Mr.Black Dude (A new playable critter for Fallout 2)

.Pixote.

Antediluvian as Feck
Modder
This thread will focus on a new player character for Fallout 2 - Mr.Black Dude.

This will be an addition to Mash's excellent "PC Appearance Mod". The new critter will be based on the "Bald Dude Mod", except the critter will have their skin tone darkened to be comparable to the original black Vault critter in Fallout 1. The reason behind a bald black critter is because it will be easier and faster to complete (in the long run), and I think he will look pretty cool. Every frame in the bald mod will be converted (50,000+), to simplify the process I have built an 'action' in Photoshop that will change the skin tone of the critter. This can not be batched, so each and every frame will need to be done one at a time. I have made an AVI that demonstrates what will be involved, see below.

I'm hoping to put a team together, people who are willing to commit to the project and see it through. So sign up if your interested. (This project wont start for a while, because I need to finish some other Fallout work). :mrgreen:

Various skin tones examples - No:2 is the tone we will build.

lo6RUtA.gif

Original Fallout 1 Black critter - and Bald version.

QJeEx.gif
SwiIl.gif
BgOQr.gif
Z58HN.gif
5gtA1.gif
d4kIT.gif

k3RUs.gif
LaAZb.gif
w0fWF.gif
1SVZ1.gif
2O9CH.gif
25kNj.gif

Potential character screen -

Yd4UlwW.gif

Photoshop demonstration -

Last edited:
Re: Mr.Blackie (A new playable critter for Fallout 2)

.Pixote. said:
Current Team

.Pixote. :P

:eyebrow: :Ahem:

.Pixote. said:
Current Team

.Pixote.
Ghouly

:wink:

.Pixote. said:
(This project wont start for a while, because I need to finish some other Fallout work). :mrgreen:

Indeed; I won't be ready to start helping just yet, but I will soon enough.... 8-)

Looking forward to this!

Too bad Mr. Blackie made by brother_soifran and me (anyone else? can't remember) was never finished. If you need any of the stuff that is finished thus far, just let me know.

Since you want to start from Mr. Baldie, which may be even better than we did with the default male character, you may want to avoid making something similar to the BIS black guy in metal armor, because it looks too 'red-ish'.

And I vote for the 2nd variant as well, although none of the presented ones are red-ish, hence rendering all of them suitable for the game (it's just the 2nd one looks best).

Re: Mr.Blackie (A new playable critter for Fallout 2)

.Pixote. said:
Potential character screen -

blackie3b.png

Heh, really? Couldn't be more like the black dude in the fallout 2 intro? It wouldn't look so.. dunno.. funnily racist?

Anyway, good luck with the project. This could be a great addition to the game.

No offense intended...I will make the skin tone closer to the guy in the intro.

iYGPxIe.gif

This looks a lot better.

Bt9QETO.gif

Last edited:
Indeed, that is nice!

If you give me the values you're using for the darkening, I could help out as well. Check out my sexy black boxer:

black1.gif
black2.gif
black3.gif
black4.gif

I do it slightly differently though:
1) Action to select blue
2) Action to select inverse
3) Manually use the Brush tool to darken desired areas
4) Action to Save, Overwrite & Close

I find the using the brush with specific colour settings is a bit faster and easier than the lasso tool.

.Pixote. said:
<Black, black guy>

I actually liked this one... I bet you anything the original Fallout devs would have done it that way... :wiggle: (no racism intended at all, seriously :wink: ) It just has that Fallout 2 look about it

Looks good though I would have preferred if the black guy wouldn't be bald but I like the overall concept of this. Though I can't really help you guys but I'm sure I can some frms if you want.

Jotisz said:
Looks good though I would have preferred if the black guy wouldn't be bald
You mean something like this? It has vault suit and combat armor animations finished, as well as some other armors started/WIP. I should upload everything to wikia once I get back home, it's someplace on my home-PC HDD.

lisac2k said:
You mean something like this?

I would prefer that one over the bald blackie, but I realize that it's less of a pain in the ass to make the bald one. Let's just hope one day we will have both options 8-)

lisac2k pass me your files, I'll have a look and maybe we will just finish what you and brother_soifran started. What method did you use to build this critter. Having two versions of Mr. Blackie would be nice, but that would be a long term project...I think the people would generally prefer a new female PC first.

EDIT: I put together a quick build of Mr.Blackie, a basic color test.

k3RUs.gif
LaAZb.gif
w0fWF.gif
1SVZ1.gif
2O9CH.gif
25kNj.gif

I changed my mind the bald black dude would look awesome too especially with the new screen PastaMasta made. Anyway for one or two frm I can help you guys out just drop me the setting you use for the critter process.

Great ideas! Dunno tho, somehow the title "Mr. Blackie" just rings "racist" to me; maybe it's just me, but I can't think of a non-offensive context where I've ever heard "blackie" applied to a person. Maybe "Black Dude" or "Mr. Cool" or "Mr. Samuel L. Jackson"? heh ...

The blackface image also caught me off guard as a quintessentially racist image (it's just a cultural heratige we have no control over; sorry). The revised vault guy pic is much better! Looks cool and fits the theme. (And I think it's definitely what the devs might have done - definitely not the blackface one though.)

just some thoughts, fwiw. ...

-m

Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for best supporting actor in 2009 for blackface so I don't see why an obscure (for general society) Fallout 2 mod can't get away with it! ;)

In every context I've ever heard the term "blackie", it was for a lulzy effect, as in comedy sketches and whatnot. Pixote I daresay if the farthest thing from racist, as well as I.

In fact, as many people who grew up in the 1960's - 1970's would know, the term "Blacks" was widely used to refer to African people. It has historical background as a common name for the general group of African Americans living in America after the civil rights movements going on in the 50's.

Now, "Mr. Blackie", in this context, is just the 'codename' for this critter project, just like "Mr. Baldie". See the similarities? It's purely naming conventions here.

Now, about the critter project, I would indeed like to see a bald, black hero done, as well as the original critter by the Fallout devs, whom has hair. :mrgreen:

Back