Just Realized Something About FO4 Vertibirds

Sorry if this has already been brought up before, and if it has, can you guys link to the forum post about it? Thanks.

Anyway, the Vertibirds in Fallout 4. They shouldn't exist. At all. First of all, Vertibirds run on gasoline, of which there is none. Zilch. Zip. The last preserve of gasoline was destroyed by The Chosen One after all. It's stated as much by the Enclave that that was the last bit of petroleum.

Now I can KINDA understand there being vertibirds in Fallout 3. Considering they're supposed to be the same Enclave from Fallout 2, just migrated to the East, I would certainly imagine they brought a few barrels of gasoline with them before fleeing the coop.

In New Vegas we only see 2 Vertibirds, one of which owned by the President of the NCR himself. Now I can't really explain this Vertibird's existence because, unlike the Enclave who probably brought oil with them in FO3, the NCR shouldn't really have any access to gasoline. I'll just make the assumption, since it's really the only one we see outside of the Enclave Remnant's, they have just enough gasoline to power it. Perhaps it runs on mostly ethanol gas (corn fumes)?

Meanwhile in Fallout 4, not only did the Brotherhood somehow manage to get ahold of Vertibird building schematics (I'll just assume they got it from that one Vertibird you fly out of at the end of Broken Steel), but they have tons of these things! They're everywhere. All the time I'll hear the sound of vertibirds puttering across the sky only to inevitably be blown up by a stray bullet because those ships have 1 health. Hell, you even get your own vertibird in the game, even though it's literally just slow fast travel, aka completely useless. There aren't any flying enemies to shoot or any sort of danger while you're in it.

So how the fuck do they have this many Vertibirds? They sure as hell don't have the gas for it. I can't say they got it from the Enclave bases because they blew up both of the Enclave bases (Raven Rock and that weird mobile base thing from BS) Is it ever explained in the game? I never went through the BOS storyline because after playing it through with the Railroad and trying to play it through with the Institute, I just gave up. I could understand maybe 1 or 2 Vertibirds but an infinite number of them without any gas?!

1. This is exact
2. This is pretty much exact
3. Don't forget that the NCR scavenged the Navarro base which had vertibird and so, fuel for them. And for the remnant? It's a bunker, they could store many thing in there.
4. The BOS have the schematics of Vertibird since fallout 2 so you can enter to their base and get a powerarmor for your friend.
5. Those are gameplay reason if they blow up fast or not, not story.
6. They build them and convert them into using fusion cells/cores, all likes the nuclears vehicle.
7. An infinite number of vertibird? Have you seen how many pads for vertibird there is on the Prydwen? Not that much. Also for gameplay reason that they respawn, not story.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

WHERE THE FUCK DO THEY GET THE FUSION CELLS???

You know how much they would need? And it's not like fusion cells are any rarer!

Fusion Cells are synths poop.
Hire me Bethesda, I can make shitty lore on the fly as good as any of your writers:rofl:.

The Brotherhood is somehow capable of powering a massive airship; I don't think a couple Vertibirds reverse engineered to use fusion cores or somesuch is out of their reach.

I mean, sure, for gameplay reasons they have a massive fleet of Vertibirds that crash around all the time, but lore-wise I wouldn't be surprised if they only have a dozen of them or so. There's 4 anchors to the Prydwen and one landing pad on the airport below, even assuming space compression I'm pretty sure we're meant to understand they have a limited number of birds.

As for where they get their fusion cores... well that's a better question. But since my character is running around with 60 of them, they're either supposed to be commonplace or Beth just doesn't care about that sort of thing.

Zeppelins are significantly different from helicopters, besides, they've covered the lore on how that was built and, they used methods that can't be replicated to power Vertibirds.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prydwen

It says they took a reactor nuclear from an aircraft carrier (how the reactor would still be operational is another story) but did they take it from rivet city? I don´t remember ever being mentioned that rivet city had a nuclear reactor.

I'd find this excuse more plausible if we'd actually gotten to see the nuclear reactor in FO3: BS as a precursor. You know, we went to the damn airforce base, you'd think we'd see a giant aircraft carrier that apparently has a still functioning nuclear reactor in it. It could've been a simple passing comment. Elder Lyons comes up to you once you wake up, saying "We found so much new technology at that Enclave base! We even found a working nuclear reactor, we could use this to power so many electronic farms (or some other helpful thing for the people of the CW) this is going to make the Brotherhood the true peacekeepers the Capital Wasteland deserves." but then it turns out once Maxson become the Elder he took the nuclear reactor for himself to power the Prydwen because he thinks he's the second coming of Christ and must save the Commonwealth.

Did you know that Maxson... I mean Second Jesus is actually a magician and can summon whatever he wants out of thin air?

Back