PC Gamer US speculates

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Apparently our earlier look at Fallout: New Vegas excluded a last, speculation page, in which PC Gamer US speculates based on tidbits they caught. Genma:The Destroyer posted them. They wouldn't normally be worth posting but the first tidbit is of interest.<blockquote>Will this Brotherhood of Steel be closer to the original, closed-off group?

"Avellone let it slip that you had to be born into the Brotherhood-no joiners. Our guess is this Brotherhood will be hardcore, and much less friendly to outsiders."

With the return of Fallout 2's Gecko's, will th gecko-skinning perk also come back to let us earn a few extra caps from selling pelts?

"Our guess? Damn near certain."

The doctor that patches you up and gives you his pip-boy also gives you a Vault 21 suit. Will you visit Vault 21?

"It wouldn't be Fallout without a Vault or two to explore. And that suit might just get you in the front door."

It wouldn't be Fallout without a Vault or two to explore.

If you ask me, it's getting pretty old. :/ It's like "OMG THIS IS FALLOUT! There have to be BoS and of course Vaults in!"

Hm...

Surf Solar said:

If you ask me, it's getting pretty old. :/ It's like "OMG THIS IS FALLOUT! There have to be BoS and of course Vaults in!"

Hm...

The Vault suit annoys me even more. Why the hell does he give you a Vault suit?

Maybe because of your headshot, the clothes you wear before have become unusable. :>

Surf Solar said:

Hm...

Yeah, Vault Boy is getting pretty old, too. Along with the post apocalyptic setting, and the whole idea of guns. I think I liked where Bethesda was going with the whole alien theme in Mothership Zeta.

Seriously, the vaults are kind of a necessity. I mean- sure, it would be interesting to see different forms of fallout shelters (the storm drains and sewers that you could find people hidden in during F3 were a neat addition). But to up and remove any and all traces of vaults from the game would be.. just bizarre.

warsaw said:
Surf Solar said:

Hm...

I think I liked where Bethesda was going with the whole alien theme in Mothership Zeta.

Wait, wait, wait. You realy liked the green stereotype aliens in Mothership Zeta with the Samurai and the Cowboy?

I'd be happy if there are only one or, at the most, two vaults in NV. I remember playing F3 and thinking that the five or six vaults you got to visit were too much and ruined what made the "holy 13" so holy. I mean, yeah it's the nation's capital so they needed more vaults, but if the Enclave knew that they were going to be conducting the vault experiment and the real government was going to eventually migrate to an oil tanker, what was even the point?

I also agree that getting the pipboy and vault suit right away is kind of silly. The first time I played Fallout 2 I didn't even get a pipboy until I took that test in Vault City, several hours into the game. They should've made at least the suit come farther down the line (I realize that without the pipboy you can't even play the game with the Fallout 3 set up). Also if the "vault suit might just let you waltz right through the front door" then it seems like there are multiple ways to enter 21, so why not make the vault suit a reward for a quest?

I think the answer is that they needed to make it as Fallout as possible right away, or else they'd have the people that've only played Fallout 3 all confused.

cunningandvalor said:
The first time I played Fallout 2 I didn't even get a pipboy until I took that test in Vault City, several hours into the game.

Say what? As far as I know that's impossible, but I wouldn't mind hearing from you how you managed to do that.

cunningandvalor said:
The first time I played Fallout 2 I didn't even get a pipboy until I took that test in Vault City, several hours into the game.

I don't know what version of the game you played but normally you get a pipboy after the Temple every time.

This was when it first came out (I made my mom get me it on the day) and may not have been patched, but I distinctly remember playing through the game and when I'd hit the "PIP" button, it would say "this function is not installed" or "this function isn't available at this time." and it wasn't until I got to Vault City and was taking the citizenship exam that the test administrator said something to the effect of "we download this exam right to your pipboy, oh you don't have one? here's one for the test." (paraphrasing, probably terribly) and then from then on in the game I had one. I'll try to look it up at The Vault, but I swear something to this effect must've happened, or else I made it up entirely in my head.

Yeah I can't find it in the list of bugs in killapp's patch, and I know every time I played it afterward I got one right after the temple. It must've been a one-time thing, unless anyone else has experienced it. If Ausir was around I'd ask him if it's possible that the game might just not have registered that I had received the pip boy from the elder until I needed it at Vault City. McClure's scripted to say something about the pip boy, of that much I am certain. Anyway, ignore that one part of my post.

McClure's scripted to say something about the pip boy, of that much I am certain.

He gives you the "PiPBoy answer console" (just checked) along with the forms needed for the test.

When you ask for work to Seargent Stark he says that you'd need a PiPBoy and he can't give you one, though. You probably confused the two things.

cunningandvalor said:
when I'd hit the "PIP" button, it would say "this function is not installed" or "this function isn't available at this time."

The only thing from fallout 2 I can remember saying that with the pipboy was the area scanner thing on it. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

No, I swear this happened to me. I specifically remember the Pip boy not working at all until I got to Vault City. It did only happen one time, so I'm guessing it was a random bug, but I distinctly remember the pip boy not working until I spoke to McClure.

thats happened to me too. I remember that. Though it was a couple of years since I went through this part. I think it was something before patching too, because it never more happened to me again after I patched the game

Blackened said:
I think this is the correct moment to start posting joke Gecko Skinning perk images.

I don't think she would distract our talented photoshoppers from the kick thread. more epicness i say damnit!

Back