My Problem with the Guns in the new Fallout Games

Dopey Boi

First time out of the vault
Alright, this is not a post s**tting all over fallout 4 and 76. There are enough posts like that already. I actually love 4, not so much 76 though. And I've been modding 4 since I got it. I've downloaded texture mods, quests mods, and mods to add to, and fix the gunplay. I like the gunplay in 4, it's objectively better than 3 and NV. And I've been adding new guns, like AK's, MP5's, Uzis, and M60s. But that's the thing, "I" have. Look at 1, 2, and tactics. They have got heaps of modern guns, and then 4 is just blocky retro 50s sci-fi guns. And they also do look not the best too. I think Bethesda should just add modern guns because Fallout is not a 50s inspired wasteland, and not all guns are blocky and stuff. It's a future, embedded with 50s American pride and vibe, but not the style of it though. The way Bethesda looks at fallout is f**king sideways, upside down, and backward. That's my rant, and to those who read, thank you.

They forget that there was still over a hundred years of technological development between the 50's and when the bombs fell.

Additionally, my own problem with guns in 4, why are they so common, and why is ammo so easy to amass huge amounts of? I think Fallout 1 struck a decent balance of being able to find ammo now and then but not constantly, and ammunition is fairly expensive. I know there's mods and shit for that but for the sake of discussing the game mods should not be counted.

Personally I think there should be "modern" guns in Fallout but they should not be hugely common and they should be weapons that in real life were weird one-offs or prototypes that never made it into production. Fallout is an alt-history, and they had an alt-"present day". They went through 1970-2020 but theirs was very different to ours, and the weapons produced in that time should reflect that.

I think some of the guns from newer fallouts work, Like the laser/plasma rifle redesigns, but more modern looking weapons should be included as almost every normal gun from fallout 4 either looks like it's from the 50s (combat rifle) or just ww2 era (assault rifle) and it doesn't really make any sense, yes transistors were not invented but that probably dosen't mean gun technology has to stop advancing or even regress

I think some of the guns from newer fallouts work, Like the laser/plasma rifle redesigns, but more modern looking weapons should be included as almost every normal gun from fallout 4 either looks like it's from the 50s (combat rifle) or just ww2 era (assault rifle) and it doesn't really make any sense, yes transistors were not invented but that probably dosen't mean gun technology has to stop advancing or even regress
Assault rifle comes straight from the trenches of world war I

FO4's assault rifle is one the worst looking weapons ever in all media and supplanted the previous champion of terrible looking guns that was FO3's Combat Shotgun. seriously these weapons should be studied on how not to design a firearm in a videogame. The Combat rifle is a BAR chambered in 45.(lol wut?) and for some reason here is a tommy gun.

Why do all weapons in Fallout 4 looks like literal garbage? Even stuff Bethesda made up on Fallout 3 and gave a futuristic design now looks like a car battery on top of a super soaker. The worst redesign is the Powerfist, that now looks liek it was put together with junk a kid found in a construction site.

I think the problem with a lot of Bethesda fallout designs is they take too much inspiration from dieselpunk and steampunk, rather than Cold War aesthetics circa 1960s. They seem to think that ICBMs and bullpup guns are outside the realm of fallout tech.

bullpup guns are outside the realm of fallout tech.
that is because bullpups are trash. not to mention they probably don't want to make another reload animation since all the guns use the same one.
The reason you don't see retro-futuristic zeerusty weapons is because Bethesda are hacks who have real hard time grasping that Fallout took place in the future and not the high tech 50's.

that is because bullpups are trash. not to mention they probably don't want to make another reload animation since all the guns use the same one.
The reason you don't see retro-futuristic zeerusty weapons is because Bethesda are hacks who have real hard time grasping that Fallout took place in the future and not the high tech 50's.
AUG's are supposed to be the shit though right? Bullpups look so cool anyways.

I think the problem with a lot of Bethesda fallout designs is they take too much inspiration from dieselpunk and steampunk, rather than Cold War aesthetics circa 1960s. They seem to think that ICBMs and bullpup guns are outside the realm of fallout tech.
Aren't there ICBM's in Fallout? I think that's what the missle was in F3 when you get the unique power armor from the base iirc.

AUG's are supposed to be the shit though right? Bullpups look so cool anyways.
tenor.gif

It's one of the better bullpups but still has the curse of the bullpup trigger. with most countries moving away from Bullpups now it is gonna be one of the last hold outs.

Lonesome Road isn't soooo bad. The envirorment is good and they actually seemed to have come to grips with how to build levels on it because it has a lot more hidden nooks and crannies everywhere.

Story is kinda meh tho. Too much Chris Avellone jerking off into his own face to the detriment of Ulysses actually having a good arc.

Anyway. Bethesda's problems are that they don't even keep a consistent direction between their games for the same setting and they think that the "retro" in retrofuturism just means "everything is old". THen in FO4 they fell too hard on the "scavenging" aspect and made every weapon into an ugly piece of shit, I know very little about the intricacies of ballistic weapons, but if they couldn't even be bothered with desgining a laser pistol with sights back when they still knew Jet was pre war, I can't imagine what they do with weapons when they are trying to ape Borderlands.

ICBMs are featured in New Vegas and mentioned in Fallout 2 (Sierra Military Depot). I can’t think of any mention of ICBMs in Fallout 3 or 4, but the unexploded bomb in Megaton seems to imply that that’s what Bethesda thought the nukes were like in the Fallout universe.

that is because bullpups are trash.
Well regardless of your personal opinion on bullpups, they were featured heavily in the first two games.

ICBMs are featured in New Vegas and mentioned in Fallout 2 (Sierra Military Depot). I can’t think of any mention of ICBMs in Fallout 3 or 4, but the unexploded bomb in Megaton seems to imply that that’s what Bethesda thought the nukes were like in the Fallout universe.
Off the top of my head there's an ICBM in its silo at Fort Constantine, there's an unexploded ICBM outside of the Statesman Hotel, and in the Museum of Technology there's a blurb about how one particular kind of space rocket model was expropriated and turned into ICBMs. I think there might be one or two more instances, but I'm note sure.

Also keep in mind that in real life every nuclear power ideally wants to have bomber-dropped nuclear bombs in addition to ICBMs. Nuclear trident and all.

Back