Who can touch-type?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Gruug, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Gruug

Gruug Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 7, 2003
    In other words, who here can type without looking at the screen or keyboard at over a hundred words a minute without making any mistakes? I can, and I am only 14. :wink:

2. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Nerd..

oh wait, I also can..

3. Gruug

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, considering I was using computers since I was around 4.

4. Lukus

Lukus Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Orderite

May 11, 2003
    Never actually timed myself to 100+ words a minute, but I could prolly pull it off as I can type entirely without looking at the screen or keyboard (ie, closing my eyes). You got some software test, or what?

5. Gruug

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, yes there are software test thingies, my school has it, but i'm a bit hazy with macs, so my 118 words a min could probably be improved on. But think, the people that can type the fastest in the world can do like 150-170 words a minute...

6. Stone-D

Stone-D First time out of the vault

Sep 18, 2003
    I used to be able to do that when I was still in school. I took a secretarial course specifically for that purpose, abandoning the class(1) when I had what I wanted. I've slowed down somewhat now down to something like 80 WPM - I suspect this is primarily because A) Good_Code != Fast_Output and B) Windows punishes those who would dare like DOS by forcing them to use the mouse for too many things.

As you leave secretarial courses in the dust of life, you'll be meandered in the debugging tar pit that is the true IT professional's world.

(1) But not my skirt-wearing classmates.

7. Ratty Sr.

Ratty Sr. Formerly known as Ratty Moderator Orderite

Apr 23, 2003
    I don't know if I can type that fast. Let's see...

8. megatron

megatron A Smooth-Skin

Apr 17, 2003
    sometime sI ca put i alwayz make spelling msitkaes and stuff

9. Gus

Gus So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jun 16, 2003
    I can type 100+ words in one minute. The sentenses doesn't make any sence when I do though.

10. welsh

welsh Junkmaster

Apr 5, 2003
    Smar- I read your posts on RolePlay and I know you make spelling mistakes.

Not sure what my speed is but I would guess about that. I credit it use of the computer and playing the piano.

11. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Lemme see, who have uses for 100+ words a minute, oh yeah! Secretaries!

12. Ozrat

Ozrat Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite

Apr 2, 2003
    Back in seventh grade I took a computer class and was typing 70+ wpm on the first week! I was special and got a little pin from the teacher to commemorate it :) Nobody else in my grade could do over 60 wpm until the end of eighth grade.

I'm not sure how fast I type now, but I can assure you that I haven't looked at the keyboard since seventh grade, so that counts for something...

DOS rules!

13. megatron

megatron A Smooth-Skin

Apr 17, 2003
    It's not that hard to learn, I can type pretty fast and without mistakes (not much grammar though)

touch typing doesnt seem that important though, if you're typing something why would you need to talk to someone or something unless you wanted to like i dunno...be LOL WOW IM SHOWING OFF LciikL

touhc typed 2 da maxx

14. KurganFr

KurganFr Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 21, 2003
    Just stop-watched myself a couple of times: 95 and 102. Touch-typing is easy. If you want a real challenge, try it with your feet! :wink:

15. Gruug

Nov 7, 2003
    Well let's see welsh, maybe, just maybe, it might have something to do with the fact that I have a broken arm, and my fingers on my right hand do not like trying to traverse the keyboard one handed. That and my keyboard is a european one, and it keeps reverting to european keyboard. Grrrrrr! :twisted:

16. Gruug

Nov 7, 2003
    i9 6t5r76 w96tyhu nmj6yfrd89
    I try with my foot.
    Har har. Yeah, and welsh, as long as what I post is readable, that's the main thing. So what, sometimes I forget the doubble L's and B's and so on, As my dad's friend used to say "It's only spelling, no children are dieing, are they?"

17. SkynetV4

SkynetV4 Mildly Dipped

Jan 25, 2005
    Let's see...I used to do that in school but now I don't give a rad rat's ass.

18. MadDog

MadDog So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

May 6, 2003
    I never could touch type until I got the internet. Now I can zip through anything without worrying. Whoo. Try typing while paying attention to something else, like a tv or talking to people next to you. Now THATs a challenge

19. Ugly John

Ugly John So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    I can type 80 wpm one handed

but i don't need to, i have a secretary.

20. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Mildly Dipped

Apr 3, 2003
    Can I touch-type? Sure, in fact, I'm doing it right now! Zounds, how the modern world keeps improving.

Just about everyone I know can "touch-type". But let's see them implement capitalization, punctuation, and grammar into it. I blame chatting and acronyms for loosey-goosey replies like: "Lol, u r so rite." Then I see people go out of their way to misspell (ugh, L33T $P3@k).

Anywho, I just think it's a small sign of changing times. In my mom's days, it wasn't such a trajedy to search and peck for your keys on a typewriter. Now, most kids can type. In seventh grade, I took typing classes (mandatory) and I averaged 100+ WPM (Words Per Minute) while typing dumb sentences like, "Yellow mustard custard dripping from a dead dog's eye." That sentence alone gave me an A+.