Saving in combat, is it really that bad?

Nah, but I do have pain associated with getting a vasectomy. They don't tell you that before the procedure, that it can cause lifelong intermittent pain. I think it's from like the tubes being shorter or something, I don't know.

If I knew it wouldn't affect my personality I'd just have them chopped off. They serve no purpose at this point except causing me pain in various circumstances. Ever sat down too hard or at the wrong angle? Balls are overrated, they suck.

Atomkilla said:
You got kids?
Nope. I hate kids, don't want any.

It's funny I've wanted a vasectomy since I was 19, now I'm almost 29 and people are still like "OMG what if you change your mind?!?!" ... people are surprisingly-deeply ingrained to breed, even the ones that should know better. It's odd.

Did you know that vasectomy isn't the only solution? I don't remember the details right now, but a while ago I was reading about stuff that was injected with a syringe into the spermatic duct. It stays for 10 years or something and destroys sperm on nano level, works 100% and doesn't cause any other adverse effects. Also it can be reverted at any time.

Not that this has a lot to do with saving in Fallout combat, though. :D Unless we are talking about sex encounters, that is.

Lexx said:
Not that this has a lot to do with saving in Fallout combat, though. :D Unless we are talking about sex encounters, that is.
"You play rough-and-tumble with the Hooker and take 3 points of damage.
You have contracted Wasteland Herpes.
For defeating your enemies, your earn 65 experience points."

I wish I'd known about that spermy-killer thing, that sounds pretty cool. SPERMBOT! Bravely cruising the vas deferens, killing all in its path!

There was once a time when your allies would turn on you if you loaded or you could get stuck at zero APs. Nowadays the only bug that is left is that you have a ~ 2% chance that you would lose your turn.

F2 only allows saving at the start of a turn (might be changed now). Saving in combat is pretty essential if you want your companions to survive, be it in F1 or F2.

Am I offtopic? No you are! :D

Schezza the limit of only saving at start of turn is because of Sfall, if you disable Sfall you can save at any point during combat turns.

Nah, but I do have pain associated with getting a vasectomy. They don't tell you that before the procedure, that it can cause lifelong intermittent pain. I think it's from like the tubes being shorter or something, I don't know.

If I knew it wouldn't affect my personality I'd just have them chopped off. They serve no purpose at this point except causing me pain in various circumstances. Ever sat down too hard or at the wrong angle? Balls are overrated, they suck.

Gives all new meaning to "Fallout FIXT". :razz:

Last edited:
Saving during combat can corrupt your save I heard. I've saved pretty often during combat a few times before in case I get critically hit and die, but now I just save before combat just to be safe because my brothers game got corrupted.

I've had the gambit happen to me. maybe IRL my luck stat is 1, idk...but I've had major errors, the worst of which:

1. Corruption of my save file
2. The game crashing when I try to load the save file

This applies to vanilla FO2, I've never attempted to save during combat since my few ill experiences with it. To be honest, I've had these things happen more often then not during my very few attempts at saving during combat--so I'd say steer clear from doing that.

That said, there IS need to save during combat sometimes--like if you are in a protracted caravan battle or something (or you were foolish enough to attack Sergeant Dornan when he got pissy with you to "show him who's boss" and ended up in a damn hour long combat situation and had to stop playing right in the middle of it). So I don't think people who save during combat are necessarily wanting to do it for nefarious reasons such as cheating *grins*--but save-scumming is obviously something that some people (somehow) manage to do.

The luck I've had saving during combat though, any sort of advantage I could get save-scumming wouldn't be worth the risk. So yeah, I can't speak for FO1, I haven't played it in years (though I'm about to play it with the FIXT mod in the next few days), but I don't recall having those issues in that game--just 2 -__-

I've experienced all the issues people mention: Unloadable game, allies turning on me (in F1, I think), losing my turn, ... and nothing at all (no issues).

The sequence problem, by the way, has to do with a flaw in the way combat sequence is determined. It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly, but I think it was that if you have a higher sequence than an enemy, you end up going after them in every round after the first. I was testing this on the guard in Temple of Trials and reporting it in the Restoration Project bug threads a couple years back; I don't think we ever found a resolution (nor could agree on whether the mechanic was flawed or not).

-m

Wasn't there a bug that happened if you saved the game with an active timer counting? ~Like active dynamite.

Right, this might be total nonsense. I'm no expert and this is just what I think after spending too long playing games...

I think corruption is caused by constant save/loading without actually exiting the game. I save in combat... I actually save every 2 minutes. And if I need to load, I always EXIT the game first. By doing this I can honetly say I haven't had a corrupt or crashy game in years. I believe the constant back and forth of save/loading upsets the memory somehow...

I've noticed this in alot of games. In L4D2 for example, if you don't restart the game after adjusting your addons you can get weird conflicts and errors... it's like things get *stuck* in the memory. The same thing happens if a game(any game) crashes, the temporary files aren't cleared. So when you load the game again you're loading it with the possibly faulty files still in the memory.

Does this make sense or is it bullshit?

@Gizmojunk
Yeah. Ticking dynamite is almost guaranteed to screw up any saved game.

Yes, what you just described "upsets the memory", but memory overload is not the same as corruption. That's software and that's located in the hard drive, not the random access memory. Although, hard resets as a result of memory overload have been known to contribute to hard disc file corruption, so at the very least, there's an indirect association between the things.

Generally speaking, the less you "abuse" your system, the less likely it is to crap out on you, so that's a given. =)

I personally never had a problem with this. It's how I managed to beat tough enemies like deathclaws. I would save everytime I had a good sequence.

Back