Planescape: Torment

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Dracon M'Alkir, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Felipefpl

Felipefpl Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2010
    sea - i believe drivers arent the problem from the reads i made at spellhold studios, i believe you wanted to mean disable Direct3D since DirectDraw is needed for Planescape ;)

Pixote - if the hints here dont help go to Ghostdog's forum and post there since the other forums are rather inactive (Qwinn and scient didnt go there for almost 1 year) (no need to register to post)

2. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks Felipefpl - but I just installed Baldur's Gate Tutu to sooth my sorrows (and loving it :wink: ). I might just grab my old PC and install windows 98, that way I know it will work. All of the sudden I'm having this need to replay all of the old but good RPG's (the infinity engine craving).

3. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    Speaking of tutu, ever tried Big World Project Pixote ?

4. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I've always been a fan of BGT over EasyTutu. Being able to continue the adventure of the first game right into the second is a very nice feature, and I prefer the consistency of being able to play the first game and the second game without having to bother with uninstalling/reinstalling stuff. I've also heard EasyTutu is buggier and may be less compatible with some mods, though I haven't put that to the test.

5. Fallout1FTW

Fallout1FTW Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 25, 2010
    @Pixote, try uninstalling the wide screen mod

OT, Planescape is still top of the pops for me and my friends. We're still having a regular once-per-week gaming session set in the world of Planescape.

6. Ninjerk

Ninjerk First time out of the vault

Nov 8, 2008
    Are any of you playing BG multi? I've been scanning Tunngle for BG2 MP games and no one ever talks in those chats.

7. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Not yet, but I'll seek it out.

Currently I'm playing Fighter/Thief character - completely solo, on insane difficulty, great fun, and I don't need to worry about my NPC's getting killed. The biggest challenge is fighting other human parties, especially magic using characters...and being stunned by a Ghast is pretty ignoring as well. The only modification I have undertaken is the experience level cap removal...

8. Xellos

Feb 10, 2006
    Heh , played through Big World Project insane solo F/M/T, in BG1 part Mage doesn't help so much, but in BG2 it's hard time soloing without dispels/breaches is tough, especially with Tactics and other mods incorporated

9. thegaresexperience

thegaresexperience Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Sep 3, 2010
    Reading this thread makes me REALLY want this game!

10. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    You should do it then. ;) I personally rate it even higher then fallout in my book. If you plan to get it, don't let yourself spoiler anywhere. Remember that you only have one single "fist time experience" - don't let pesky spoilers ruin it for you.

11. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Hm, I'm not sure with this point. Anyway, there are some fresh tips from my last gameplay:
    - all the combat experience points are divided equally amongst your party.
    - there is the Modron cube item available. It's an infinite experience source, the monsters are respawning inside.

No, sea was right. It's the hardware accelerated DirectDraw, which is causing the troubles in the older IE games. Usualy disabling this feature is good enough to solve them.

12. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    To clarify, the problem is in the DirectDraw compatibility of the drivers themselves; many older games have similar problems, such as the original StarCraft and Diablo. Forcing DirectDraw emulation in the application's compatibility settings works well, as does disabling hardware acceleration of DirectDraw, since this bypasses your video card's hardware, but both these approaches can cause glitches, such as the as-of-yet-unsolved cursor trails in Planescape.

13. Xellos

Feb 10, 2006
    Undersigil is even better than cube, larvals give more xp and respawn too (not too mention Greater Glabrezu, which spawn best items in the game). Also, higher wisdom=more xp

14. God is Dog backwards

God is Dog backwards Mildly Dipped

Jul 25, 2003
  15. Arr0nax

Arr0nax A Smooth-Skin

Oct 30, 2009
    Thank you for sharing ! probably deserves a news post of its own on NMA

16. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    I have that podcast on subscribtion - TBH, this episode is pretty damn boring. Nothing new in it either.

17. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    Some awesome concept art appears in that article page.

8-) ,
    The Vault Dweller

18. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Cranium rats!

19. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    But, how am I suppose to turn in their tails?

20. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    SILENCE! BRING US ALFALFA. WHEEK, WHEEK.

:clap: ,
    The Vault Dweller