Thoughts on Fallout 5 taking place in Chicago?

Atomic_Spawned

Radiation-soaked, needs a towel.
I think the Windy City is a prime setting for Fallout 5. There's big areas for exploration and collecting, small areas for relaxing, settling down, and hunting, and potential in a nuclear wind hazard. Let me know what you guys think.

As long as it's far away from the West coast I could care less.
Although chigaco has already been done.

I rather liked the suggestion of a Fallout in El Paso Texas as was suggested in the fan game Fallout Lonestar even if I did not care for some of the content.
This place played an important role of the US invasion of Mexico.

One of the cool setup ideas was that the crime cartels of Mexico switched from drug smuggling to oil smuggling as that was more profitable.

Another location I have been thinking up ideas for myself is Detroit.
My ideas were that Detroit experienced a second economic book when "industry came back home to America" (US companies pulling out factories out of other countries when resources started to get scarce and there being the threat that they would be nationalized), Detroit being the place were fusion powered cars as well as a lot of military equipment such as Power Armor was being manufactured (r&d was done on T-45 and T-51b variants) during the resource war.

Detroit also was an important launch point for the invasion and annexation of Canada so there are a lot of remnants of military build up and support around it.

I rather liked the suggestion of a Fallout in El Paso Texas as was suggested in the fan game Fallout Lonestar even if I did not care for some of the content.
This place played an important role of the US invasion of Mexico.

One of the cool setup ideas was that the crime cartels of Mexico switched from drug smuggling to oil smuggling as that was more profitable.

Another location I have been thinking up ideas for myself is Detroit.
My ideas were that Detroit experienced a second economic book when "industry came back home to America" (US companies pulling out factories out of other countries when resources started to get scarce and there being the threat that they would be nationalized), Detroit being the place were fusion powered cars as well as a lot of military equipment such as Power Armor was being manufactured (r&d was done on T-45 and T-51b variants) during the resource war.

Detroit also was an important launch point for the invasion and annexation of Canada so there are a lot of remnants of military build up and support around it.

I agree with this, I live about 30 minutes from Detroit and I say there can be a lot of cool areas they could put in the game, first there is the suburbs and smaller towns surrounding downtown. There can be a area sort of like freeside from new vegas where there are some more impoverished locations, downtown can have all of the industrial areas. There is also the tunnel to canada that could play a roll. Finally there is the detroit airport which could be a really cool area to explore.

Personally I would like Fallout to go back to states and not just single major cities and their surroundings.
To much "filler" sometimes in the later games (even Fallout New Vegas).

Having access to a state provides with more options for interesting locations.

I'd rather not. Not only is there yet another branch of the Brotherhood there hinted in F3, but the Enclave may still have a presence there too. I'd wait a game or 2. If anything, Fallout 5 will most likely take place in San Francisco. Bethesda outright told Obsidian they couldn't make a game there because Bethesda themselves wanted to, and like Fallout 3 referenced the commonwealth, they referenced San Francisco and the Shi in 4.

I like the idea of a Texas based fallout. You could do a lot with the area, especially close to the border and some of the coastal areas. It has yet to get any attention outside of that shitty console game to my knowledge either.

It's unlikely though and I'm not sure it would be done properly anyway.

Southern California, Arizona, and Mexico Please.

I want to see a Mexican border of some sorts and fleshed out environment.

However my vision of Fallout 5 looks like Fallout 1.

As long as it's far away from the West coast I could care less.
Although chigaco has already been done.
Not only has it already been done, but this is how it looked in the proper timeline:
Chicago.jpg
... And that doesn't fit with their skewed nonsensical version of the Fallout setting.

To be honest, no matter where it’s set I don’t think Beth will be able to resist making it a “rubble and Americana shitshow” setting like 3, 4, and 76.

Would I love a return to Chicago? Yes. To be completely honest, I’d love to see a place like Wisconsin; give us more snowy Fallout, like in Jacobstown’s corner of the NV map. But again, I don’t trust that Bethesda won’t make it look like literally every other Fallout game they’ve made with maybe a few more fuckin trees.

I'd rather not. Not only is there yet another branch of the Brotherhood there hinted in F3, but the Enclave may still have a presence there too. I'd wait a game or 2. If anything, Fallout 5 will most likely take place in San Francisco. Bethesda outright told Obsidian they couldn't make a game there because Bethesda themselves wanted to, and like Fallout 3 referenced the commonwealth, they referenced San Francisco and the Shi in 4.

But this is exactly why it'll happen.

They can drag out the corpses of the Enclave and 'Traditional' Brotherhood of Steel in an attempt to appeal to all fans. Here's the MwBoS, gone insular because they fucked up their empire. Here's the Enclave, rebuilding in Chicago, opening vaults, recruiting people, gassing wastelanders.

Add in some Mutant remnants (they already can grab Gammorin's Army). The way to do it right is to have it be a company of literal mini-bosses; not mooks. Mutants at this time would be organised, smart, and strong as hell, and once they die, they should stay dead.

It's perfect. The map will probably be a square from, Fallout Tactic's persepctive, the lake on the East, Gary in the South, Rockfalls and Freeport on the west. Who knows how far north they could go...Milwaukee maybe.

Think of the DLC. They can go East into Canada (Detroit as well). South to the plains. They can cook up something in Duluth.

Honestly it might happen. And I might play it. Fuck it. Dumb Fun inbound and maybe they have enough of a reaction to our whinging and whining that they write something passable than the bullshit in 4.

...maybe they have enough of a reaction to our whinging and whining that they write something passable than the bullshit in 4.
Doubtful. If they raise the bar, they lose the majority of players; that impacts their bottom line.

Back