Kickstarter Watch: After Reset, STASIS

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
A pair of interesting independent Kickstarters have recently launched.

First of, After Reset, a post-apocalyptic RPG in the style of the original Fallouts:<blockquote>And with these things in mind, After Reset is based on three pillars of the good old days of RPG – you can expect:

• A POST-APOCALYPTIC ATMOSPHERE, developed with scientific realism and with more places to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 together had;

• A NONLINEAR STORY with freedom of choice and a ton of branches and endings, which influence the whole setting even beyond the game you play;

• HARDCORE MECHANICS in the best traditions of DnD and SPECIAL, in which even the process of character creation stretches out into prolonged enjoyment.</blockquote>Less directly of interest to Fallout fans, but worth a look because of its 2D isometric graphics and atmosphere is STASIS, a point-and-click adventure game.<blockquote>Stasis is a 2D isometric, point-and-click adventure game for Windows & OSX, set in the distant future on a desolate spacecraft. John Maracheck must interact and solve puzzles to save his family, while uncovering horrific experimentation, illicit research and an ever deepening mystery.

Recently there has been an exciting resurgence of the point-and-click adventure genre. Standing on the shoulders of greatness, Stasis follows the game-play mechanics of classics like Space Quest, Kings Quest, the Monkey Island series, The Dig and Day of the Tentacle.

The critically acclaimed, Sanitarium - a psychological horror adventure game - used a similar graphical setup to Stasis. Stasis follows this unique visual aspect to bring the terrifying tale to life. </blockquote>

The first game has a pretty weak pitch for already being in development for a year. PASS. Show some dialogue or another area or some combat or ANYTHING.

At first I thought the second kickstarter was for Static. Bummer.

Also $900.000 - I am pretty sure it just won't happen.

many very interesting projects. Sometimes I think even to much. I really would love to see all projects have success. But I guess thats not realistic.

After Reset looks like Afterfall, such bitter memories. And I hate how they are throwing Van Buren around in their kickstarter...

woo1108 said:
pexxx said:
After Reset looks like Afterfall, such bitter memories. And I hate how they are throwing Van Buren around in their kickstarter...
could you explain fo me?
What exactly?

This game looks like Afterfall. I'm "bitter" because of all those amazing promises that have never been delivered by Afterfall developers. And something on After Reset looks like Afterfall for me. That's it.

And when some is mentioning cancelled game..it rubs me the wrong way.

I just backed After Reset, Stasis and Insomnia. After Reset could have used some stuff like dialogs and what not but, i'll give them benefit of the doubt.

Thank you people for your support and decent criticism about After Reset RPG. All you said was fair and as a player I would have the same concerns. Because like you I got a lot of disappointments as well (btw, Afterfall is one of them). So once I just decided "enough of talking... if you want to get something, do it yourself". Thus AR turned into big part of my life.

Due to NMA backers put a decent support of our game on Kickstarter, I feel like to put here my honest explanation about "900k issue" from our discussions on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146421095/after-reset-rpg/comments

WHY $900k? HOW DARE YOU?
Frankly our pr agency said the same.But please don't forget that that is nit about the money, but about the game and about people. Is there enough people who want this game or not. $900k was not taken out of the blue. It is realistic estimation of development of such a game. I cant set $100k or $500k goal spend the money and then just say "ops, we are out of money, sorry"... or release some trash without fulfilling promises of really good game I made. This would be unfair and unworthy. I am the same gamer as you are. Hope you understand...

btw, as I wrote I've already put about $50k of my own into this game, just because I like what I do and because of people who are waiting for this game. And I didn't expect anything in return when I did that.

Thanks for your support (we got really a lot of backers from NMA). Friendly backers could really speed up the process and make release date closer. But even more important for is to see how many people really need my game. How many people want to play it. That is the main force of my inspiration to put the necessary funds of my own into it.

MrNixon said:
Thank you people for your support and decent criticism about After Reset RPG. All you said was fair and as a player I would have the same concerns. Because like you I got a lot of disappointments as well (btw, Afterfall is one of them). So once I just decided "enough of talking... if you want to get something, do it yourself". Thus AR turned into big part of my life.

Due to NMA backers put a decent support of our game on Kickstarter, I feel like to put here my honest explanation about "900k issue" from our discussions on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146421095/after-reset-rpg/comments

WHY $900k? HOW DARE YOU?
Frankly our pr agency said the same.But please don't forget that that is nit about the money, but about the game and about people. Is there enough people who want this game or not. $900k was not taken out of the blue. It is realistic estimation of development of such a game. I cant set $100k or $500k goal spend the money and then just say "ops, we are out of money, sorry"... or release some trash without fulfilling promises of really good game I made. This would be unfair and unworthy. I am the same gamer as you are. Hope you understand...

btw, as I wrote I've already put about $50k of my own into this game, just because I like what I do and because of people who are waiting for this game. And I didn't expect anything in return when I did that.

Thanks for your support (we got really a lot of backers from NMA). Friendly backers could really speed up the process and make release date closer. But even more important for is to see how many people really need my game. How many people want to play it. That is the main force of my inspiration to put the necessary funds of my own into it.

Personally I think the pitch would work better if you were to state some of the goals of the intended design, such as what skills there will be, what possible solutions your team want to be possible for solving quests, how dialogue will work and if skills/stats/perks/traits/talents/quirks/whatevers will affect it and how, if you explained a bit in depth of how the combat is going to be designed and what important elements you hope to implement into it.

Right now all I see, and I don't mean any offense by this, is a bunch of references, vague intentions and a general overview of the story and setting. But I don't see anything to give me a clear perspective as to how the game will actually 'be'. Like, what is SACPIC and what is your aim with it in terms of how it will affect the gameplay and RP aspects of the player character?

It is a bit unfair but some studios have people who's past works we know of and hold dearly, I have no idea who you guys are and what you are capable of and by giving us this... Fluff, ít isn't exactly selling it to me. Since your team isn't all that well known you need to sell it more, not just by providing promises but also by providing us with something concrete to show us what our money would go into.

For me, a big selling point would be explaining what skills you want to implement into the game, how they are intended to work, how you increase said skills, if there are perks or traits or whatever to accompany skills so characters can specialize themselves. That way I could look through the skills and see what aspects of the game you intend to focus on. Another thing is explaining in depth how the stat system will work, I mean, I love SPECIAL as I find it to be a superb stat system albeit somewhat dated so hearing that yours is going to be like that is intriguing but I still want to know what each stat will do. Another thing is quests, will items be used for some quest solutions? Will combat or dialogue be the primary focus of quests? What are the primary archetype classes (kind of like Combat Boy, Stealth Boy and Diplomat Boy for Fallout) for quest design? Will infiltration be a big focus? Will deception? Will diplomacy? Will manipulation?

Or to simplify it: A detailed in depth explanation of your intended RPG mechanics.

If I knew just what design you guys were headed for when we're talking "RPG" I could be much more interested in backing the game and I'm sure a lot of others would be more open to it if they knew just 'what' it is they're backing.

Could always go with the bank analogy, if you walk into a bank and ask for a business loan and give them a bunch of mere words as a pitch it ain't gonna go over well, but if you explain in detail what the money will be used for the bank could see the potential of the investment in your project and feel much more secure in lending you the money.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on this whole thing.

Stasis look interesting and viable. And the stretch goals actually seem reasonable.

After Reset is either a clumsy marketing mistake, or a naive attempt to create a game by people that don't know how to create a game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former.

pexxx said:
I think its realistic to expect that rather a small number of kick starter projects will be really successful in the end. I mean when you think about it, ideas alone don't make projects. And as sad as it is, because there are many very interesting projects, but not everyone has either the expertise to do it or the discipline etc. I know indie developers like to talk about publishers and all that like they are big and evil and how its killing creativity, which is in some way true, but its not like they always do it because they hate creativity. There are simply some procedures which have proven to be useful when it comes to projects and how to manage them.

Back