NCR vs Legion

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Cobra Commander, May 7, 2018.

1. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Dec 6, 2016
    It is the battle of the better warrior against the most better equipped.

99 troopers and a veteran ranger vs 33 recruits, 33 primes, 33 veterans and 1 centurion.

Open field, daylight, 100 meters of distance. Standard gear.

Who wins?

2. limerick

limerick The Wisest Human, The Greatest Thinker

Dec 31, 2017
    i win

3. Apollyon

Apollyon It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 29, 2017
    In an open field? I'd say it's a coin toss.

- Equipment is of roughly the same quality, however the NCR is probably better outfitted for a frontal engagement.

- Legionaries are more experienced and better trained, thus would be more capable of carrying out drills and manoeuvring under fire. Well-trained and experienced troops also are less susceptible to suppression which is the key factor in 'modern' infantry engagements.

- Leadership is definitely on the side of the Legion, considering 2/3s are guaranteed to be battle-hardened veterans and capable of taking over command of the whole unit or the individual squads.

- Morale is also on the side of the Legion. It makes them less likely to become suppressed or flee. Also more likely to force breakthroughs as a result of acts of personal courage, these being a big and often underestimated factor in infantry engagements.

Given it's an open field, without cover, it'd still be a coin toss. If we were to go with a scenario that has some terrain features and room for manoeuvre and tactics, the Legion would win hands down. They simply have the better troops pound-for-pound.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Dec 6, 2016
    thanks. I even agree.

What prevents the Legion from simply not blitzing the NCR?
    I ask that question because I thought the Legion's strength was in numbers. But now I think it's the soldier's quality, where NCR has the biggest number, actually. After all, Legion exists for 30 years, the NCR for 100 and I think with more territory as well and soldiers of both sexes.