Fallout 2 mod New Fallout2MechanicsMiniRework version

Great stuff, can't wait to play again with this.

You asked for suggestions so I came up with a few.

More of a quality of life thing then a tweak but Stealth Boys should automatically make you enter sneak mode when activated.

In all the Fallouts after this one successful attacks while sneaking are always crits. This would make sneaking more useful and give some actual purpose to things like the sniper rifle.

Lastly I'm so sick of my boots melting on the first floor of the Toxic caves. It would be nice if they didn't.

Lastly I'm so sick of my boots melting on the first floor of the Toxic caves. It would be nice if they didn't.

this file removes it and affects all party members,they can still take damage(party members are cycled throuogh rather then specificaly mention in code) but boots wont melt

Attachments

More of a quality of life thing then a tweak but Stealth Boys should automatically make you enter sneak mode when activated.
Made a script for stealthboy.
- When using a charged stealthboy, if the player was not in sneak mode, then sneak is automatically turned on.
- When entering/exiting combat mode while stealthboy is active and the player is not in sneak mode, sneak is automatically enabled. (I'll make it optional later.)

In all the Fallouts after this one successful attacks while sneaking are always crits. This would make sneaking more useful and give some actual purpose to things like the sniper rifle.
A script for Sneak Attack Critical.
- During the first turn in combat (the player must attack first), the first hit to the enemy from sneak mode, provided that the target cannot see the player, becomes a critical hit.
Turning all attacks into a critical hit when the target can't see the player would be too unbalanced. Perhaps if I make a crit calculation depending on the % stealth skill or add a separate perk, it will be better.

Later I will add this scripts to the main mod with some edits.

Attachments

Fallout2MechanicsMiniRework mod is updated to v1.6
Changelog 11.23.22

- Added new module that automatically turns on sneak mode when using Stealthboy.
- Added new module that prevent status effects from a critical hit with 0 damage.
Poison&Regeneration:

- Poison damage now scales with ingame combat difficulty settings.
- Added a setting to increase poison damage to enemy NPCs.
- Changed the balance of healing with stimpaks. Penalties last 1 minute, instead of 1 hour. Super Stim Penalty lasts 2 hours instead of 24.
Aimed misses:
- Weapons now drop out of hand after damage animation instead of before.
- Dropped weapons no longer fall behind walls and objects.
- NPCs' Aimed Shot Chance now scale with the combat difficulty setting in the game.
Sneak Detection:
- Speeded up the refresh rate and added the ability to set the refresh rate when highlighting NPCs during stealth detection.
Explosion injury:
- Сhance of injury now depends on the ingame combat difficulty settings.
- Added an injury rate setting separately for the player and companions.

Fallout2MechanicsMiniRework mod is updated to v1.7

New module that adds an alternative fire mode to Laser, Plasma and Gauss weapons.
Secondary Attack

- Alternate fire mode is activated with an Aimed Shot to the torso.
- All animations depend on combat speed settings (and I advise you to set the maximum combat speed for better results)
Laser weapons:
LASER_SLOW.gif

- Laser weapons deal weapon damage(+perks and critical effects) to all creatures in a line between the shooter and the target.
- The alternate firing mode consumes (2 + 1 * number of additional targets) microfusion cells/small energy cells.
- The maximum number of additional targets can be configured in the .ini file.
- Alternate mode increases armor penetration.( All targets' laser defenses are multiplied by 0.5 )
- Hit chance and critical hit chance are calculated separately for each target.
Gauss weapons:
GAUSS.gif
- Gauss weapons deal weapon damage (+ perks and critical effects) to all creatures in the line of fire.
- The maximum number of additional targets depends on the attacker's damage, the amount of damage reduction for each target (configurable in the .ini file) and armor defenses of the targets on the line.
- Hit chance and critical hit chance are calculated separately for each target.

PLASMA weapons:
PLASMA.gif
- Plasma weapons deal weapon damage (+perks and critical effects) to all creatures in a radius around the main target.
- The radius of the plasma explosion is configured in the .ini file.
- Damage depends on the distance to the main target. The greater the distance, the lower the damage (can be configured in the .ini file).
- The alternate firing mode consumes 3 microfusion cells/small energy cells.
- Critical hit chance are calculated separately for each target.

Nice ideas. Personally I'd have this be their main attacks and not locked behind some alternative attack, though. :p At least makes the weapons noticeable different from each other then.

Hello, I'm really interested in your good work and would like to ask if the mod can be compatible with EcCo(0.6.2 or 0.6.3b) or FO2tweaks mod.

If it can, then there will be season of throwing in the wasteland!

Hi, I tried to make the mod as compatible as possible, and in my tests with ECCO and FO2tweaks, I did not find any problems.
But if such come across, then write here, and I will fix it)

Much appreciated <3

I'll gladly gonna try it out and check any bugs as much as I can. Time to catchball, hell yeah!

All right, so I'm trying your mod with both EcCo and FO2tweaks, under sfall v4.3.7 last night.

And as I thought, seems like too much greed makes game really unstable- crashes a lot. During saving, random moments, killing geckos... So I'm adjusting configs to make it compatible as much I can, but still no luck here.

But I know it's not your fault, so don't worry! Attaching debug.log here so hope you'll find it somehow useful.

For summing it up, only needs two sentences:
"Error during execution: pushShortStack: Stack overflow."
"No current script"

Attachments

It may well be my fault)
Tell the version of the game and share the save that was made before the crash (any crash). Well, or just any save

Don't know what version do you need to know, so I'll tell you whole thing: "Original Fallout 2 1.02 + RPU v26 + EcCo 0.6.2 + FO2tweaks v12.10 + Lastest veresion of your mod, v1.7-1.73."

Also attaching my ini config files and save file you wanted, but I don't think the save file won't help solving problem since crashing is happening like RAM leakage; Playing fine without any problem then functions of FO2Tweaks suddenly stop at some point just like a script is freezing, then trying load or save game causes crash with message like the picture.

2023-01-10 220144.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Tested on the same game version(Original Fallout 2 1.02 + RPU v26 + EcCo 0.6.2 + FO2tweaks v12.10 + Lastest veresion of your mod, v1.7-1.73."). after ~40 minutes of battles in random locations and the genocide of the population of cities without save loads, problems began, such as yours.
I tried to completely remove my mod, and also test the game, it happened the same but after 1.5 hours.
Perhaps too many mods themselves are not very friendly)

I attached the version in which I cleaned up the code, and slightly changed the number of checks.
Replace F2MechanicsMiniRework.dat in mods folder with the attached one.
And tell me how it is

Attachments

Thank you for fast fix! I'm trying the fixed version and it looks like the game become much stable than last time.

Keep played 2~3 hours and no crash or freezing happened! I'm continuing playtest, so will reply more if something happens again.

Anyway, once again, really appreciated for your work :salute:

Don't know what version do you need to know, so I'll tell you whole thing: "Original Fallout 2 1.02 + RPU v26 + EcCo 0.6.2 + FO2tweaks v12.10 + Lastest veresion of your mod, v1.7-1.73."

Also attaching my ini config files and save file you wanted, but I don't think the save file won't help solving problem since crashing is happening like RAM leakage; Playing fine without any problem then functions of FO2Tweaks suddenly stop at some point just like a script is freezing, then trying load or save game causes crash with message like the picture.

View attachment 26593

Unfortunately, I've run into something similar with the same general error, but different mod loadout and different trigger: https://github.com/BGforgeNet/FO2tweaks/issues/87#issuecomment-1035318837

Pure speculation: there is an issue with modern sfall and allow unsafe scripting enabled. The hooks/memory manipulations required by sfall to operate eventually cause functions to operate on mis-indexed or mis-aligned areas of memory which results in this error.

I don't know if sfall includes any data in the saved game, but my experience is that the cumulative set of actions in a saved game establishes a unique memory environment. That memory environment will have defects. Those defects do not impact a game until a sfall or engine function needs to operate on them, fails, and this generic memory error popup occurs.

For my environment, it was the allow grenades to be thrown at empty squares ability in the early mid-game, but later near the end of the game other triggers for the memory error started to appear. This is consistent with the idea that a saved game encapsulates a memory environment that contains defects, as the longer you play the more data is saved and thus the possibility of defective memory areas increases as the overall memory footprint increases.

TL;DR unless there's people in the sfall dev community talking about this, I think it's going to be a part of the life of someone who wants to extensively mod F2 with sfall mods.

edit: this isn't a knock against sfall or anything else, more a technical observation. I tried to take it to github but I ran out of steam and didn't see much interest in maintainers in chasing this down.

Tested on the same game version(Original Fallout 2 1.02 + RPU v26 + EcCo 0.6.2 + FO2tweaks v12.10 + Lastest veresion of your mod, v1.7-1.73."). after ~40 minutes of battles in random locations and the genocide of the population of cities without save loads, problems began, such as yours.
I tried to completely remove my mod, and also test the game, it happened the same but after 1.5 hours.
Perhaps too many mods themselves are not very friendly)

I attached the version in which I cleaned up the code, and slightly changed the number of checks.
Replace F2MechanicsMiniRework.dat in mods folder with the attached one.
And tell me how it is
Here's a question I've been getting about the original game mechanics, and it seems you might know the answer because you made a mod specifically modifying those mechanics:

What were the vanilla game effects for thrust vs swing for melee weapons?
Your earlier description makes it seem like there wasn't a difference, but I was hoping you could give an explicit answer.

What were the vanilla game effects for thrust vs swing for melee weapons?
Your earlier description makes it seem like there wasn't a difference, but I was hoping you could give an explicit answer.
They have no difference other than animations in vanilla.

Back