What's your favorite elaborate underground complex?

Quoth

First time out of the vault
So what's your favorite multi-level, log-ridden, underground military or non-military complex of misteries and looty goodies in the fallout world? At least in the first two (I haven't played the third).

-Vault 13.
-Vault 15 Cliff version.
-Vault 15 Shack version (Nothing much to see here).
-Vault 8 of Vault City.
-Vault 12 of Necropolis.
-The Brotherhood of Steel Bunker.
-Vault Vault-Tec, the master's headquarters.
-Brotherhood San Fran Bunker (Yeah I'm considering it, it's cute)
-Military Base pre-kablooies.
-Military Base post-kablooies.
-Sierra Army Depot.
-And of course, the good old hot spot of Dayglow's West-Tek's Glow.

I think the last three are the ones to count in the description I used above, since they have logs and goodies, since almost every key-location in fallout is a super-basement. (Yeah, I thoufht of EPA, but I don't like its brotherhoodish design in the restoration patch)

My pick has to be Sierra Army Depot, despite the Glow's the better eerie music, Sierra has a lot of interesting logs with cool history and shiny walls and robots, and a robot buddie, and COOKIES.

Cookies, man.

My favorite underground areas are probably tied between Fallout 1's Vault 15 because it has goodies like an SMG, and the Glow

Fallout 2 was lacking in underground areas that I felt were special.

I loved the little bunker under the Toxic Caves near Klamath. Too bad it had no backstory, it looked like an awesome place to survive the war in with your family.

Other than that, the Glow or the Master's Vault.

Aw, how could I forget the Toxic Caves, I thought it was a very interesting place too. Despite all the radioactive goo and geckos.

And it has my favoite trope in videogames, you get to this interesting place but you don't have the tools nor the abilities to access them so have a glance, get out, and come back when you have them.

Very metroidish.

The Glow, interesting backstory and some very nice goodies in there... Plus the music was pretty creepy aswell.

Sephis said:
My favorite underground areas are probably tied between Fallout 1's Fallout 15 because it has goodies like an SMG, and the Glow

:?

other than that, though it isn't listed, I liked the whole Ghost Farm arc with Vegeir and the Slags.

The whole reason I bothered to acquire Vic was to get into that little vault under the Falls. Shame that his repair ability wasn't up to snuff . . . Instead I had to go hunting groups of rad scorpions to upgrade myself enough to go exploring . . .

Vault 15 of Fallout takes the win for me. Just because the lack of story (though it would of been a nice touch to find something to hint at what life was like, aside from our immediate views of Vault 13) and the state of the place so early on in the game really set the mood. It suggested that outside Vault 13, this sort of technology is indeed rare, left to decay.
. . .
Then I found The Brotherhood of Steel's lil' hideout and such ideas dissolved.

(Now I want to go restart, and finish, Fallout.)

The Glow. Because it's so damn eery down there and because you know it's deathly to linger.

The San Francisco BoS bunker is cute, like you said. Looks like a nice little place to spend some time during a nuclear winter.

I'd have to go with the Glow, because of its sheer creepyness and the Toxic Caves Bunker, because it's just awesome in all it's tiny shinyness.

Brother None said:
(...) the Glow or the Master's Vault.

This, for sure. Too bad the Master's vault was a little empty of 'background' story (logs and the like). As a side note, why do the captives explode when you free them?

The Master’s Vault was the best - most atmospheric location IMO, especially the cave full of critters you enter before the Vault proper…

x'il said:
Brother None said:
(...) the Glow or the Master's Vault.

This, for sure. Too bad the Master's vault was a little empty of 'background' story (logs and the like). As a side note, why do the captives explode when you free them?
I always thought it was the master's doing, since he has psyonic abilities, he noticed your little feat and properly executed them.

Or maybe it was an excuse for the limitations of the game engine, I don't know if the creatures themselves can start combat against other creatures without noticing you in the background.

The glow easily.

With that said, i find old things/wreckage's fascinating so one of my favorite places is right at the start of the first game. You leave your vault and head straight to Vault 15. Man, even if it was only a short section, being in a place that's identical to the one your trying to save and picking through those ruins sucked me in good and hard.

Back