Quest: Blood Ties. Bug?

Zoroaster

First time out of the vault
Hey. I'm having a hard time completing Blood Ties. I remember having done it before without any problems so I don't think I'm just being retarded here. But this time I'm doing it on a new xbox with a different user - maybe it's a different patch or something?

Anyway, I follow the quest stages on fallout.wikia.com:

10 Deliver Lucy's message.
15 Discover what the Family did in Arefu.
20 Check the West Residence.
21 Check the Schenzy Residence.
22 Check the Ewers Residence.
25 Report to Evan King.
30 Locate the Family.
40 Locate Ian West.

This is where I'm stuck. I get the password from Vance from the speech check, and move over to the terminal next to the door to Ian. I type the password in the terminal and unlock the door, with the computer giving me the message: "Door released", everything normal so far. But when I try to open the door it's still locked, the text is red, and says it requires a key. Anyone had the same problem or have any idea how to fix this? Tried reloading from an earlier save already and doing everything "perfect", still got the same problem :/

Thanks for your help.

I have never had this happen to me before, but FO3 does seem to have more than its fair share of bugs. You are not remembering incorrectly, the door should be unlocked after doing all of that. I have no idea any way you could fix that, without having to fall back to a previous save.

This is a prime example why one should always keep backup save files for any fallout game--older ones OR newer ones.

FOvet said:
This is a prime example why one should always keep backup save files for any fallout game--older ones OR newer ones.

I agree. If anything, I'd recommend constantly switching between two saves, and as soon as you encounter a problem, you will have at least one, if not the pair, of saves to go back to.

Sub-Human said:
FOvet said:

I agree. If anything, I'd recommend constantly switching between two saves, and as soon as you encounter a problem, you will have at least one, if not the pair, of saves to go back to.

That is exactly what I do--and also don't rely on auto-saves; they seem to be the most prone to glitches.

Back