Talking Heads

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Continuum, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    Run Fallout and look how original talking heads are talking*. It's not fucking next-gen where you have unlimited possibilities of animating character :lol:

*at least Lynette, I'm goddamn lazy to check the rest of them

2. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Ah yes, you are correct. But the angle your Metzger head pictures are on are at a much sharper angle, those Fallout talking heads look only slightly slanted.

3. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    You could very minimal move the head a bit, so that he isn't that stiff. Overal the animation looks already pretty nifty.

For my talking head, I've used a original talking head as example and just tried to copy all animation steps. This was very good looking in the end.

4. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    I'll see how some small movement will look on this short sequence. But from other hand this shit is repeated all the time (when TH talks), so it may look weird...

As I said I'm goddamn lazy to check original stuff :D And let's be creative! :D

The only thing I'm using is this tutorial by WQ, to keep more or less the same number of frames, etc. Hope Lynette's head isn't different than others...

5. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    But you can see that even Lynette is moving a little bit while talking. :)

Watch her hair.

6. Demonslayer

Demonslayer Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 8, 2005
  7. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm gonna go ahead and point out how I see some of the talking heads;

Fallout 1 Talking Heads
    Fallout 2 Talking Heads

As you can see, the vast majority of them are either head-on with the player or something close enough. Harold is by far the most sideways Talking Head of the bunch. :P

8. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Antediluvian as Feck
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Did you ever notice the Deathclaw skull on the shoulder of Sulik! It’s a shame that the original artists never built any skeletal remains of the critters you encounter. Maybe Mr. Whip could have reminder of the harsh reality of the wastlelands with some extra fashion statement – Golden gecko skin, animal paw, skull, etc.

9. Ardent

Ardent A Smooth-Skin
    Modder

Jul 24, 2009
    I thought this was a gecko skull. But yeah, more bones would be nice.

10. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    I noticed the same. But it's looking like whole frame moving syndrome rather than animation to me. Look closely at clothes - pixels are also moving there. On not post produced TH every goddamn pixel is moving, which may give you an illusion of "animation". But in real there's nothing.

Because it's mutie.

Because it's zombie.

Show me the human.

Mr. Whip's nose is also moving little a bit.

----------------------------------EDIT

Another thing is: I have no idea how TH are working. I don't know when engine is playing Shake and Nod thingy, how talk animation is looking: repeating until talking stops? or maybe something else? I didn't even check my first TH in game. So it may work like shit. Dunno.

----------------------------------EDIT2

Maybe someone could batch all TH to .gifs and put them into some kind of gallery, so other could see them in their full glory, and to have a quick access to them :ugly: Youtube crap isn't representative at all...

----------------------------------EDIT3

Can someone forward Cassidy's FRMs to me? I need to check something, and there's no direct d/l link to it. Thanks.

11. Kahgan

Kahgan Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 25, 2003
    I like this one the most. If you want some stitches, this would be the natural places to have them, since the shoulder and breast pads would probably be double layered thick leather:

A cool thing about leather is that you can emboss it http://images.google.no/images?clie...pera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=nn&tab=wi
    But I'm not sure how that would look in the fallout engine colour palette and resolution. Another thing you could do would be to add some ugly paintings in punk style. (skulls, etc)

12. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I agree on this. Could fit pretty well.

13. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    If they're going to be large enough and have different color then yes, they should be visible.

I'll check this stuff while texturing.

Sure, some stuff can be painted.

Anyway,

I added belts/straps/whatever which are keeping that "front plate" thingy on place, or just for fun, to make the armour moar interesting, since I don't want to add any bones/skulls/whatever to prevent overcrowding. Not much is bad, but too much isn't good also. So modeling is more or less finished, I guess... I have no more ideas...

Does anyone know what to hell is that "three rectangles" thingy which is visible on right part of the chest plate thingy when you look at inventory item? Some kind of air flow to prevent overheating? :ugly: Damn few pixels stuff :ugly:

14. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I guess it's just there to be there. See here.

Model / Armor looks good so far.

15. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    I always find funny how pants are looking. I'm Superman of the Wastelands! :lol: I don't like this type of stuff.

16. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, but in 4px high chair-style, you can't see it anyway and your talking head will most probably not show his pants... or will it? :>

17. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    If we'll put him on some bed with cigarette in hand, in classy, sexy female pose, then yes... Something like this, but cigarette is missing... Here is something more fitting into TH window thingy...

18. Demonslayer

Aug 8, 2005

*dunno if the layout got screwed because i have a big screen*
    *also dunno if this forum has that resize feature some forums have*

19. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    Mr. Whip's Leather Armour is more or less done...

Stitches at chest plate thingy looked weird, so I left it flat, just like on original design.

20. Demonslayer

Aug 8, 2005
    That kinda looks awesome :D