New pictures for inventory items

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Cerebro, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Cerebro

Cerebro First time out of the vault

May 6, 2007
    Well, this should be embarrassingly easy for you modders out here, but I'm a complete noob and struggle with editing a few inventory proto files.

I'd like to change some inventory pictures with new FRM files, so I loaded up F2wedit and added the new FRM from "Tools > Add new inven *.frm". Then I changed the item I wanted via the corresponding inven. frame dropdown, saved, went into the game and... nothing. There is no inventory picture - its invisible.

Whats the problem here?

I'm playing FO2 with Restoration project 2.3.3 and the RPU update v0.8 from burn, but as I cannot get F2wedit to "see" new protos from Restoration Project with the RPU update (because they are in a .dat file I'd like to leave unchanged), I installed a FO2 Restoration Project without the RPU update, changed the proto I wanted in the already unpacked folder there and copied it over into the mod folder. The folder structure is fine, because when I use the file names of FRMs that are already in the game, they display fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. Cerebro

Cerebro First time out of the vault

May 6, 2007
    So, after several hours of running in circles I figured it out and it was the stupidest problem ever: The filename I used for the new FRM was 1 character too long. As it turns out, 8 characters are ok, but 9+ are a no go and turn the item invisible.