Fallout 2 mod New Fallout2MechanicsMiniRework version

Fallout2MechanicsMiniRework mod is updated to v1.9
A new mod has been added that allows you to apply skill books to party members, as well as change the amount of bonus skill points when reading books.

Skill Books

This mod allows you to use skill books on companions to increase their skills, and also allows you to change the amount of bonus skill points and the number of skills that increase when reading books.
(Compatible with F2, F2 EcCo, F1.5: Resurrection, Nevada, Sonora: Bookseller Ashley mod, Et_Tu)

- Skill books can now be applied to sentient companions to improve their skills. The bonus from reading books is retained as the companion levels up.
- The original amount of skill gain (and its maximum value) from reading books can either be increased or changed to a fixed value.
- Books can now increase up to 2 skills at the same time if you add a new skill to the "books.ini" file. All base books, and any books registered in "books.ini", will work with the mod.
- The "Comprehension" perk now increases not only the number of points received when reading, but also the skill increase limit.
- The mod also works with unique books (Fallout 2 Hintbook, Cat's Paw issue no.5, Nevada: "Homo Ludens", Neurosurgery Manual)
Additional settings that can be enabled:
- Books can be read aloud, then the skill will increase for the player and the companion to whom the player reads the book, or for the whole group at once, depending on the option chosen.
- The presence of the "Comprehension" perk for the player also works for companions.
- You can allow non sentient companions like dogs and brahmins to read books and receive a bonus from them.
An example of how to modify the "GUN AND BULLETS" skill book to increase the "Small guns" and "Big guns" skills. </summary>
if the "books.ini" file is not present in your "..\Fallout 2 (or other game)\sfall\" folder, then you can take it from (https://github.com/sfall-team/sfall...c76827818cef/artifacts/config_files/books.ini)
place "books.ini" along the path "..\Fallout 2 (or other game)\sfall\books.ini"
Now look at the example below. For changing original books "overrideVanilla=" in "books.ini" can be anything if my mod is installed.
"count" in "books.ini" should be equal to the number of changed and/or added books
in square brackets indicate [1] the sequence number of the new/modified book starting from the number "1", the order of changing/adding the book does not matter.
Beginning of the example
[1]
; book item PID ("GUNS AND BULLETS" PID = 102, Big Book of Science = 73, First Aid Book = 80, Scout Handbook = 86, Dean's Electronics = 76, Chemistry journals (F2 and 1.5 only) = 237), for other books will have to google
PID=102
; textID from proto.msg which displayed when reading book("GUNS AND BULLETS" TextID = 805, Big Book of Science = 802, First Aid Book = 804, Scout Handbook=806, Dean's Electronics=803, Chemistry journals (F2 and 1.5 only)=802)
TextID=805
; corresponding skill (skill number in order from top to bottom starting with Small guns = 0, Big guns = 1, Energy weapons = 2, ending with "outdoorsman" skill = 17)
; Skill=0 will increase "Small guns" by the amount set in "FixedSkillInc"
Skill=0
; Skill2 Added only by this mod, and only works with it.
; Skill2=1 will increase "Big guns" by the amount set in "FixedSkill2Inc"
Skill2=1
End of the example

Last edited:
@DeKRuS

Hey, big thanks for this mod. I've got a question however. I took the mod for a spin on my current Last Hope playthrough, but the mod only works for vanilla books, with vanilla skills. Just as if Books.ini was not taken into account.

So the question is.. do i have to configure ddraw.ini to place Books.ini somewhere else than root game dir, or do i have to start a new game for the Books.ini to take effect?

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't even notice that I just wrote my "books.ini" file location instead of having the script check where it actually is.

Now the mod will "see" the "books.ini" file at the location specified in "ddraw.ini".
Here is the corrected version, replace only the ".dat" file.

Attachments

Will have to try this mod in near future!!
Any progress on the ultra fast combat mode?

At the moment, this is more of an interesting bug with the ability to experience pseudo-real time combat than a real mod.
In this mode, registration of animations is broken and therefore the maximum that can be implemented is the simultaneous movement of NPCs, provided that they do not perform any other actions than moving. But it's just not worth it)
For now it's better to use Cheat Engine with configured hotkeys for speedhack during large-scale battles! : )

ahh thats a pity, It looked quite intresting!
Ramping up the animation speed still works well enough for me.
tnx for the update

Hey, I can't seem to make the party books mod work in Sonora 1.11 (Foxx's release ofc + DLC)
Hi. Do you play sonora in Russian? If not, where did you get this version?
First check if "F2MechanicsMiniRework.dat" exists in "mods_order.txt", then check if "Sonora=1" is set in "F2MechanicsMiniRework.ini".

How exactly does it not work? Can't books be used? they don't give bonuses to the player? They don't give bonuses to teammates? Do they give bonuses to the wrong skills?

If you can send me your savegame file and mods_order.txt, F2MechanicsMiniRework.ini, ddraw.ini, it will help me figure it out)

The version I'm playing is Foxx's release from rutracker.org. It's part English part Russian, since I still am a part of the translation team, I copied available translated files and put them into text folder, Not everything is translated, so it still requires to understand Russian in order to play. What's so suprising about a non-Russian understanding Russian?
Back when I was born it was about the only foreign language teachers taught at schools... and since I'm a relict of the past I was taught Russian in school too.

Anyways back to the topic..
what's mods-order.txt and where do i get one, where to put it and how to configure it?
I can't find this file in my install.

what was wrong is that the game behaved as if no changes from F2MechanicsMiniRework was applied. as for the books they were only read by the pc the text indicator did state that I read it, not that I read the book aloud (like i've set in the .ini), and yes i did set Sonora=1 in the version choice, but regardless of the bbook setting, nothing did change not even steal mechanics. which is weird, because your mod worked fine for Last Hope mod under classic Fo2 setting.

Savegame won't matter, since It did not work under an earlier Foxx's release, it did not have the dlc with it, and i messed up the instalation of dlc. Now I've started a playthrough of the 02.09 release, and I'm unable to check if it works yet, no companion yet, and steal skill isn't high enaugh yet for a hand slot theft.

What's so suprising about a non-Russian understanding Russian?
Back when I was born it was about the only foreign language teachers taught at schools... and since I'm a relict of the past I was taught Russian in school too.
My surprise is not that you understand Russian (although this is also surprising! Understanding at least 3 languages is a lot!), but that Foxx has a multilingual version of Sonora!
If you have a Foxx release, does that mean you also have sfall v5.0.4+ installed in the game?

what's mods-order.txt and where do i get one, where to put it and how to configure it?
I can't find this file in my install.
Sfall 4.4 (or 5.0.5) Changelog:
Implemented a mods_order.txt to improve and simplify mod ordering and add support for mod managers. This replaces previous .dat file autoloading.
Starting from 4.4/3.8.40, the game will load custom .dat files and folders from <GameRoot>\mods\mods_order.txt

Simply put, if you don’t write the “any_mod.dat” file in mods_order.txt, it won’t work. mods_order.txt should be located in <GameRoot>\mods\ /
But if you don’t have this file, then you probably have a fall version that doesn’t yet require this file.

what was wrong is that the game behaved as if no changes from F2MechanicsMiniRework was applied. as for the books they were only read by the pc the text indicator did state that I read it, not that I read the book aloud (like i've set in the .ini), and yes i did set Sonora=1 in the version choice, but regardless of the bbook setting, nothing did change not even steal mechanics. which is weird, because your mod worked fine for Last Hope mod under classic Fo2 setting.
My mod works only if it is in <GameRoot>\mods\ If it’s there, then it’s very strange why my mod works this way!

P.S
I just checked it on Foxx's Sonora 1.11 + DLC (sept. 11 update) and everything works as it should.
But I could not find where to get the ENG version of F:Sonora, I want to see how everything works on it. Pls share the link)

1. No, Foxx's Sonora release is not multilingual as of yet.. I told you already, that due to the fact I belong to Sonora translation team, I have exclusive access to some of the translated files ( but not all of them). So when i copy over theese files to my game, the game becomes partially translated, however lots of stuff still remains in Russian. the translated files are currently under NDA ( non disclosure agreement) which means I can't share them with anyone until the translation officially comes out.

2. Yes 02.09 Foxx's release comes with sfall5 5.0.4.0 so regarding what You've wrote it's not compatible with mods_order.txt .

3. Looks like I'll have to update my game to 11.09 version, since You say Your mod works with it. As I've said before. Foxx's release *is not* multilingual as of yet. The English translation hasn't been officially released. I only posess some of the translated files, due to having access to them as one of the translators, and I am not allowed to share them freely among others, because i agreed to an development agreement, that I will not do so. So I am sorry, but I cannot share those files, at least until the translation is officially released for public use ( at least for beta testing). If You're anxious to get your hands on the translated files for the sake of compatibility with your mods, join the translation discord, apply for access, and if/when requested agree to NDA, and perhaps the staff will give you the access to our archive, no guarantees but it's at least worth a try..

Last edited:
Ok, I see, then my advice is to install the Russian version of Sonora from Fox, install my mod, check on old saves or a new character whether the mod works, and if so, replace the files for partial translation.

Ok I finally got it to work at least partially.. the main thing i did wrong was that I put Your .ini file into mods/IniConfigs, because i thought it was a natural thing to do ( because i thought "hey all .ini files go to mods/IniConfigs.. right..?") that facepalm i did after going to Your mod's github page and reading that the .ini for Your mod actually goes to "mods" folder instead of "mods/IniConfigs"... was quite a sight to see..

Anyways at least the sneak highlight mechanics works on my old savegame. Despite tweaking the handlsot theft to require at max 51% steal, and having 146% steal ( 46% native and Skills.ini was set to give 100% bonus to a tagged skill instead of the usual 20% ( ofc tagged steal) did not give the expected effect, and still no weapon to pickpocket.
I still don't know if books work like they should, since It'll take time before I reach Ashley and get my first companion.

It's a startpoint anyways, and I think it's worth to start playtesting this.

Despite tweaking the handlsot theft to require at max 51% steal, and having 146% steal ( 46% native and Skills.ini was set to give 100% bonus to a tagged skill instead of the usual 20% ( ofc tagged steal) did not give the expected effect, and still no weapon to pickpocket.
Regardless of how many +skill% bonuses the tagged skill receives, only the final value of the skill is taken for calculation.

I created a character to test stealing.
Tag gives 100 to skill. initial steal value -4% (agility = 2 + Gifted + normal game difficulty) + tag, total 96% Steal skill.
Skill threshold for stealing weapons is set to 51%.
I managed to steal weapons from all NPCs who have perception 8 or less. Yeah, I was caught several times, but still the opportunity itself was important, not the result)

Check again what value is written in "MinWpnStealReq", try setting it to 0 or a negative value, then with any skill you can try to steal the weapon from their hands.

nah stealing from item slots is not possible, i've started with a char that has 300% in all skills, and reached Garage city. gate guard did not reveal his shotgun, although the sneak highlight mod seemes to work.. i wonder if the party book reading will work now. handslot theft seemes too op anyways, however, teachig those party losers some weapon skills is a must when running with them. So I'll try to reach Phoniex this time, and aquire some books.

it didn't work regardless if i had it set to 0 or 1 or the default number, that was in there before i messed with the option at all.

Ok.

So it looks like i had to implement an earlier revision of Your stealmod revamp as a separate mod in order for the handslot item theft, but it works now. I'm yet to check if party skillbook reading works, as I need to recruit a party NPC.

Last edited:
Back