What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline Engine

Surf Solar

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
whatremains75pf.png

Hello dear RPG Community, today I want to introduce you a bit into what I have been working on the past few weeks (and the future few months). I am planning this thing since almost a year and did spreadsheets etc, but I didnt want to announce anything before I actually have n-amount of content so it's not just another announcment of "just some cool idea" one has.

Thanks to the power and usability of the FOnline Engine, it is much easier to create Singleplayer, as well as Multiplayer mods basing on it. As far as I know, I am the only one yet trying to make a singleplayermod, rather then another multiplayerthingy. Anyway.

The Big Picture: This mod rather concentrates on storytelling, dialogues, player investigation, atmosphere and not really on combat style, saving the world, guys with miniguns and stuff. If you are more into cool new guns and loads of new and shiny stuff, this wont be your thing. If you enjoy immersing yourself into a more serious toned, "realistic" game with rich story telling, then you might like it as much as I do. But, as the biggest limitation I set to myself - I don't want to make it too big, it will feature 3-4 bigger locations and some smaller ones, not making it too huge. I take some unusual way of creating a game - I first make music for a location, and THEN create the location itself. Some other design approach.

Some Story Tidbits: I want this game to be as close in tone and asthetics as it can be to Fallout 1. The Games setting is located in the postwar USA of the "Big Lakes" region in the USA, no one really knows which year it already is, but seeing how fucked up the things are, the years after the great war can be counted on a few hands and toes. Same will be the main keyword of the mod: "Water". You will see many ruined cities too, as Chicago, Detroit and many other metropols lay in this area. You won't be the savior of the world, just some guy trying to come by, but this doesn't mean you can't influence your surrounding areas, doesn't it. ;)

For other modders and graphic scavengers: From now on I will use this thread here for small updates and little announcments of things I made. Everything found here in this thread can be used, be it music, soundeffects, scenery objects, tiles etc - feel free to take everything you want. I'd be rather proud, not pissed, if someone can find a use from stuff that I make.

Current Development Status: Music done 60%, SFX done: 80%, Maps done: 50%, Dialogues done: 20% Additional Scripting: Soon Start to work on it.

For all the "graphic whores" ( ;) ) I cant give much new out, only some smaller things...

<div> </div>

Hope You'll enjoy the game as much as I do,

Greetings. :)

Looks good...sounds good...is good. :wink:

Keeping it small is a good idea, that way you wont get over whelmed. Good luck Surf Solar, and we all look forward to playing this when its released.

Re: What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline En

Surf Solar said:
Current Development Status: Music done 60%, SFX done: 80%, Maps done: 50%, Dialogues done: 20% Additional Scripting: Soon Start to work on it.

Good luck. I hope you set the precedent for future Fallout projects.

Thank you all for the kind words! :)
I always take Lexx and his' Shattered Destiny as example, it's very good, but not too huge and doable for a single person.

I waste much more time in learning how to use programs like 3ds Max and the like, then I do with actual ingame stuff, which actually isn't that hard to do (I imagined it's much much harder). That's why speed making maps, dialogues is pretty fast.

I'd suggest you all to try out the FOnline Engine, it's really so much easier to make things done in it. ;)

Best of luck with your project (a single man mod!)

I'm really looking forward to play it.

You're exploring new grounds on Fallout modding, could be
interesting for everyone around here !

--
Aguirre

lol "What remains" is actually the mod's name? I've been slow there.

Best of luck and inspirations to you. I hope this gets somewhere in the future.

I've created some small blog thingy so I don't have to spam the fora each time I update something.

Still, you should update this thread whenever something mayor comes, for the lazy ones, you know...

Re: What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline En

Good stuff, Surf Solar;

Surf Solar said:
The Big Picture: This mod rather concentrates on storytelling, dialogues, player investigation, atmosphere and not really on combat style, saving the world, guys with miniguns and stuff. If you are more into cool new guns and loads of new and shiny stuff, this wont be your thing. If you enjoy immersing yourself into a more serious toned, "realistic" game with rich story telling, then you might like it as much as I do.

Sounds good, but never understimate the power of the loot... an unique weapon found in an interesting quest can be a good way to top it.

Surf Solar said:
Some Story Tidbits: I want this game to be as close in tone and asthetics as it can be to Fallout 1. The Games setting is located in the postwar USA of the "Big Lakes" region in the USA, no one really knows which year it already is, but seeing how fucked up the things are, the years after the great war can be counted on a few hands and toes. Same will be the main keyword of the mod: "Water". You will see many ruined cities too, as Chicago, Detroit and many other metropols lay in this area.

Fallout 1, lots of ruins, sounds good.

Surf Solar said:
For all the "graphic whores" ( ;) ) I cant give much new out, only some smaller things...

There's a difference between mere 'graphics', which is generally understood in the context of the phrase 'graphic whore' as unnecesary crap like ultra-realistic water, shadows, big tittie physics and bloom effects, and 'artwork style'. :wink:

Thomas de Aynesworth said:
I'm assuming Detroit wasn't hit by any nukes?

Not directly, though the blastwave came from the west. (atleast it is so in my mod, I didnt find anything regarding this city, so I made it up for my own ;) ) Chicago is pretty much just a hellhole of radiation and small remnants of skyscrapers looking out of the deserts sand.

x'il said:
Sounds good, but never understimate the power of the loot... an unique weapon found in an interesting quest can be a good way to top it.

Indeed, yes. But I am trying to keep the fighting on a minimum level - this makes the fights which are there much more important and harder.
There won't be much ammo/weapons to be looted somewhere, and if so, only with scarce ammunition. However, thanks to the fixboy system, you can craft basic weapons on your own. :) But yes indeed, good placed loot makes up for a good "reward" feeling for the player. Will consider placing it in logical places after I am completely done with mapping and the quests.

Fallout 1, lots of ruins, sounds good.

Indeed, the thing I always liked most. ;)

There's a difference between mere 'graphics', which is generally understood in the context of the phrase 'graphic whore' as unnecesary crap like ultra-realistic water, shadows, big tittie physics and bloom effects, and 'artwork style'.

True. ;)

I am currently working on some little nice detail, a small monitor/TV ingame which plays a 50ies ad+music like in FO1 intro if you do a certain thing. Looks really nice so far. ;D

Surf Solar said:
Chicago is pretty much just a hellhole of radiation and small remnants of skyscrapers looking out of the deserts sand.

The mid-west brotherhood has a chapter in Chicago and some Enclave folks should be there as well. Of course, depending on the date you set your mod on the timeline.

Yep, the Enclave stuff has been mentionend in NV, I know. And yeah, I just read that Chicago was in FO:T aswell. Hm, but "my timeline" is much earlier, so there isn't much activity of both BoS and Enclave (both Groups don't appear in my mod)

In the intro of fallout tactic, there is some nice shootage of a destroyed chicago (specificly at 2.42) that you could use for some artworks or something.
Chicago fallout before the war seemed to look nice too...

Chicago_1.jpg

Good luck with your project!

Yep, already saw this and considered it taking for a loading screen. ;)

Today I tried to mess around with the interface and its overhaul. Want to make it unique..
Here are 2 examples (ofcourse still Work In Progress) :

examplef6xb.png

For the obvious dialogbox on the lowerleft corner (and some occasions were you have to "accept" something, hence the button)

and here some normal button, with comparison how it looks in original Fallout and in my mod:

beispieldutq.png

It's actually fun and it looks imo very good ingame. :)

EDIT: It's a bit oversaturated. Have to change it.
EDIT²: Done.

Thanks! Well I planned to give the player some kind of journal or book to write his notes in. This needs heavy changing of interface etc. though - I'll see if I can pull that off. But yes, I'd much rather prefer the PC not to have a Pipboy.

Some little Worldmap example I've made today:

wmexamplekf1y.png

Later there'll be more highlits on map and more "landmarks" so you don't get lost - but you have to listen carefully to the NPCs direction they give for new places, otherwise you might end at the "end of the world". ;)

Something I'm definitely excited about. Will you include any Fallout Tactics towns, like Coldwater, for example? I'd love to actually role play in these areas.

Awesome, just awesome !!

I like your wooden brown/yellow ish interface style.

Keep it coming, I already want to play it :)

--
Aguirre

Back