Knives knives knives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by DexterMorgan, Sep 8, 2009.

1. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    I used my ka-bar to gut game, chop wood, cut barbwire, hammer in tent stakes, open tin cans and stir a fire.

I'd call that an all purpose knife and unlike you I have years of actual hands-on survival training and camping/backpacking/hunting experience.

2. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    Where did Dopemine Cleric say the ka-bar isn't useful for what you just mentioned?

3. I didn't. He just wants to pretend he doesn't know everything. Also I lived in the woods for 2 months when I was younger, and my father was a PJ in Vietnam. Alot of his experience bled over to me when I was being raised.

Besides butchering meat for food and cutting softer materials, and using the a serrated back for wires/Can openers, I would be much more comfortable in the wilderness with one of these.

4. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    Aah, the axe. A magnificent tool. Man's greates invention.

5. That's "Tactical Tomahawk". It's a tool that makes other tools, and kills things from a distance, and is suppose to beat on hard wood all day long without <s>Getting tired and covered in quaff</s> breaking.

For a hunting and utility knife I'd go for a Bushman Bowie

6. the_cpl

the_cpl Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 9, 2009
    Here is mine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYoj4AUn5U[/youtube]

7. Tactical-Tanto-KaBAR?

It's very pretty. I'd like to see some cutting tests.

8. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Mostly Harmless

Oct 22, 2007

This is one of my Striders. I have a smaller one, but don't have any pictures of it uploaded to my website.

Day to day, I carry a Kershaw Mini-Mojo, a Kershaw Blur, or a CRKT M16. For the knife snobs, I also have an Emerson Commander, although it's been a while since I've carried it anywhere.

Ironically, there is a little lock-back razor that I keep in the sheath that sees far more use then my expensive fancy knives. For cutting cardboard, wire, cloth, etc... it's way easier to use and doesn't dull my knife. Plus, when I need a sharper blade, I simply flip or throw away the old one.

9. the_cpl

the_cpl Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 9, 2009
    Nice 1911 8-)

This video is about my new vest, but my knife is there, so I can post the vid in this topic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1HCvB5MWI[/youtube]

:P

10. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    Somebody mentioned Marttiini earlier and I can attest to the quality of their knives/puukkos. Especially Condor Skinner that I have.

What's important to me is the good finger guard, I've never had the 'slip 'n slide' - accident with the Condor. Also the size is ok, total lenght 23 cm, never really needed anything bigger in the woods. I had this with me through military and several outings through to this day, it's served me well. Absolutely zero wear and tear in it.

Oh yea, I used to have a Victorinox but in the end it 'blew up'. Extremely useful while it lasted though.

11. Clever Rat

Clever Rat First time out of the vault

Apr 13, 2010
    I fail at using kitchen knife to slice bread.

12. FrattBorrigan

FrattBorrigan It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 5, 2008
    Laiti knife?

13. WillisPDunlevey

WillisPDunlevey Mildly Dipped

Feb 2, 2010
    I try to always use/carry knives that will do the job and that I will not miss if I have to throw it away (or spend 10-15 minutes melting it down with a cutting torch.

The most useful knife I have (for my purposes) is the German Cat knife. This picture is about actual size.

They are about $20.

If I am going to a place where I know they are going to do more than a pat down (nobody pats your crotch), i have to be a bit more creative so I bring out the Cat Knife.

The Cat knife is incredibly thin and easy to walk on when folded up. nobody has ever wanded the bottom of my feet. Most only stop at the ankle to make sure you dont have an ankle holster etc.

I tend to wear Keen sandals as much as possible (with black socks). The knife is easy to retrieve when i want it after I have passed security

WPD

14. Ah-Teen

Ah-Teen Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jun 21, 2007
    No nonsense survival knifes!

Don't confuse fighting knives for survival knives.

PS, that gerber is an awesome tool. I have that one ^,,^

15. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Because the size of your picture will not vary with display size and resolution of said display... :roll:

16. Member of Khans

Member of Khans Vault Dweller

Aug 26, 2004
  17. WillisPDunlevey

WillisPDunlevey Mildly Dipped

Feb 2, 2010
    I have a few Cold Steel Red River knives that I got on the cheap when they discontinued them. The wood grips were not finished so they were listed as seconds.

The best two that I got (had to buy them in a lot) were the Scalping blades (patterned after Hudson Bay scalping blades from the fur trade days) are really great... though I never got around to finishing them.

18. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Mostly Harmless

Oct 22, 2007
    If we're talking every day carry, this is one that often accompanies me throughout my day.