Texture loading issue

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
I have some issues with textures. Some of the high res textures simply won't load, giving a significant part of the world that whole "I turned around in RAGE too quickly when I have less than 15TB of RAM" low res feel.
It's quite annoying, to say the least. Has anyone else that problem?
My system:
i5 3.4GHz,
8GB RAM,
Radeon HD7850 1GB GPU,
Windows 7.
Latest Catalyst (by necessity, the game won't even start without it).

/edit:
I finally found something:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s7vwx/having_buggypixelated_character_texture_issues/
Apparently it's an AMD card issue related to God Rays. I'll try it out when I get back from work.
Disabling God Rays doesn't seem to work (btw., the Advanced Graphics options menu is bugged, it refuses to save it as "Off" and goes back to "Low" unless you use the overall "Low" preset and then manually set everything to whatever you want. 10/10.), messing with the mipmap settings in the inis neither.

Last edited:
Cool, I can't edit my own post anymore oO
Anyway, I read about another solution that I'll try tonight: Verifying the game files on Steam.
/edit: Doesn't work. It just takes over 10 seconds to load the high res textures in some parts, and flat out refuses to load them in others. When will the next patch drop?

Last edited:
As I heard there is an issue with the AMD gfx drivers. Try installing an older version or the beta one.

EDIT:Wait a second, you only have 1gb of VRAM. You need atleast a card with 2gb.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
    • Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent
    • Hard Drive: 30 GB available space

Last edited:
People reported that problem even with much more available VRAM, and you'd think that the engine would just load textures slower instead of not at all when you don't have enough VRAM, but yeah, it might be an issue given the general incompetence of Bethesda's programmers...
Well, I always complained that I don't really play video games anymore now that I have the money to afford a better gaming PC, and I never really liked my AMD card, anyway, should never have listened to my old flatmate.
So I just ordered a GTX970 per express, should arrive this evening.
O tempora, o mores...

A friend of mine who plays the game has it installed on an SSD and he has no textures problem. You might want to move your game to an SSD if you have one.

New graphics card fixed everything. Now it's not clear if it's because I have 4GB VRAM now (ok, 3.5GB at full speed, it's a GTX 970) or because it's Nvidia instead of AMD :D
Either way, the game is quite obviously programmed in a very shoddy manner. Lacking VRAM should slow the game down due to loading textures, not result in textures not loading at all. Not to mention that it apparently leads to more CTDs, because I didn't have any in the past few hours that I played with the new card.
Bethesda should just use CryEngine 3 next time, and maybe rely less on modders to fix their shit...
Can't believe I basically spent almost 400€ on playing this game when I know that it's not really all that good :D

I spent 1000€ on my PC prior to Fallout 4's release but that doesn't mean I only built just for Fallout 4. You can now enjoy other games you otherwise couldn't.

Hassenknecht It's Your gpu it's not up to spec as somebody else pointed out You need at least HD 7870 and You've got 7850.. basically all the HD x850 line are considered the gap between low end cards and high end cards. 7870 is considered mid/high end card in it's branch. Video ram is just as important as normal RAM the swap file (or pagefile)

I run with 8GB RAM and 8GB vRAM and it's still a low amount for the game. that is if i run the game with a pagefile enabled i can play all day long, however if i play with pagefile disabled system runs out of memory in a matter of minutes

my specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9600 @ 3.0 GHz
GPU: Radeon R9 390X Gaming MSI 8GB @ PCI-E 16x gen1
RAM Kingston DDR3 8GB 1333MHz @ 1066 MHz
MoBo: Low end from MSI EoL product Socket 775 don't remember exact model
PSU: Corsair TX650W Bronze 80+
HDD1: SATA II Segate Baracuda 500GB 7'200RPM 32MB cache
HDD2: ACARD ANS-9010 @16GB 8x2GB kingston ECC DDR2 800MHz @ 400 MHz => Pagefile.sys 10GB-15GB @Single SATAII non-RAID mode
internet: Fiber Optic 250Mbps download 25Mbps upload (just in case it matters)
and the game works flawlessly on ultra settings

EDIT: oh I noticed You already solved the problem anyways, glad You solved it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I changed the graphics card to a GTX970 and it runs perfectly fine on Ultra with no issues at all.
Still, it's utterly retarded that the engine would just stop loading textures if the video RAM is full. I guess I couldn't believe that an engine could be programmed that badly...

I reckon your problems were a result of the Bethesda-Console-Turd syndrome, they made the game for consoles, realized they'd make enough money from that, then they decided to throw the PC users a turd of a console port which they did not [from what I can tell] even bother to optimize.

I had the exact same texture LOD problems you described, which I managed to fix with some .ini sorcery thanks to this mod and Boris' ENB and Sheson's memory hack and SKSE team and 15 other mods.

Too little too late though Bethesda, the game sucks ass and it no longer inhabits 25GB of 1s and 0s on my SSD. That honor has once again gone to Skyrim, the game you "sorta" gave a shit about.

Last edited:
I know this post is 850 years old. But, weirdly enough, the speed of your ram and having an SSD is the number one factor in textures loading appropriately.
I've tested this by dropping my ram clock to 2800 from 3200, and sure enough I start getting pop-in or textures just hanging out in low res.

It's also the main contributor to the speed of the game being stable. Literally no one understands why, except that the engine is super inefficient and the texture sizes are probably crazy. I've also tested this, and it gets jankier with slower ram clocks.

Well, as said before, VRAM solved the issue. When they say you need 2 GB of VRAM, they really mean it, because making your engine be able to run on a potato would require work.

Back