MTV Multiplayer, Pete Hines and DLC

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
In case you haven't heard Pete Hines say "Fallout 3 DLC will be the size of Knights of the Nine", MTV Multiplayer asked him again. Y'know, just to see if he would answer differently this time.<blockquote>Hines and I debated what would be the full “Fallout 3″ experience. Without the option for downloadable content, PS3 owners would be missing out on something. While Hines agreed they’re missing something, he didn’t see it as a negative.

“For us, with a game that offers 100 hours of gameplay, we don’t feel like we’re sort of short changing you up front,” he said. “You’re gonna get your $60 worth out of this game, no matter what platform you buy it for, because there is so much content and so much stuff to do. And you can replay it and have it play out differently. So I think we feel pretty confident in terms of, no matter which platform you choose, you’re getting a good experience that will hopefully be one of the best, if not the best game you play this year on that platform.”

Still … the PS3 version doesn’t have the content. Period.

“Beyond that,” he admitted, “if you really sort of deadlocked and you’ve gotta have your reasons to make a decision between one platform or the other, then yeah, DLC may be one that may push you towards one platform.”</blockquote>

Sucks to be a PS3 fan. Haha to you guys. I will be playing my ecksbawks or PC DLC while you PS3 fans suffer.

Sucks to own a PS3 indeed. I know I'd be crushed if i couldn't get my hands on some that high elven brahmin armor.

In another preview released today, he said that if the demand was there on the PS3, that the DLC would be available. Not that DLC is really ever that much to scream about...

Fallout3 is going to be the system-seller the PS3 has been waiting for.

Bioshock PS3 isn't going to be it, because everyone who wanted to play Bioshock, has played it by now.

After Fallout3, the next PS3 system-seller will be the revised version of Alone In The Dark they're working on.

Okay, let me put this another way... Fallout3 will be the first game which will suspend people's use of their PS3 solely as a Blu-ray player for any significant amount of time.

Then, Alone In The Dark PS3 will be next.

I thought the main system sellers would be exclusives such as Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet. I can't see a multi platform release selling any PS3s, maybe 360s (because they're cheap) and the odd bloke wanting a new PC to run it all pretty like, which happened with Oblivion.

Alphadrop said:
I thought the main system sellers would be exclusives such as Killzone 2 and Little Big Planet. I can't see a multi platform release selling any PS3s, maybe 360s (because they're cheap) and the odd bloke wanting a new PC to run it all pretty like, which happened with Oblivion.

The PS3 is one of the best Blu-ray players available on the market, so the draw to "kill two birds with one stones" is tempting.

When people start to see more "Blockbuster" titles on it, they will be way more likely to buy it because of these two combined uses. Whether those titles are exclusive is less important in this mindset, IMO.

shihonage said:
Fallout3 is going to be the system-seller the PS3 has been waiting for.

Bioshock PS3 isn't going to be it, because everyone who wanted to play Bioshock, has played it by now.

This is possible, but I find it a stretch.

BioShock is a hi-end PC game/Xbox title. It's not like every PS3 gamer also has a hi-end PC or Xbox. This is something hardcore console gamers often miss: the majority of console players are not multi-console players. There is a significant portion of people owning PS3s who have never played BioShock.

On top of that, BioShock actually panders to the PS3, adding content. 2K games has also shown a lot of aptitude and devotion to properly porting it, while Bethesda's ports have a history of being lazy. Besides, Bethesda is doing the opposite of pandering by spitting PS3 owners in the face for Microsoft's $$$, which is bound the piss some of the more hardcore console fans off.

So hell...it's certainly possible. Oblivion did well as a 360 early title. But is it guaranteed? I wouldn't say so.

Texas Renegade said:
In another preview released today, he said that if the demand was there on the PS3, that the DLC would be available. Not that DLC is really ever that much to scream about...

What are you talking about? The Shivering isles were better than the whole base game, aside from the Thieves Guild and Assassin's Guild quests.

The Shivering Isles was an expansion, if memory serves correctly.

DLCs are one thing, but I can't see Bethesda making any future expansion(s) system exclusive.

I have a PS3, and won't be able to run F3 very well on my PC's. The thought of spending $1,200 + right now is something I can't afford. I bought my PS3 used in surplus a year ago for $125, and that was for my MGS4 fetish and the fact that Online content was FREE.

So... this is a big FUCK YOU to my face from Bethesda.

And the next FUCK YOU will be given to PC gamers, when it is inevitably revealed that Bethesda will not be releasing mod tools in order to increase the profitability of their DLC.

Online content for a game like Fallout 3 is a minor thing. It's not like they'll add any free content worth even 5% of the existing game through online additions. The game's story is complete on release. The rest is just horse armor.

Of course if they don't release executable bug fixes for PS3 version, that would suck. But I don't think that's the same as "DLC".

Meh, I really hate the PS3 online service, it may be free, but it's free for a reason, I've tried playing Battlefield: Bad Company on a PS3 and it was so damn laggy, the games got dropped left and right, absolutely noone had a mic, and just numerous other problems.

Anyhow, I don't think the DLC will be anything special really, new area, new guns, new clothes, new mutants, couple of jobs, and that's probly it.

Shivering Isles was a full-blown expansion sold at retail.

In addition to that, I just don't see the possibility of having Fallout3 DLC that is neither

a) very short
b) a linear gimmick

Because if it has to continue from where the game ended, it has to take into account all the possible combinations of the modular ending that Bethesda put in there.

I guess most likely it will just add some crap that happens in "parallel" to encourage you to restart the game again... i.e. a new quest chain/new faction.

Not a big incentive for me to start over the entire game.

The Raging Russian said:
Meh, I really hate the PS3 online service, it may be free, but it's free for a reason, I've tried playing Battlefield: Bad Company on a PS3 and it was so damn laggy, the games got dropped left and right, absolutely noone had a mic, and just numerous other problems.

When a game says 'Broadband Required' it is actually preferred to use CABLE internet, not DSL. I have had no problems playing games online with my PS3 and also with the whole mic issue, I actually have a bluetooth but choose not to use it 95% of the time. I also don't think its an advantage that EVERYONE has one with a 360 considering most of the "gamers" are 12 year old kids who like to tell you how much you suck, how gay you are, or just bitch and moan in general if you nuke their ass/get nuked by them.

Aside of all that, sure its lame they arent providing DLC for the PS3 but I probably wouldn't pay for it anyway. Its a gimmick for a company to make even more money than they should. When I buy a game I expect it to be a full game, not a portion of something that I have to download more things down the road to give me a better idea of what the story is about.

Back