Paradox announces a new batch of games

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Danilh, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Danilh

Danilh It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 21, 2008
    Grand Strategy gamers rejoice all over the world with the new geopolitical simulation goodness we are being promised to get

Now, the new games
    Those are:

Victoria 2 :D :clap: :crazy: :mrgreen:
    For The Glory
    EU3:Heir to the Throne(expansion)

Of all these I'm mostly interested in Victoria 2(as you may be able to tell) and i know it probably will be bugged beyond imagination in version 1.0, but what the hell, it's VICKY 2!!! :D

2. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    MANY people will be pleased with the announcement of Vicky 2. Including me. :D

Now we just need Crusader Kings 2.

3. Sicblades

Sicblades Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite Board Cop oTO

Aug 28, 2008
    Or Civ 5

4. Flop

Flop Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 10, 2004
    I don't know, really. I've been wanting a Vicky 2, since the first one is probably my favourite Paradox game, but at the same time I'm not sure I'm going to like what Paradox ends up producing.

Ageod will be releasing Vainglory of Nations in the not too distant future, so I guess I'll just be looking forward to that, for now.

5. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    Cool, so, they are selling unfinished games? Does it mean that one can pay an unfinished price for it :D ?

6. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    A new expansion for EU3!!! I'm stoked.

I love PI.

7. Danilh

Dec 21, 2008
    *unpolished, not unfinished, as most of the bugs have to do with events and such

And Paradox has a nice policy of patching constantly,hearing the community's suggestions(the EU3 exp and Vicky2 were chosen to be developed by polls in the forum, and FTG is a mod project that got the engine licensed to them for free) as well as making hotfixes made by modders official

EDIT:

Just saying, if you want to suggest a feature for Victoria 2 go to http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=443
    Unfortunately you can't suggest features to FTG because it's a licensed project and to the EU3 exp because the guys at the EU3 forums have been doing this since the last year.

8. Username

Username It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 29, 2006

Lol these guys are pretty much the shit now.
    ALL HAIL ICELAND! WORLD RULER BY 1945!

9. Danilh

Dec 21, 2008
    Actually, you can already convert form Victoria Revolutions to HoI2, it is a part of the "Really Grand Campaign" , starting in 1106 an ending in the 1950's. The trail is : Crusader Kings->Europa Universalis 3 or 2->Victoria Revlutions->Hearts of Iron 2. Some people do this whole trail playing multi-player in every game, and the results are generally freaky like world domination of Sweden or the UK being represented only by a tribal society in Africa and such. Oh well, i'm just getting over-eager at paradox again :)

10. Sorrow

Feb 9, 2006
    Game isn't finished until it's polished.

11. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    For the glory is a fan-made paradox published game.

12. Danilh

Dec 21, 2008
    By that logic, every game that has had a patch or a "fix" has been sold unfinished. And most PC games fall in that category.

13. Flop

Flop Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 10, 2004
    Sounds about right to me.

14. Patton89

Patton89 Vault Dweller

Nov 21, 2008
    I have always loved paradox games, they are one of the best strategy games made these days. Ill be buying vicky 2....in time.

I will wait for HOI3 to get more patches....and i will do the same for vicky 2. Its far smarter thing to do compared to insantly buying a paradox game. Hell, i made that mistake with hoi2. The game didnt even work properly, and when i got it to work, there was no music.
    Had to wait for patches to get my music back.

15. Sorrow

Feb 9, 2006
    Yes. Which says something about their creators and about their audience.

But hey, they could at least clearly write that they are selling beta versions of their games :lol: .
    People who "forget" to mention such "details" are crooks and crooks belong in jail.

16. UniversalWolf

Aug 28, 2005
    Crooks or not, PI's games are among my favorites. As long as they keep following their policy of fixing their games until they end up polished, I'm completely willing to forgive them their shaky releases.

17. Sorrow

Feb 9, 2006
    Note that I'm not talking about the practice of selling beta versions itself. If players are willing to accept it then, it's their problem.

On the other hand not giving a clear information about it is unforgivable.

18. Pfff. Alpha Centauri 2.

19. UniversalWolf

Aug 28, 2005
    I think it would be unforgivable if they released their games the way they do and then never fixed them properly. Since they do always fix them, I can forgive it.

20. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    PI's track record, IMO, is fine.

They tend to have buggy software out of the box, but do work diligently and quickly to address the problems, and usually have them under control in a reasonable amount of time.

Secondly, they actually listen to their fan base, which is more than I can say for most of the industry, who simply panders to the widest possible base.