So someone gifted me a copy of F3 GOTY but i can't launch it

PainlessDocM

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
I installed the game in the standard directory.
When I try to launch it I see the loading screen for about one second and I get the message "Fallout3.exe has stopped working".

As far as I know the game is updated with the last patch.

I try to run it on this computer:

i7 920
HD 4890
6GB DDR3
Vista 64

(all drivers are up to date)

Any ideas?

As a general rule of thumb for getting things to work in Vista that just don't work for some reason I do the following:

1. Install it to the C: drive (c:\fallout 3)
2. Right-click the fallout3.exe and set it to "run as administrator" (you can also try XP compatibility mode but sometimes that makes it worse)
3. Turn off data execution preventation for fallout3.exe:

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...n-dep-and-how-to-disable-it-in-windows-vista/

You want to make sure you just 'add' a specific .exe, rather than turning it off all together.

Outside that, maybe make sure your video and directx drivers are up-to-date. Let me know how it goes.

1.Not an option on this pc.
2.Tried that.
3.Is permanently turned off.

"You want to make sure you just 'add' a specific .exe, rather than turning it off all together. " What would be the difference?

Thanks for the suggestions though.

PainlessDocM said:
"You want to make sure you just 'add' a specific .exe, rather than turning it off all together. " What would be the difference?

I would just never suggest disabling one of the OS's security components. I don't disable UAC either though, some people think I'm weird :-)

A couple other suggestions might be...:

- Go into the compatibility tab of both the fallout3 and launcher executables and check "disable visual themes".
- Right-click the Fallout 3 folder, go to the security tab and set your account to "full permissions". The program file folders are by default a bit more restrictive than most other folders (hence the installing C: drive bit).

Not sure what else you could try... maybe start looking at the applications running in the background (down by the system clock). I've heard there are some that can cause problems with the game.

Try using FOMM to launch FO3, I use it all the time (with mods) but you can use it to just launch the game (with dlc if you have it). it may work for you.

otherwise find and get the "no-cd" Fallout3.exe file. that file may have something yours is missing

otherwise re-install it (after first removing FO3) be sure to back up your save files first though.

If none of that works then you can simply get Win 7

Back