System Of A down

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Kahgan, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Lost Metal

Lost Metal Olde Skull

Jan 3, 2004
    Well I didn't read through all the Metallica posts, just enough of them to see where everyones coming from.

I just wanted to state a few points, and opinions...

Their music is the only music I have ever truly connected with in a way where I will never tire of hearing it. They inspired me to start playing guitar many, many years ago, and for that I am ever grateful.

I also do not believe that they were trying to go for a more mainstream sound with albums like "Black Album,Load,Reload and St.Anger"

I remember buying each of those albums within the first week they came out, and I thought then, and still think now, that they sounded very unique and like nothing on the radio at the present time.

Although, don't get me wrong, I can understand where a lot of the ex-fans are coming from, Metallica did drastically change their sound over the years, and the word drastically is an understatement.

Some people just dont like change, and thats cool, you got 1 life, might as well stick with what you like. Me however, I'll groove with Metallica through all the thrash, the melodic, the hillbilly and garage metal sounds, they have gone through.

and the moment their music stops clicking with me, I'll stop listening. But that doesn't mean, I'll rip on them. I just know they wanted to try something different, and it wasn't for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto System Of A Down....

I think their music is very interesting and chock full of talent.

The vocalist has one very chaotic style, which I think is pretty exciting and fun to listen to. The instruments aren't spectacular, but they can play, and even out-play a lot of their radio-rivals.

However, I am a man of variety, I need it, I want it, and System of A Down, has a hard time holding my attention. A lot of the songs sound a little too similiar.

2. KQX

KQX Vault Senior Citizen

May 3, 2003
    Gravedig

You know, i was pretty indifferent to System of a Down for the most part. I heard some of their older stuff and liked parts of their music, although i thought they tried too many style shifts in individual songs. But have you heard their latest single, "Lonely Day"? Wow.....that just might be...one of the worst songs ever made (without the possibility of the so-bad-it's-good factor)

First, let's look at the profound message this song conveys:

That's it. Those are the lyrics.

You know who these lyrics remind me of? Me...when i was 11 years old and i just learned to play some basic chords on the guitar. I was so excited that i could make up some music on my own that i just wanted to put together some lyrics and claim i wrote an entire song. What mattered to me was that the lyrics rhymed and that they made some sense. Pretty similar to "Lonely Day" if you ask me. "Banned" and "stand" do rhyme, and having a lonely day does make sense. But hey, aren't these guys like professional musicians...with experience?

But let's put the lyrics aside for a sec, since SOAD hardly ever had a reputation for their lyrics. ("why dont the presidents fight the war?" Wow SOAD, you just blew my mind with that original and thought provoking inquiry) Does "Lonely Day" at least make up for these crappy lyrics with some fine music/melody? Hardly. Basic chords and combinations used millions of times in the past. And the melody, in addition to that annoying whiny voice, barely anything remarkable or even mediocre in complexity. It's a little harder to sing than "Mary had a little lamb" though.

I really have nothing against simple songs. I love almost every Nirvana song, and yet most of their songs use only basic chords and have simple, almost random, lyrics. Kurt Cobain even admitted (especially with his early songs) that he often just kind of put words together to make up lyrics. The song Sifting is one example. Random rhymes put together. But you know, despite the randomness, the word combinations are interesting and pretty amusing. You could potentially even try to untangle some riddle from those lyrics. But "Lonely day"? There's really no riddle there. It couldn't be any more clearer. It's like some boring office small talk. "Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays"

But you know what the worst part is? That "Lonely day" is a fucking single!! I mean, let's say this song was just some Album filler, you know putting in a stupid track so they can have X number of total songs. That's pretty shitty in itself. But no, they made a video for this song! It's getting radio play! So they consider it a worthy song? What the hell is going on? I mean, how brain damaged do you have to be to hear this song and then conclude "yeah, let's make this one stand out". It should be like some hidden track of shame if anything at all.

So SOAD, you sucketh.

3. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
  4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all

Apr 3, 2003
    Whatnow?

5. Buckle

Buckle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 8, 2004
    Ahh, nothing like a musical flame war. I have enjoyed some of SOADs music. I'm not really sure what "genre' they fall into but to be sure, they are not heavy enough for me. And I was amused by Sander's SA article. If anyone here has bad taste in music, it's me. How many of you listen to Bathtub Shitter?

Talk about bad lyrics...

6. Malky

Malky Lived Through the Heat Death
    Orderite

May 7, 2003
    SOAD are good musicians, I guess, but it's a sound I care very little for. Boring.

Bathtub Shitter are awesome, but they certainly aren't Anal Cunt:

7. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    Kind of the same conclusion I've gotten too. Not to bad, but a litle too much nu metal shit in it...Can't beat Linkin Park in crappyness though :roll:

8. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Ratty, except old Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    This is possibly the funniest thing I read in my life:

9. Bradylama

Bradylama Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Oct 22, 2003
    At first I thought calling System of a Down lyrics College Bullshit was fitting, but after a little thinking it's more like High School Bullshit.

Let's take a look at the ever-popular Chop Suey:

What the fuck is this mess? Apparently the song is about some chick who gets the crap beaten out of her for some menial bullshit, and that's all the song talks about. Throw in a reference to Jesus dying, and apparently the girl is like Jesus, but it's a self-righteous suicide, so she'll kill herself, and she has no reason to do so.

Except, of course, for the fact that she's in an abusive relationship (apparently). Also Jesus is apparently bullshit.

Thanks for nothing.

Next we have Boom! from the charmingly titled "Steal This Album":

A song with lots of topics and no direction. Consumerism is bad, apparently, and your neighbors profit from it. Also there's some bombs and money to be had in it. Is your neighbor in the arms industry? Who knows? (the Shadow Knows)

We're all distracted by tv, and as we consume wars go on that we're apparently unaware of. We should also feed babies instead of kill them.

Thank you, System of a Down, for telling me what I've already heard through the megaphone of some Greenpeace dyke.

I'm not even going to touch on consumerism, and the titling of the album "Steal This Album."

10. Sander

Jul 5, 2003
    Dude, grindcore, yech.

Still, too many Dutch bands that need translating for awesome lyrics. Hell, any band with a song about crapping in someone's head (De Raggende Mannen) has to be brilliant.

11. mortiz

mortiz Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 21, 2005
  12. Dabeav

Dabeav First time out of the vault

Feb 20, 2006
    I grew up liking Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, and Pantera and moved into Prong, NIN, Ministry, KMFDM and side projects, 16 Volt, etc. I like lots of shit, even Linkin Park and Nickelback once in a while. I don't listen to the radio, so I don't get burnt out on these bands either.

SOAD is great, not because they're deep. It's because they're unique, silly, and still sometimes convey a message. Maybe you guys are all serious when it comes to music, but I like a little variety in style and a more light-hearted approach at times.

13. Bradylama

Bradylama Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Oct 22, 2003
    Blink 182 is lighthearted. SOAD is just a bunch of losers with no idea what they're doing, and that sell well to morons, no offense.

If SOAD was honestly making a lighthearted approach, then they wouldn't be trying to convey messages.

14. Malky

Malky Lived Through the Heat Death
    Orderite

May 7, 2003
    Not a Carcass fan? Tsk.

Tr00th.

15. Dabeav

Dabeav First time out of the vault

Feb 20, 2006
    Well, I see nonsensical songs like "Vicinity of Obscenity" of SOAD's as entertaining, kind of like how some of the members here see 4too's prose as brilliant.

And just because I like them, or you may like some strange prose doesn't make us idiots. Like how not everyone who likes Oblivion is an idiot, just most of them. ;)

16. Sander

Jul 5, 2003
    For some weird reason, I do like Carcass. Then again, Carcass is much more Death than Grind. Especially Heartwork.

17. modmaker

modmaker First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2006
    I've got prison song video from concert.

18. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    Nothing beats viking metal though, arr...

19. Sander

Jul 5, 2003
    Ehehehe. Finntroll!
    Folk metal has got to be the weirdest kind of metal. People standing around dressed as vikings on stage..

20. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    If somehow the vikings came back to life I bet they'd listen to metal.