Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Hardboiled Wanderer, Jul 10, 2018.
Anyone have any updates on this?
I hope he comes back from vacation soon!
Dang, the last update on this project at Adam Lacko's Twitter was in October. Does anyone know anything new about how he's doing? & If there's been any further progress made?
Continuing on what the last tweet says. Scripting requires a lot of specifically exposed API functionality which I didn't have or it wasn't designed well. Thus I'm reworking those parts of the codebase.
Just yesterday, I finally concluded the code responsible for memory management and instancing of entities. I'd like to perform further tests before moving on, but the good news is that the memory tests I already did all went well, it's very well optimized and there are no leaks, which is a good start.
The next thing is more robust animation system. In fact, I already implemented two of them. Neither is 100% capable of what I need from it because of the limitations of the two underlying Unity systems over which I have no control. As you can see, a lot of time is often consumed by simply fighting the Unity system design and API. To be clear, the first system works well for all usecases, but because of the limitations, the bypasses and other "tricks" are undermining the desired code design, and I don't like that.
One more thing I should probably mention is that I'm trying to design these systems as close to the original engine as possible, in therms of exposed functionality. It is my belief that to get the same experience from it, the engine has to have the same capabilities as well as limitations. I often use IDA to dig into the old engine to get the code structure, since after several failed attempts, I wasn't able to get the source code (I know where it is, they just wouldn't provide it). Furthermore, it is a great help as well that guys from Jefferson Engine Research discord have reversed many data structures, which contributed to the general knowledge about the inner workings of the engine.
It then becomes another fight - redesign the assumed implementations so they would make sense in C# (instead of C++) and so they would respect overall Unity design principles. This is probably the most diffucult part among all, but I enjoy that kind of work.
Really excited for this! Nice to see that it's still going!
Reporting that the animation system I mentioned is now finished and I am quite satisfied with it. I also reimplemented the inventory system, using the new pieces of the codebase. I'll need to play with it for a couple of days, test it thoroughly and then I'll move back to scripting and some actual content making (basically recreating the two demo maps and their design - NPC scripts, doors, triggers, etc.).
Also - I resigned from my current gamedev job and I'm very excited to announce that in about a month from now I'll be working on the unannounced New Blood's RPG in a more fulltime fashion. This means I'll have more time for my sideprojects (since NBRPG used to be one of them)