NMA Fallout 3 preview and Q&A

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    <center></center>
    It's about time; under the nomer of supportive media companies (Gamernode (with some extra help from AtomicGamer) and MadShrimps), No Mutant Allowed's Brother None and SuAside went to the Game Conference in Leipzig, Germany to view the demo of Fallout 3, shown by Bethesda's Pete Hines there. Silencer, applying last in the name of NMA, was not permitted entry with no reason given.

The result?

A long 2-page step-by-step walkthrough of the entire demo, a conclusion page in which our intrepid reporters discuss what to like or dislike about various elements, final conclusions and as a bonus a 12-question Q&A with Pete Hines. Read it all on the following links:

Link: Fallout 3 preview.
    Link: Fallout 3 QA.

2. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Note the following:

Yeah baby!

Also note the following:

Special thanks to Gamernode, Atomic Gamer and MadShrimps for the support. Even more special thanks for all the NMA users that have ever donated to NMA, as those funds came well in handy for me and SuAside, both poor students, to be able to afford the trip. Special special thanks to Odin and welsh for their generosity. And with the subtle hint: we're still quite a bit in the red on this, so if you feel generous, please consider thanking us by donating to NMA. Much appreciated.

Also also: I sold my soul for a T-Shirt :cry:

Also also also: Pete Hines is a pretty nice guy, IRL

3. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    digg isn't working.

oh and hey!

4. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Digg is working now

Hey whut?

5. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    I want an interview with both of you guys, you can't say no!

Where are the pics of pretty german girls?

6. pndragon26

pndragon26 First time out of the vault

Jul 26, 2007
    Congrats guys! Good to see we finally have a preview that will not kiss ass. Look forward to reading it when I get home from work.
    Oh- bio has a point, pretty pics of german women might help!

7. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    The GC booth babes were degradingly slutty. I found it fairly repulsive, personally, but I'm sure it works on the teen hormones.

If you give me a T-Shirt, I'll do an interview. I'll do anything for a T-Shirt :mrgreen:

8. pndragon26

pndragon26 First time out of the vault

Jul 26, 2007
    You make "slutty" sound like its a bad thing....

9. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
  10. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    Great job, guys!

11. bonanza

bonanza It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 1, 2006
    So Silencer was the only one of you who applied under the banner of NMA. You two were permitted, and he wasn't.

Figures. Great job Bethesda, thats the way to deal with one of the oldest FO Fan communities on the net.

12. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    Finally chalk one up for the NMA squad.

13. Zeal

Zeal Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 20, 2003
    Hehe sneaky sneaky :)

Good job guys

I just wonder what would have happened if in the middle they found out? Dip in he vats?

"Bethesda preferred 1st person as it immerses the player more into the world, but recognised that a lot of people, "especially Europeans," played Oblivion in 3rd person mode"

I bet its those damm frenchies

14. Jiggly McNerdington

Jiggly McNerdington Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 14, 2007
    Nice preview (And nice shirt). Pretty much agree with how you summed up your thoughts at the end, quite a few bits sounded pretty good and promising, but there were a lot of annoying little bits scattered around too. Hopefully the actual game ends up better than the demo in the year of development left, but it sounds like even if it doesn't it'll be a decent enough FPS-RPG assuming they can come up with good explanations for the BoS and super mutants.

Probably not as good as Fallout deserves, but decent. Sorta like Fallout Tactics I guess.

15. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    Why the fuck I'm not surprised?

That's priceless :D

How the hell did people managed to get a functioning a talking robot in Megaton?

Yeah, good to know they're learning on their own mistakes... *sigh*

Hah, same country, different cars, right?
    So, it's in. Enclave is back and kicking.

Btw, what the hell's with radio-pipboy? Was vault 101 much more technologically advanced than other vaults?
    But it's immersion-breaking!

No dumbing down, right?

The same as above. Why not just let the bomb explode and kill the PC?
    Oh right, player's ego would suffer- "I DIED- WTF??! TOO HARD!"

Hmm, I have it. Vault Dweller didn't kill the Master- he joined him and decided to take over the world. It's the only explanations for 'super mutants bad guys'.

Yes Todd, violence can be f**cking funny, we know.
    Oh, looking at FO's 1 and 2 supersledge I wouldn't know.

Where's good ol' Poisoned status?

Ok, we need clarification- we know PoS and Tactics aren't canon. So let me ask then- is Fo1 and 2 canon? Because it certainly doesn't seem so.

Choices and consequences right?

Improved radiant AI.

Anyway- good (well, the best and most detailed) preview- no good news unfortunately but can't blame you guys for it.
    But BN, sold your soul for a shirt? Tsk, Tsk.
    Edit: God dammit, spelling mistakes :<.

16. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    The Dutch will do anything for free stuff

17. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Great, but you could've told me and Blinzer before he sent the community questions to Gstaff, we'd have less redundant ones...

18. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    the excuse was that there was no spots left for Silencer (the room could only take about 20 people). which is possible in theory, since he applied slightly later than I and BN did. but i seem to recall 2 guys walking up to the LunchPR chicks (that handle european PR for Bethesda, at least for this event) and getting a slot in a later showing.

anyway, there are plenty of excuses that could be given by Beth (even valid ones), so it's kinda useless to dig this out further. however, if one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fancommunity asks for a spot one might suspect a decent PR man to go out of his way to make it happen.

i told Pete to his face that i visited NMA during the Q&A session. he didnt even flinch (as is to be expected from a good PR man ;) ).

as for being sneaky, i'm also writing a (mainstream) preview for Madshrimps, so i didnt lie to get in. but since i'm an NMA oldtimer why wouldnt i help good ol' Kharn writing a lil' preview for NMA too.

Pete is a rather nice guy btw. i know some people will have a hard time believing that ofc, but he aint a bad sort.

19. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    I was working on the community questions too, remember? I did try to avoid placing redundant questions in my list, but YOU DIDN'T TAKE THE HINT.

Just kidding. Actually, I advised Blinzler to make a deal with Grandstaff to be able to replace questions if they're redundant due to Leipzig, after I failed to get it pushed back because of the GC. We'll see. Couldn't exactly do more, it would've un-ninjad me.

20. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    Or from a guy that doesn't care about FO fans ~~

Well, I don't know if he's a nice guy or not, but I know that some of the stuff he says isn't exactly true.
    Remember Oblivion? ;p