Starfield

Are you going to be a Bethesdafag?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • I am a hypocrite.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I like to whine a lot about things I am the reason for sucking.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Fallout is dead, it is now just gonna be expansions for Fallout 76 for the next conceivable future.

They destroyed whatever shred of simpathy i could have for them after literally well over a decade of making garbage entries in two franchises that had immense potential.

And even if i disagree with the direction, what their audience wants is the exact opposite of i want. So the chances of them making any game that suits any of my tastes are pretty much zero, because Bethesda isn't interested in it. Why would they change the winning formula at this point, the formula i despise?
LOL! E3 really has a habit of making even the most vocal of critics go, "Well maybe this time will be better!" after getting burned over a dozen times. I don't trust Bethesda. Their track record over the past decade has been less then desirable and they have made no plans to change what they are doing because idiots on here will still give Bethesda a chance and buy their games which creates an endless cycle.

Well, I'm not gonna knock the attempt of at least bringing up a new IP; in a medial landscape full of reboots and sequels it's a good thing.
However, it's still Bethesda. They don't really fill me with confidence when it comes to their writing capabilities, let alone technical prowess.
But we'll see. I always hope to be positively surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

At the end of the day Bethesda is just a company that makes games, and getting angry about games is dumb because unless companies are actually scamming people, it doesn't really matter. Don't get me wrong: I still believe Fallout 3 and 4 are utter failures as Fallout games and will likely believe that as strongly until the day I die, it's just at the end of the day Bethesda is just a company that makes video games

Here is the problem that I have with Bethesda and its people handling the Fallout franchise.
They have not just damaged the IP's design philosophy and lore for now. They have damaged it permanently.

Should a miracle happen and the Fallout IP be pulled from Bethesda's hands, whatever team will handle Fallout next, it will continue with Bethesda's design philosophy because the management types believe that that sells. And continue on the lore of Fallout 3, 4, and 76, because the Nu fandom wants that because they grown up with it.

There will be no announcement in which the development team will announce that everything after Fallout 2 will be non canon, and Fallout will return to its roots.
Bethesda's influences will never be removed from it.

Yes, Bethesda just makes games in order to make money.
But they like a lot of other game companies these days have only bought up old popular IPs that have become unused for some reason, is because they want to build on that name and its reputation, not because their designers are such fans who believe that a franchise should not die because it has still so much potential for new games.
We then see how these new owners turn these existing franchises into something completely else. Not even as a spin off, but as an official continuation or reboot.

And I feel that this is mostly done because management and marketing like the people in Hollywood feel that it is too risky to launch a new experimental IP, and rather take from the past again.

It is not just the game development companies that are a problem, but also the customer base that embraces it.
Hence that my loathing goes to both game developers who resurrect titles simply for its name, and their fandoms who just swallow it.

Bethesda is like that dog that will bite anyone that tries to pet them. The first time you tried to pet it, you didn't knew, so it wasn't your fault. By the second time, you fucking knew. And by the fifth time, you deserved it.

So i don't get this "open-mindness" for a game from a company that doesn't care what they will make as long it pleases their core fanbase. For fifteen years they have only made games for the lowest common denominator, games only made to please casuals with no regard if it will upset older fans. What makes people think they will change now? They have no reason to.

They don't deserve another chance. The sooner Bethesda goes belly up, the sooner the IPs it holds hostage are freed from it.

Bethesda own 3 ips, those being Elder Scrolls, which only Bethesda wants to touch, Fallout which can easily be given to Obsidian or Inixle at any given time (and I suspect Microsoft will get one of them to develop a Fallout game at some point) and Starfield, a game which no one knows anything about, not even Todd.

It's not like they are sitting on a library of IPs here, and in many regards, they aren't even really owner by Bethesda anymore.
Microsoft essentially owns everything now, which adds to what I said that Obsidian could probably be given the reigns to make a 2D fallout game if there's enough demand for it.

A river is never the same river twice.
You guys are mad at change after nearly how many years? Kinda weird at this point. There are a lot of games that I loved that have either stopped being what they were by the studio that made them, or were transferred to a new studio. It sucks if it's something I like, but I also don't care so much that I hope anything by the new people fails. This is the kind of shit I hear in 6th grade and it makes for the same predictable, boring ass conversations.
Grow up. :roll:
Neverwinter Nights or the Neverwinter MMO?
I was actually thinking of Icewind Dale. Neverwinter Nights is also cool looking. I didn't know they had mmo. I hear about Icewind Dale a lot in my family as my dad used it to get two of my older cousins into computers and now they work in tech so it gets brought up a lot at family get togethers.

Fuck you too, buddy.

And you can just put people on ignore if you are tired of the same "old boring ass conversations". No one is forcing you to read them.

It's hilarious someone coming to this forum and be surprised that a lot of discussions, at least when it comes to anything Bethesda, is more often than not negative because of what that company did to the franchise that this entire forum is based around.

There are other forums that love to kiss the ass of Bethesda and people should go there if they want more positivity when it comes to anything related to Bethesda, because you are not getting much here (at the very best you get really cautious optimism).

I'm not asking for positivity regarding Bethesda though. I said it was childish to wish failure of new ip by new people because your favorite studio couldn't hack it and decided to sell their ip of their own volition.
It's just a damn game.

I'm surprised they are trying their luck with a new IP instead of nechromancing and/or rebooting an old IP. Usually Bethesda plays much more safe. Good news for now. I hope the game will be good and I think it will probably be at least somewhat good if it won't try to be a mere transposition of Skyrim or FO4 mechanics in a sci-fi setting. I still don't have much faith in Bethesda's writing... that will most likely be bad even in this game but writing isn't everything. It's early to say something more than "I like the aesthetics of it" though, they have shown almost nothing.

I said it was childish to wish failure of new ip by new people
I want it to fail for the memes that it will generate. Fallout 76's PR was fucking hilarious.

because your favorite studio couldn't hack it and decided to sell their ip of their own volition.
Literally didn't happened that way. Let's just say, it involved Bethesda suing to rip out the franchise from another company.

Literally didn't happened that way. Let's just say, it involved Bethesda suing to rip out the franchise from another company.

I remember that story, but I don't think that was foul play on Bethesda's part. Bethesda had the IP and they had to defend their copyright or they would lose it. The worst thing Bethesda did, I think, and it was actually Zenimax and not Bethesda, was scamming Obsidian with the FNV metacritic deal.

I'm surprised they are trying their luck with a new IP instead of nechromancing and/or rebooting an old IP. Usually Bethesda plays much more safe. Good news for now. I hope the game will be good and I think it will probably be at least somewhat good if it won't try to be a mere transposition of Skyrim or FO4 mechanics in a sci-fi setting. I still don't have much faith in Bethesda's writing... that will most likely be bad even in this game but writing isn't everything. It's early to say something more than "I like the aesthetics of it" though, they have shown almost nothing.
I'm wondering if this is to be a world map like how they usually do, or if we'll see the ability to travel to other places and explore. Could be risky if it's the latter. Only ME1 got that right so far. Will there be vehicles? Likely will see outpost building for space colonies. Will there be factions/guilds? Probably for who will control space and the future of mankind, or something.

Hopefully weapons upgrades/mods will be better than Fo4. Eleven space suit and glass smg anyone? :lol:

I remember that story, but I don't think that was foul play on Bethesda's part.
Interplay only sold the right for Bethesda to make 1 Fallout game, with an option for 2 sequel games after that. Not the full IP.
Then they got money problems and were forced to sell the rights to Bethesda (I can't remember if by court or outside court), with exception of the rights to make an online multiplayer game.
Interplay got money problems again and Bethesda sue them for breaching the MMO contract or something like that and took Interplay's rights for the MMO Fallout game.
Later Bethesda sued Interplay once again to make them stop being able to sell the classic Fallout games (Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics), and took the rights to sell those games for themselves (so now Interplay couldn't even sell the games they made, while Bethesda would be the ones selling those games and getting that money).

What's interesting is that Bethesda only bought the rights to make 1 to 3 Fallout games when they heard that Troika Games were already in negotiations to acquire the IP for themselves. Troika Games was made by previous Black Isle Studios members, including the creators of the Fallout IP.

Bethesda has a bad habit of dragging smalling companies to the ground and kick them while they're down. Usually acquiring them or forcing them to shut down, while getting their games and rights to sell them and/or IPs.
Not really foul play, but extremely dickish.

Back