Pete Hines interview

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Vice President of Marketing and PR Pete Hines talks to GamesIndustry.biz on why Bethesda wins forever.<blockquote>Q: Does it make it more challenging to convey that from a marketing perspective?

Pete Hines: Well, look at Oblivion. Everybody said 'there's no chance you're going to sell Oblivion into a console audience; it's too big, it's too complicated, it's too much of a PC thing. They won't get it. Console gamers don't like that kind of stuff.' And then they bought it by truckloads, and it was like 'well, there goes that theory. What other theories do you have?' And then they're 'you can't take an old-school PC isometric turn-based role-playing game and turn it into something that's relevant on next-generation consoles.'

So we did Fallout 3, and that won game of the year and sold a gazillion copies. It turns out that people just like good stuff, and if you market it well and you get people into what the game is about people like it. People want to play good stuff, they want to get value for they're paying for these games. So I think we do a pretty good job of delivering on that, making sure that when you buy a game from us that it's gonna be fun and different and unique from what you played last week, last month, last year.

Q: It must pretty heavily affect the budgets though...

Pete Hines: It does. But what affects the budget more than anything is just the nature of making a game on a 360 or a PS3 - you can't afford to have the same number of artists that you had eight years ago when you were making it for the Xbox, because it takes a lot more work, a lot more effort, a lot more time to put that level of detail in. It's more a function of that than how great do you want the game to be, if that makes any sense.</blockquote>

So I think we do a pretty good job of delivering on that, making sure that when you buy a game from us that it's gonna be fun and different and unique from what you played last week, last month, last year.

Unless of course you played any of our other games last week, last month, or last year. Since y'know they are all the same.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, ...

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, ...

This GameIndustry.biz site certainly looks all BUSY-ness, all the time.

The page must be 3/4 ads.

Not a good inducement to surrender an e-mail address, so can read blustering bravado from the plucky Pete.

Poor Pete comes across as a bruised psyche with a chip on his shoulder. PR biz must be tough.
B-soft titles never interested me, until they bought the rights to FO, all the cock crowing victorious prancing comes across as puerile prattle.
Sorry Pete, know the best is yet to come, once this emo purge is exorcised.

G-I-(dot) Biz, can this be the web's seedy future?

Not news enough there for me to sign up for more spam.
Most e-mail these days is from product registration or on line ordering. This is spam I accept.
Why would the casual information gleaner wish Biz buzz pontifications from these spin doctors?

BN , thanks for the heroic quest into the belly of the beast, that biblical Mammon perhaps. Thanks for takin' one for the team.

Brother None is this the coming thing, or just some hard ball teasing by artfully intelligent entities, who grasp for the money first and the game-play last?
A valid world view, but hardly the sexiest way to sell software. Maybe advertising is exploiting all the deadly sins, so envy gets a tickle or two, this day.

Lust gets a holiday and maybe the tits and ass strut out next week, or so.

G-I-(dot) Biz, all business all the time. Thanks for the wake up call.

If the real game is about making money, why should I bother with B-soft products, a net loss so far from my drive way.

G-I-(dot) Biz. In the calculus of web econ, time equates proportionally to money.

Got no time for G-I-(dot) Biz.

If I buy their world view I have no time for entertainment too. The bread and circus is just an illusion, it's money that we all stand in, (up to our necks).

Total Victory for the Church of Mammon.

(Sigh), jus' take my eye balls and roll on home … :roll:

Gee. No over time in this most recent economic decline, maybe there's a garage that needs painting …

4too

It's not like Fable(I know), Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind were in the top ten selling Xbox games. Oh wait they were. Any moron could see that WRPGs were going to sell huge on the Xbox 360(which was going to sell more than the Xbox).

It's not like everyone was saying Fallout 3 was going to be Oblivion with guns and everyone predicted that Oblivion with guns would sell boatloads, and that was the product that Bethesda delivered. Oh wait, that's exactly what happen.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were safe, safe, safe games to make. But I guess it is a boring story to tell if you are the Vice President of Marketing and PR of the company that made them. So hey, no harm in inventing a fictional narrative, it's not like the gaming media will analyse any statement or claim made. Hell most them were probably still doing some Communication Degree when Fallout 3 was released.

Vice President of Marketing and PR Pete Hines talks to GamesIndustry.biz on why Bethesda wins forever.<blockquote>Q: Does it make it more challenging to convey that from a marketing perspective?

Pete Hines: Well, look at Oblivion. Everybody said 'there's no chance you're going to sell Oblivion into a console audience; it's too big, it's too complicated, it's too much of a PC thing. They won't get it. Console gamers don't like that kind of stuff.' And then they bought it by truckloads, and it was like 'well, there goes that theory. What other theories do you have?' And then they're 'you can't take an old-school PC isometric turn-based role-playing game and turn it into something that's relevant on next-generation consoles.' ...

well yeah. And that was also one of the main complaints about Oblivion back then being to complex and all that stuff (For those which are confused: Sarcasm)

I also thought that "It's too complicated, it won't work!"-thing was funny to read. Especially considering that the step from Morrowind to Oblivion was a pretty big dumbed down one.

And about Fallout: I don't remember anymore how the rest of the world saw the situation, but at least I personally never thought that it would be a problem to bring the game into a FPS perspective / console game / whatever. The problem always has been the quality the game would most likely have... and yeah, we know how it ended.

Brother None said:
you can't afford to have the same number of artists that you had eight years ago when you were making it for the Xbox, because it takes a lot more work, a lot more effort, a lot more time to put that level of detail in. It's more a function of that than how great do you want the game to be, if that makes any sense.

Didn't Morrowind have barely any artists anyway? I know they only had one guy making the characters in the game.

Lexx said:
I also thought that "It's too complicated, it won't work!"-thing was funny to read. Especially considering that the step from Morrowind to Oblivion was a pretty big dumbed down one.

And about Fallout: I don't remember anymore how the rest of the world saw the situation, but at least I personally never thought that it would be a problem to bring the game into a FPS perspective / console game / whatever. The problem always has been the quality the game would most likely have... and yeah, we know how it ended.

I absolutely agree with this point. Then ya know, they had to call it a true sequel and all. But ya know, I'm not going to start another sequel debate and I'm sure ya'll know where I'm coming from anyway.

I want to see Fallout 4 only just to see more of the soul sucked out of the series. Who knows, it might be good, but judging from the complete mediocrity of Beth's last few games and it doesn't leave me much hopeful. Then again, Skyrim looks somewhat back to form. Then again, Beth should probably just stick with Elderscroll games. :)

Natural Talent

Natural Talent

Kilus said:
... But I guess it is a boring story to tell if you are the Vice President of Marketing and PR of the company that made them. So hey, no harm in inventing a fictional narrative,...

Maybe if Pete were the lead writer for FO 4 there would be fewer plot holes.

4too

4too, as poignant as ever.

Yeah somewhere now, a used car lot is missing it's salesman.

Hines, certainly the best storyteller and spin-doctor employed by Bethesda.

toddddmd1.jpg

Kilus said:
Oblivion and Fallout 3 were safe, safe, safe games to make. But I guess it is a boring story to tell if you are the Vice President of Marketing and PR of the company that made them.

I wouldn't call any game of such scope to be 'safe'

They were good bets, but not safe.

The problem is. Always when I see Emil. Read Fallout 3s dialogues. I have a hard time to realise that he worked on The Thief which was a pretty good game. ...

Crni Vuk said:
The problem is. Always when I see Emil. Read Fallout 3s dialogues. I have a hard time to realise that he worked on The Thief which was a pretty good game. ...

Wasn't he a level designer?
Just because you can make maps doesn't make you a qualified script writer.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Crni Vuk said:

Wasn't he a level designer?
Just because you can make maps doesn't make you a qualified script writer.

Well ... then it would be quit a leap no ? I mean how did he got a job as script writer (if that is his role in Bethesda)

Not directly relating to the topic, but I was kinda amused by the fact that MCA was in same game engineering school at the same time the Toddler was there too. Now, who of the both didn't do his homework? ;D

Actually™, he never was on a game engineering school. What you mean was the normal high school.

The College Of William And Mary In Virginia

The College Of William And Mary In Virginia

Browsing several wikis over numerous cycles of Eastern Daylight savings time,

Chris A and Todd H are alumni of William And Mary,

a small liberal arts, state supported, college,

huddling in the shadow of the twin theme parks of American Driving Destiny,

Colonial Williamsburg :salute: and Busch Gardens :drunk:.

4too

Re: The College Of William And Mary In Virginia

4too said:
Colonial Williamsburg :salute: and Busch Gardens :drunk:.

4too

Dude, Busche Garden rocks.

What suprises me is how often Peter Hines says something that just says, "Me = Butt Monkey. As in, I am a Monkey in your ass. Like a sea monkey except more annoying because I can crawl up your ass and poke you for shits and giggles."

I mean, jesus, dude, if you're going to say something stupid- better to shut the fuck up.

We had some Fallout 3 dude come down to UVA a year or so ago and talk about how cool it was to be a programmer making a game like Fallout 3 and how that makes you so fucking creating.

A lot of fanboys showed up. Oooohs and Aaaahs... Then I asked, "Excuse, how do you justify your creativity? Fallout 1 was made by a small shop who wanted to create something different and, in the process, created a story. Fallout 3 is basically a crappy sequel that couldn't even stay consistent with Canon but was generally targetted to a broad, gum chewing audience of teenagers and, based on what was delivered, your development crew either knew or understood next to nothing about the original game. "

"Well," says designer, "I really liked that I made a kewl game that played to a broader audience."

'Yes, so you basically sold out to the mass market then." says me.

"I guess you could say that."

Now Peter Hines goes off, "I changed the nature of Fallout from isomorphic 'old school' to a new game with a crap and inconsistent story and got to sell gazillons." Look at me, I sold a zillion used cars, and I the shit!!!

= Butt Monkey.

Back