Vagrus, the Riven Realms.

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Murdoch, Feb 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Nov 24, 2003
    I found a Steam title recently, Vagrus, and want to share. It's early access blah blah, but I feel it has potential and NMAers may enjoy. Premise that that you're the cross between a merchant and adventurer in essentially a post-apocalyptic world riven with magic and mayhem. You adventure around, using trade to pay for your endeavors, and do quests, explore dungeons and the like; standard D&D faire in that regard, but with enough (or enough potential) world richness to keep my grognard ass interested.

You play as the Vagrus, or leader of a Comitatus, which is an elected/appointed role to lead a group of traders and mercs around to do stuff. Like, buy iron in the mines to resell at the place that needs iron but sells food cheap, then you traffic it to the next place that has other good buys. Money is really just a means toward the adventuring end, but is an interesting conflict and movement driver in its own right.

It is primarily text driven. The graphics and minimal animations are not for the twitch gamer.

You can own slaves, or free your slaves and be a slave freedom fighter. Your companions have alignments that you need to cater to (or bribe) to keep them around. And there are dragon factions, secret society factions, religious factions, all of whom have allies and enemies, so your effort on one faction's behalf impact the other factions. Admittedly the interaction is a bit one-dimensional, boiled down to a numerical value you must raise or lower, but there's a starting point there for much potential fun.

Combat is via two modes: companion combat and comitatus combat. Companion is straightforward squaring your companions against an adversary, turn based. Has positioning perspectives, blocking, stun effects and all the standard tropes. Comitatus combat involves everyone in your traveling trade entourage (your Comitatus) fighting someone else, whether they are ghosts, raiders, escaped slaves or whoever in a turn based manner that you can influence. You can raise your Vagrus stats, or spend XP (in the form of Insight points) to raise your companion's abilities, and those abilities when all added together affect what you can do, see, interact with, and perform, based on the challenge's angles and needs.

Again early access, and there's a free to play demo version available on Steam etc. Lemme know if you try it and want pointers. Thanks for reading.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Proletären

Proletären Vault Senior Citizen
    Staff Member Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
  3. Proletären

Staff Member Moderator

Mar 15, 2012

Vagrus is out now! This is a game that I have been looking forward to for a long time. I'm thrilled!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    Idk it looks kind of ass

5. Proletären

Staff Member Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    In what way?

6. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    upload_2021-10-14_9-12-2.png

7. Proletären

Staff Member Moderator

Mar 15, 2012
    Maybe. The prologue was very good and the game itself is very atmospheric and keeps you on small margins so that you have to struggle. I would probably have preferred a grid based travelling system but those nods are good enough.