Wierd Graphics Issue

bpauley

First time out of the vault
I have been playing F3 for a couple weeks now but recently had an issue with my computer that required a fresh reload of XP Pro. I backed up all my saves, etc, and all was well.

I reinstalled and loaded to find that many textures and model parts had skewed severely. Examples below.

ScreenShot0.jpg

ScreenShot1.jpg

ScreenShot2.jpg

ScreenShot3.jpg

Any and all ideas are welcome. I am running a P4 and have a GeForce 7600GS with the latest drivers. I have no idea what might have been running on my system before that I don't have now, but I cleaned off a ton of crap and now only have XP, F3, and some small programs, nothing obtrusive, no AV's, nothing big.

Also, no comments on the AP count, yes, I'm cheating, its fun for me.

bpauley said:
I have been playing F3 for a couple weeks now but recently had an issue with my computer that required a fresh reload of XP Pro.
What kind of issue was that?

ARTIFACTS GALORE!!

Seems like your Videocard is broken, try to test another Videocard to see if the issue reoccurs, if it doesn't your videocard is broken.

It looks very similar to the glitching that happened to my GeForce 7900GT before I had to send it back to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement. In my case it was a design defect because they didn't put a good enough heatsink on the card's memory, leading to data corruption due to overheating. So if I was you, I'd look for some way to test out the graphics card's memory extensively. Though, I don't have any idea why such a problem would pop up now, with a fresh XP install. You didn't do anything inside the case or hardware related, did you?

I installed the latest drivers right after I got XP installed, even before doing MS Update stuff. I've never had a major issue with the card before and the problem only popped up after I did the re-install. Any suggestions for utilities to heavily test the vid card are welcome, I'll look into some at nVidia myself. Thanks for the info.

The issue that prompted the reload was long-coming, and the reload itself was put off to play F3 for a few days. It played fine, but due to the issue crashed often. The graphics issue was not present.

After the reload, F3 plays flawlessly, aside from the graphics issue itself.

You might have a system power or heat problem. If the power supply for the system isn't delivering what it needs to, then it may cause graphics glitchs. It'd also cause system instability and other glitches. The way to test for a inadiquate power supply is to install one of those system burn-in test programs; the kind that max out the CPU and/or video card for an extended period. Run that overnight and see if the system has locked up or crashed out.

As for the heat, try taking the cover off the case and point a box fan at it. If Fallout 3 runs right, then it's likely that. Good luck!

Stuff like this happens on my Xbox 360 version too. Might be related to coming out of fast travel and losing a drug effect. I dunno.

Allready mentioned above, but ignored by OP:
Videocard seems broken.

I like the 2nd picture though, looks very surreal :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifact_(error)

Back