PC World mentions Fallout4 as game of the year even though they think it's a bad game

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by Proletären, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Irwin John Finster

Irwin John Finster Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 13, 2015
    I agree. My point was merely to explain that Human Revolution is more of an RPG than F4 and a lot of other games which are claiming to belong to the RPG genre.

2. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    No doubt, no doubt. It's not hard to surpass Fallout 4 as an RPG due to how they decided to gut many of the leftovers that still had a part of Fallout in them. Hell even that "Grognak the Barbarian" Pipboy game is way more of an RPG than the actual game itself!!!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    I actually sepent some time on that mini-game. I think it is a clear throwback to Wasteland 1-era games, which is nice.

About VA for player characters, I think it can add to the experience if it is properly done. Especially in 3d RPGs with cutscenes, where everyone speaks but your character stands there looking at everyone with blank eyes without saying a word. While Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite Bioware game, on that front I prefered Inquisition which offers 2 VAs per gender, and they are generally pretty good, with the best easily being the females one however. Alix Wilton Reagan does a great job and her voice fits a human or elf PC perfectly.

I'd also be hard pressed to imagine playing The Witcher without Geralt being voiced even if half his dialog sounds like a half bored monotone by convention.

At the same time playing Pillars of Eternity made me apppreciate a silent protagonist. It's not really what you do, it's how you do it. Bethesda going for a voiced protagonist could have worked, they just don't have the writing chops and VA direction to do so. And of course the terrible dialog wheel doesn't help.

4. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    At least they are taking SOME flak for it this time. I mean not as serious like reviews telling people not to buy the game or god forbid that it's a bad game. But you can't ignore some of the nudges thrown at Bethesda this time, where some call it a super-duper-awesome-game, but feel that it moved to far away from what an RPG is, and that in a time where the term RPG is really nothing more but a shallow term.

Only the future can tell us what that means for Bethesda games. I mean, who knows? Maybe the next Bethesda game will contain a dialog wheel with only 2 answer this time ...

[ ] YES
    [x] SARCASTIC - YES

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. Khannis

Khannis Rebuilding America

Jul 3, 2015
    Unfortunately I think that the torrential downpour of fat cash maaaaaay make the flak hard to hear over at Bethesda. But silver-lining I guess, still makes me wet dream about them saying "Yeah, you know? They're right... Obsidian, come over here! How many years do you need to make the best Fallout game ever?"

6. Irwin John Finster

Nov 13, 2015
    This is the future of Fallout and Elder Scrolls:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  7. berlin1945

berlin1945 First time out of the vault

Oct 4, 2015
    it's either write crap like that, or tell the truth about a game that was supposed to bring it all

8. coldroll

coldroll Fuck Bethesda

Jul 4, 2012
    Those games don't have shit on Resident evil for the ps1 and mega man 8,Silent hill,for the ps1 as well as other games. Like the Nintendo CDI games with way worse voice acting than Fallout 4 hell look at Fallout 3 even has worse voice acting most of the time (except a few exceptions) than Fallout 4. I mean look at these videos as an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQgeF7MW-0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdJgD4xKSM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG7JtcY_eUA

I've played hundreds of other games throughout the years that are even worse than these examples forgive me for not being able to memorize all of them. Also not all the voice acting was bad in Wasteland 2 but I do agree most of it wasn't great either.

It could be done it's just the developers are lazy and don't include more voice actors for whatever character the player wants to play as it would cost more money to hire more voice actors but in the end it would be a more worth it to engross the player and suspend their belief. If money wasn't the issue they could include as many different voices for every players play style. Dragon Age origins did a half ass attempt at this but it failed! Because they didn't include enough voices and just gave up half way through the process.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  9. Irwin John Finster

Nov 13, 2015
    The list I provided was a list of games with great voice acting, not bad voice acting. If you have to go all the way back to old Nintendo games to find examples of games with worse voice acting than Fallout 4 then my point rests - F4 has awful voice work.

My list was a list of what could be considered peers of F4. If Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed can churn out annual games with good production quality I don't see any reason to cut Bethesda any slack for having 4 to 7 years and expecting people to gobble up this clearly mediocre effort. It defines the phrase "phoning it in."

10. Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 4, 2015
    Wish they would have brought Liam Neeson back, at least then finding your lost child by murdering your way through the game would have felt right.

11. Irwin John Finster

Nov 13, 2015
    They only hire good voice actors for characters that either die in the very beginning of the game or have very few lines at all. Like Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion and Liam Neeson in Fallout 3.

I don't even know if the voice actors are to blame because I've come to believe they were just given a script containing only their lines completely out of context so they had no idea what the other actors would be saying, then just recorded each line separately and inorganically.

Probably because they spent 90% of their budget on marketing and making Codsworth say 1000 names.

12. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Actually, I found Patrick and Neeson to be mediocre voice actors, but most probably for the reasons that they are decent actors rather than very great voice actors and the fact that they had shitty scripts to work with. With Patrick even that he is actually more suited as actor for TV shows - many of his movies outright suck, like all of the Trek movies.

I like Neeson as actor, in most of his movies at least he is doing a decent job. But he needs a camera, something that allows acting, to perform well. His voice alone, isn't simply enough. He's not so much a bad voice actor as more an over priced one I think, he can't be cheaper than all the other ones out there. For example, the guy who voiced Alex Jenson in Deus Ex:HR left a much better impression and he was probably much cheaper to get than Neeson. But, he also had a decent source material to work with I guess. Fallout 3s plot was a clusterfuck to begin with.

Anyway, I wish those big AAA games would slow down with all this fully voiced stuff. I know it's great for marketing, trailers, hype and all that. But it really kills what games should be about. Interactivity, player input, not cinematic experiences. That's what we have movies for!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  13. Irwin John Finster

Nov 13, 2015
    Point is Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson are 1000 times better than whoever did the male protagonist of Fallout 4. You could pay any one of us in hamburgers and we'd probably do a better job. But I don't know if it is the fault of the voice actor or the writers because the lines are just bad regardless.

14. Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 4, 2015
    I think Patrick Stewart was a victim of the material, I find him quite funny in his work on American Dad.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, he's a brilliant voice actor when his lines aren't shite.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  16. coldroll

coldroll Fuck Bethesda

Jul 4, 2012
    He was pretty awesome as the narrator in Ted as well.

17. fakeangel

fakeangel First time out of the vault

Nov 22, 2015
    On the topic of VA's, Courtnay Taylor is overall better than her counter part, but even she could not make the ending narration work.

Strangely enough, she is even allowed to make small liberties to her script, which most of the time results in a better delivery, but in the ending, it sounded even worse.