Replacing an Original Xbox DVD Drive

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by 5545Trey, Jun 19, 2016.

1. 5545Trey

5545Trey Underground Deviant

Jun 25, 2014
    Three months ago, I decided to dismantle my Xbox (about 9 years since I have played the system). Of course, like all systems, the inside was filled with dust, but everything else seemed to be in good condition, so I took out the Thompson DVD Drive, but had a hard time trying to screw it with the screwdrivers that I had. Two months later, I managed to unscrew DVD Drive and remove both casings so that I could see what the problem was. Everything seemed fined, except for the fact that I had to clean the laser lens, which are needed to read discs. I never had the chance to test my Xbox for results because I was busy, and still am. I have lost the yellow cable which was found plugged in the DVD Drive, and I just do not have the time to search every nook and cranny in my room.

Today, I looked up some websites on how to replace DVD Drives, in one of these websites, I scrolled down to comment section someone suggested Philipps DVD Drives would work best for Gen 1 Xboxes. Is this true? Do Philipps DVD Drives last longer than Thompson Drives, and can they play burnable discs?