Tyranny as a Spiritual Successor to Fallout

TheModernStoryteller

Many as None
I would argue for Obsidian's Tyranny: an underappreciated masterpiece of the RPG genre, for being a continuation of many of the core ideas of Fallout; if not a spiritual successor. I'd like the opinions of some of you. Here's a link to a video explaining the idea:

Disclaimer: I disagree and I don't like this guy's voice

"Avellone is an underappreciated genius". The fuck. Maybe where HE comes from.

>Tyranny is top tier

I would disagree with that assessment as well

• Tim Cain is only listed as a Gameplay Programmer on Tyranny, likely mostly helping with the tech developed for PoE, where he was listed as both Gameplay Programmer and designer. Think he worked on the castle thing the player got, which also got reworked with the expansions for PoE, so probably worked on those too. Not sure about when exactly he started on Project Indiana, but I could imagine it was during or near the end of Tyranny development. So all in all, I doubt he did much on Tyranny.
  • Chris Avellone definitely didn't do much on Tyranny: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ay-of-rage-archive.121751/page-2#post-5606781
  • Tim Cain's involvement with creating Fallout is understated by calling him a Producer, since he was pretty much the creator (along with Leonard Boyarsky and a few others)
  • Chris Avellone did not work on Vampire Bloodlines. That was a Troika game and he never worked there.
  • Chris Avellone's involvement in New Vegas is overstated. He mostly worked on the DLCs, didn't do much on the main game (since Ulysses was cut from the main game)
Also, the general idea of Tyranny being a spiritual successor just because it has good faction mechanics doesn't really work for me, but eh, I haven't gotten around to playing it for myself.

No. This game lacks sandbox elements present in Fallout and Fallout 2, and so, freedom that these games are providing for solving mundane tasks.

Tyranny is a Obsidian's direct follow up to Age of Decadence, i.e. CYOA rpg. If you know AoD you'd see thick parallels between these games.
@PlanHex At least you should notice.

Not really since I haven't played Tyranny or read much about it.
I was sorta interested at one point, but since it seems to have gotten lukewarm reviews from the general public and the codex alike, I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.
I also haven't heard of anyone quitting Tyranny because they died too many times in the tutorial, so it can't be all that similar to AoD.
Though I slightly remember hearing about them wanting to a similar style of having a game that takes ~10-20 hours to get through, but is very different on each playthrough. I also remember hearing about how that was not the case for the final product.

Back