Most Overrated Games of This Gen?

gregor_y said:
Eyenixon said:
Bioshock sucks, if you can't lose in a game then it isn't a god damn game.

LOL it dont sucks it just got 1 big flaw instant respawn but overall story & spirit and so on is great...any way you could say same thing about old System Shock or just every game with quick save...

No you can't. System Shock 2 had a penalty, and in other games with quick save you have to repeatedly attempt to overcome a situation, you don't consistently respawn and blindly flail at a Big Daddy with a wrench until it dies after 50 respawns.

Fucking amateur developers.

EDIT: And it sucks, everything can be ruined with a wrench, it's too easy, the supposed "customization" is a joke, and the atmosphere wears out before the half-way point. It's a travesty of a game. It's only praised because of its supposed "originality" which is just a half-assed Deus Ex/System Shock 2 combo with none of the depth.

encinodude said:
I enjoyed Halo 2 but haven't played Halo 3 yet, I'm still wondering why. I love the MGS series, but I just can't pretend that MGS4 was anything but a pile of garbage. In my opinion, Kojima took a piss over his own beloved franchise with MGS4.

Personal opinion to a great extent I suppose. All of the die hard fans I have talked to online and off loved 4 and thought it was an epic send off. I could not get enough of the cut scenes and was amazed at how well the story connected together. (Yes it is amazingly confusing but how he made all the games connect and fit was pretty awesome).

I think the one example I can note where this really showed was during Metal Gear Solid (way back in 98) after you fight Raven he makes a comment along the lines of "Blood from the east flows in your veins". In MGS4 during one scene where its giving some back story on snake it cuts to that clip and FINALLY explains what the fuck Raven was talking about.

I was so happy as I had been wondering about that for ages. Anyways I like it and it was totally worth the price of the PS3 alone for me. It is not a game I recomend to people tho.

Eyenixon said:
You do know you can turn that off?

In some ways it actually makes the game slightly harder. Most of the time, when you die in a game, you immediately go back to your last save, and more often than not, the game auto-saved not too long ago. When you do that, you get all your items back.

With BioShock, if you attack a Big Daddy too early and waste all your ammo and stuff, and then it kills you... you come back to life instead of reloading the game. That means you lose all that ammo you wasted.

After you download the patch of course, I'm sorry, but it's implemented into the game and it's expected to be used, it's introduced as a feature. Just because you can "turn something off" after installing a patch doesn't excuse it.

Games are judged by version 1.0, not version 1.1.

Eyenixon said:
After you download the patch of course, I'm sorry, but it's implemented into the game and it's expected to be used, it's introduced as a feature. Just because you can "turn something off" after installing a patch doesn't excuse it.

Games are judged by version 1.0, not version 1.1.

It's frankly not even an issue of patching the game. I played through it twice and never once used the respawn system, because I didn't want to. I wasn't so stubborn that I forced myself to use a feature that I didn't like - I chose not to use it. You may try that sometime, maybe you'll enjoy your games more.

I personally loved the game because of the story and its presentation (voice acting among the best I've heard), the atmosphere, the graphics and audio... It was the full package to me.

That's utter bullshit, if a game forces me to respawn whenever I die then reloading is completely irrelevant. Sure I could reload each time I respawn, but it defeats the point. It shouldn't be there in the first place, it's pure shoddy game design, they expect the Vita-Chambers to be used and they designed it around that fact, so you're pretty much going to come across situations that say "LOL U DIE NOW U GOT VITA-CHAMBER AND COME BACK".

I seriously can't stand people who say "Then just don't use it." it's exactly like "Well the game doesn't suck if you use mods." or "It's a lot better if you just ignore the quest compass."
They're THERE, that's the problem, and people design their games around these things and thus it affects the entire experience. "Just don't use it" god damn what a naive suggestion.

If developers provide me a feature it should enhance the experience, if it's shoved into the game and only hinders my experience then it's utter crap, ESPECIALLY if the only way to bypass it is to ignore it. Why don't I just ignore Fallout 3's bugs and mutilated SPECIAL system then?
You don't ignore problems in games or try to bypass them, you look them in the face and say "God damn the developers are idiots".

This is the reasoning that causes "gaming journalists" to be such poor critics.

Eyenixon said:
That's utter bullshit, if a game forces me to respawn whenever I die then reloading is completely irrelevant. Sure I could reload each time I respawn, but it defeats the point. It shouldn't be there in the first place, it's pure shoddy game design, they expect the Vita-Chambers to be used and they designed it around that fact, so you're pretty much going to come across situations that say "LOL U DIE NOW U GOT VITA-CHAMBER AND COME BACK".

I seriously can't stand people who say "Then just don't use it." it's exactly like "Well the game doesn't suck if you use mods." or "It's a lot better if you just ignore the quest compass."
They're THERE, that's the problem, and people design their games around these things and thus it affects the entire experience. "Just don't use it" god damn what a naive suggestion.

If developers provide me a feature it should enhance the experience, if it's shoved into the game and only hinders my experience then it's utter crap, ESPECIALLY if the only way to bypass it is to ignore it. Why don't I just ignore Fallout 3's bugs and mutilated SPECIAL system then?
You don't ignore problems in games or try to bypass them, you look them in the face and say "God damn the developers are idiots".

This is the reasoning that causes "gaming journalists" to be such poor critics.

I understand your point, but you're still being stubborn. This isn't a game changing bug or anything of the sort; it's something that is completely avoidable should you prefer that it be avoided. The point being, it's shoved into the game but not into your face. If you can't get past that point then I'm not even going to bother arguing it anymore, we're never going to reach an agreement; I would just suggest that you play your games how you want and try to extract maximum enjoyment from them rather than look at every single little thing with the eye of a proper critic.

My position isn't any more naive than yours is crotchety (I've always wanted to use what word :D).

Bal-Sagoth said:
encinodude said:
I enjoyed Halo 2 but haven't played Halo 3 yet, I'm still wondering why. I love the MGS series, but I just can't pretend that MGS4 was anything but a pile of garbage. In my opinion, Kojima took a piss over his own beloved franchise with MGS4.

Personal opinion to a great extent I suppose. All of the die hard fans I have talked to online and off loved 4 and thought it was an epic send off. I could not get enough of the cut scenes and was amazed at how well the story connected together. (Yes it is amazingly confusing but how he made all the games connect and fit was pretty awesome).

I think the one example I can note where this really showed was during Metal Gear Solid (way back in 98) after you fight Raven he makes a comment along the lines of "Blood from the east flows in your veins". In MGS4 during one scene where its giving some back story on snake it cuts to that clip and FINALLY explains what the fuck Raven was talking about.

I was so happy as I had been wondering about that for ages. Anyways I like it and it was totally worth the price of the PS3 alone for me. It is not a game I recomend to people tho.

MGS4 created more problems than it fixed, in that it bled suckage. I don't see a point in arguing about this, though, since we're both fans of the series and obviously aren't going to change our positions. I can only hope MGS5 will be legitly great. We know they aren't going to stop at 4.

encinodude said:
Bal-Sagoth said:
encinodude said:

MGS4 created more problems than it fixed, in that it bled suckage. I don't see a point in arguing about this, though, since we're both fans of the series and obviously aren't going to change our positions. I can only hope MGS5 will be legitly great. We know they aren't going to stop at 4.

I think there will be a MGs5 but I am not sure it will deal with Snake or will only be based off the "world" in the series. It probably will not be a "solid" title and as the others have been.

I trust Hideo Kojima when he said future games would have far less involvement from him. I admire the man a great deal for the games he has brought us (and the fact even tho he could have made a shitload of more money he gave Microsoft the finger and stood by the statement of "Metal Gear Solid is made for Playstation".) But if he tried to continue Snakes legacy with Snake actually being alive for another game he would kill the series.

I actually agree completely with all the mainstream reviews I read for the game which is rare for me, (I dont think there was a single one that was lower than 8/10). I think it tied up all of the major loose ends, tho if you have any in particular you want to point out I like talking about it.

One of the reviews I read however ended with a great note I agree with 100% "We love you snake, please dont come back".

There are a ton of overrated games, but its simply due to a saturated market.

I piss on all current gen games, well most of the them anyways.

The ones in paticular I think hit the "meh" spot.

Grand theft auto 4

Assassin's creed

Halo 3

Gears of war(haven't played 2 yet)

Oblivion(obvious reasons)

Fallout 3(see above)

Halo 3 easily, most over-hyped game of all time at this point.

Gears is really over-hyped, I mean, it's an okay game, but too many people treat it like it's the best thing ever.

GTA IV, I don't know, I liked it alot, I will say it was quite over-hyped, but I say alot of the hype was for good reason.

Call of Duty 4. Not as good as Call of Duty 2, which wasn't too amazing of a game to begin with.

Oblivion... I mean, I can at least take solace in the fact that remove the license and Fallout 3 is pretty good. Oblivion is just garbage though. Did none of these reviewers play Morrowind long enough to realize that it is infinitely better?

Gears of War, I haven't played too much so far but it's clunky and totally undeserving of Cliffy B's stupid loud mouth. Epic has been awful since day dot though. Unreal 1, bleccch.

World of Warcraft. Why do people play this? What on earth are they getting out of it? It's like trying to a killer's head, there are so many bizarre logical leaps to make that it's impossible without years of psychology study.

Gears of War.. he is right... if they would have include more "puzzle" moments, where you really have had to work in a team, the game could be far better.

Also:
Unlike the previous Fallouts where mods were mostly meant to enhance gameplay, Fallout 3’s mods exist to fix problems.

Oh yes.

bhlaab said:
Call of Duty 4. Not as good as Call of Duty 2, which wasn't too amazing of a game to begin with.

Oblivion... I mean, I can at least take solace in the fact that remove the license and Fallout 3 is pretty good. Oblivion is just garbage though. Did none of these reviewers play Morrowind long enough to realize that it is infinitely better?

Gears of War, I haven't played too much so far but it's clunky and totally undeserving of Cliffy B's stupid loud mouth. Epic has been awful since day dot though. Unreal 1, bleccch.

World of Warcraft. Why do people play this? What on earth are they getting out of it? It's like trying to a killer's head, there are so many bizarre logical leaps to make that it's impossible without years of psychology study.

Call of Duty had so many memorable moments that, as a whole, I thought the game was great. "All Ghillied Up" was worth the price of admission for me. The infinitely spawning baddies was just... Well, why implement that when you don't have to? It artificially made the game more of a pain in the ass at parts :? .

I didn't enjoy Gears of War very much either, but then I waited for its release on PC. Upon release and for a few months afterwards, it was (I'm sad to admit) the best-looking video game, and it didn't play too badly. Then, well, Crysis etc. happened, and we all know the rest.

World of Warcraft is surprisingly addicting and has many great moments that you plainly won't experience unless you're hooked early and stick with it. Looking back, though... No, I don't understand it either :p.

You totally need to play Gears of War in Coop. I played it a bit in singleplayer and it was great... boring. Playing it with a friend is much more fun.

Portal is one of the best games ever made. The Halo series are dangerously overrated.

NYHoustonman said:
World of Warcraft is surprisingly addicting and has many great moments that you plainly won't experience unless you're hooked early and stick with it. Looking back, though... No, I don't understand it either :p.

It really is, I had been playing pretty much since release. I had quit and come back about three times up until several months ago I finally just sold my account in an attempt to completely kill the beast :p

Its worked to an extent, the thought of having to start over without all my 70s/gold/phat lewt from MC and BWL I had saved to look like a bad ass when I walked around Shat to show I had no life before the expansion makes me not want to go back....most of the time

Some nights when I am laying in bed and cant sleep it suddenly just hits me... "fuck I wish I was in AV right now". I am trying to fight it :(

gregor_y said:
Eyenixon said:

LOL it dont sucks it just got 1 big flaw instant respawn but overall story & spirit and so on is great...any way you could say same thing about old System Shock or just every game with quick save...

The story is a bad rehash of System Shock 2's plot.

Back