill ghouls? Bigot bigot bigot says three dog. Never mind they look like hellspawn and half of them are trying to kill you.
Oh you killed ghouls who murdered Tenpenny tower residents as retribution? Bigot bigot bigot also says Three Dog.

I find it enormously idiotic that in a video game about shooting, stealing, or talking through any person who gets in your way, the developer and playerbase was (are?) concerned about 'deathclaw optics'. As if killing a talking deathclaw is any worse than murdering human beings left and right.

The fact that people actually make the mistake of assigning higher value to animals, dumb or otherwise is an old but fatal lapse in intelligence.

The deathclaws supposedly had human intelligence, so give them human treatment. Why should they be erroneously given higher status because they are not humans?

In Metro 2033 there was a quote, "If it's hostile, you kill it". Implying that each and every case, human or animal, must be weighed differently.

Jeez guys... Call of Duty was actually better than this, and for a time, amongst it's gory and reasonably accurate depiction of war, portrayed dogs as just more legitimate enemy combatants who must be slaughtered. Flip your feelings.

I worry about this forum sometimes...

Dog_WaW.jpg

COD_4_Dog_Attack.gif

Last edited:
I find it enormously idiotic that in a video game about shooting, stealing, or talking through any person who gets in your way, the developer and playerbase was (are?) concerned about 'deathclaw optics'. As if killing a talking deathclaw is any worse than murdering human beings left and right.

The fact that people actually make the mistake of assigning higher value to animals, dumb or otherwise is an old but fatal lapse in intelligence.

The deathclaws supposedly had human intelligence, so give them human treatment. Why should they be erroneously given higher status because they are not humans?

In Metro 2033 there was a quote, "If it's hostile, you kill it". Implying that each and every case, human or animal, must be weighed differently.

Jeez guys... Call of Duty was actually better than this, and for a time, amongst it's gory and reasonably accurate depiction of war, portrayed dogs as just more legitimate enemy combatants who must be slaughtered. Flip your feelings.

I worry about this forum sometimes...

View attachment 28777
View attachment 28780
As I watch that gif I can still hear the whine the dog makes when you snap its neck.

I think that’s part of what makes people feel worse for animals than for humans. Animals have no shame or dignity. They cry like babies when they die. It triggers an empathic response in humans.

As I watch that gif I can still hear the whine the dog makes when you snap its neck.

I think that’s part of what makes people feel worse for animals than for humans. Animals have no shame or dignity. They cry like babies when they die. It triggers an empathic response in humans.
What comes to mind instantly are vivid images of German boys getting slaughtered and hacked to pieces, with Reznov crying for blood. The dying gurgles and screaming in World at War, to this day I find... profoundly haunting.

Or maybe we can remember that Black Cats mission with the American sailors drowning and getting strafed by Zeros in the water.

I find it interesting that the primordial instinct to protect a crying baby or anything that makes crying noises, if allowed, will override everything else. Excellent observation.

I dunno man, maybe I am just a walking anachronism of sorts. But I would gladly personally kill a thousand dogs to save ten human lives. I say "gladly" not "happily".

It is just the logic of things. What scares me more is that people, in all times, really just HATE so much without thinking through. Lack of logic scares me. Without it we really are no better than dogs.

It's because we're westerners. We keep dogs as pets. They're mans best friend. You probably had a dog that loved you unconditionally. You've probably had more negative interactions with humans than dogs.

It's easy to see why people feel more for animals than they do humans when we dehumanize each other all the time

Back