Shopping for a new Graphics Card

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Alphadrop, May 21, 2011.

1. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    When in doubt on what new graphics card to get, ask a lot of people who play old RPGs. :V
    ... Well and the Witcher 2.
    Pay days a comin' and I'm thinking of upgrading my old 8800gts 320mb card. She runs o.k but that 320mb is a little behind the curve.

The webs so overloaded with suggestions and I'm kinda lost on anything after the 9x series so help would be appreciated.

Thinking of something around a GTS 250/9600 kind of thing.

2. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    What's your budget dude ? I'd suggest you visit www.techpowerup.com , they make a lot of GPU reviews, in each of them is comparison of about 50 GPUs in terms of pure power, power/dollar and power/watt, in different resolutions. Hope it helps

3. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Well I'll give it a check.
    Budget is around 80 - 100 quid.

4. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    About 150 bucks then, in that range GTX460 or better HD6850 if you find one. Flashing HD6870 BIOS into it makes even better bang for buck

5. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    If it's 100-150 dollars the GTX 460 is a good choice and probably the highest performance per dollar right now. I would recommend the MSI Cyclone or Frozr. Make sure it's the 1gb model and not the 768mb. If you're running an older board and/or don't have very much wattage on the power supply, you may be better off with the GTX 250s (thereabouts) since your CPU will be the bottleneck.

6. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    The Ati cards seem to have some issues with SSAA and general picture quality.
    I'd also say get the GTX460.

7. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    I'll take a look see at the GTX460, clocks in around average of £130 - £150 which is a bit above my price range. Assuming I don't get docked pay for the massive cock up I managed today I'll probably get one.

8. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Elaborate, please.

9. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Make sure your power supply is about... eeeh 700+ watts at least.

10. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Reading up on that it suggests about a 500 watt supply unless you are going SLI or overlock, which I don't do as my equipment breaks down often enough without it.

The cock up was only loosing £98.01 at the convenience store I work at. Well massive compared to the most anyone else looses is about 5 quid.

11. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The GTS 250 or whatever is no better than what you have - it's basically a rebranded 8800 GT. Stay away.

The GTX 460 or HD 6750 are probably your best bet at the moment, depending on whether you like NVIDIA or AMD. The GTX 460 is a bit more expensive but is also a good deal faster and will handle any resolution up to about 1680x1050 just fine (doesn't quite have the grunt for 1080p displays). Same goes for the HD 6850, if you have a big monitor or TV you might need a 6870 instead.

As for power supplies, unless you're running a few hard drives, lots of external devices, and start to overclock your system heavily, if you have a decent supply, it will manage just fine. Remember, though, that newer video cards require at least one 6- or 8-pin PCIe power cable, so you'll need to make sure you have some of those depending on what the card you get requires.

12. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Well I'm playing Brink at the moment which uses OpenGL so steering clear of ATI. :P
    Yea, probably going to cash out for a 460 as it looks nice. My monitor only supports up to 1024x1280 so the resolution isn't a worry.
    I have a modular 500 watt psu so the pins aren't a problem, brought it two months ago when my last one conked out.

Thanks for the replies y'all.

13. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    ... what does OpenGL have to do with AMD here? Both AMD and NVIDIA have equal support for OpenGL and Direct3D, aside from DirectX 10.1, which only AMD supports (but it was only used in one or two games as an optional feature, so not missing much).

14. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Oh, some ATI cards are having trouble with some of the newer games using OpenGL instead of Direct3D. Not sure why really.

15. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    Either get an nVidia GTX 460 1GB, or spend about $20 (American) more (and ignore the ATi/OpenGL thing which is 99% guaranteed a non-issue) and get a more powerful Radeon HD6850. Those are the best cards in your price range.

16. Alphadrop

Aug 21, 2008
    Already got the 460, it's all quiet and stuff which I'm not used too.

17. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I could recommend some hot and noisy video cards if the silence is freaking you out. ;)

18. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    I recently replaced my failing 8800GT (they all seem to be failing right about now, judging by the board posts I've read) with a Radeon 5770. Not the newest, shiniest, most expensive GPU, but better than my old one and much, much quieter.

The ATI driver interface is clunkier and less intuitive than NVIDIA's, but the GPU itself has been great. Haven't had any problems to speak of. Switching from one brand to another was no problem.

19. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Looking into an upgrade, budget is $200. According to manufacturer's website I have support for two PCI Express x16 Gen 2 graphics cards up to 150 watts. I have one card at the moment, NVIDIA Quadro FX 580. How do dual card setups work? Would I benefit more from getting another fx 580 or a single better card? Or am I able to get a better card than that and set up a dual card with my old one? My power supply is 850w, which I assume is more than enough to handle the extra card.

Here's my specs n stuff, straight out of Speccy

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1

CPU
    Intel Xeon E5503 @ 2.00GHz 46 °C
    Gainestown 45nm Technology

RAM
    12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-16)

Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0CRH6C (CPU1)

Graphics
    DELL 2408WFP (1920x1200@59Hz)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

Hard Drives
    244GB Seagate ST3250318AS (RAID) 29 °C
    313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-75L9A0 (RAID) 31 °C

Optical Drives
    PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device

Audio
    TRI-CAPTURE

20. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    If you are willing to spend a little more I would recommend checking out the "560ti Twin Frozr II". It's a factory overclocked / quiet version of Nvidia's 560ti card.

It runs all recent games on high / ultra settings at your native resolution (your CPU is a pretty huge bottleneck though).

You wouldn't really benefit from getting another Quadro 580 card, combining cards (SLI) is not worth the money IMO unless you have a multi-monitor setup and use some crazy high resolution.

It might be possible to leave your current card installed and use it for PhysX calculations in certain games.

Detailed review, benchmark etc:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_560_Twin_Frozr_II_OC/