Will Fallout 3 be remembered?

Will Fallout 3 be remembered in 10 years' time?

• Total voters
It will be remembered sadly, given its preservation on clickbait youtube lists as a gaming masterpiece. Internet discourse creates opinions held by those who sometimes never even played the games- see Far Cry 3 automatically being assumed to be the best Far Cry (brushing over the controversies surrounding its questionably racist story or the fact that others did the formula better) , or that Arkham Knight had Tank Battles guys so it automatically sucks! I'm not saying these opinions are wrong (even though they are but you can disagree) I'm saying that these opinions and others, such as Bethesda's Fallout games are great aside from 76 and featured brilliant storytelling with rich open worlds (neither of which are true,) are trotted out so much as to be gospel, and were especially so before 76 came out and Bethesda can do no wrong.

As for us, I would hope people here still dislike it. Harbinger of Decline of gaming, of RPG standards especially, and the portent of everything to come next for most Fallout games bar NV. What's the difference really between nuking Megaton and nuking Appalachia., for example. Same problems prevalent throughout all of Bethesda Fallout.

And it all started with 3. The moment apologetics of it become the majority here, I think perhaps the point of these boards will be lost (excuse the melodrama.)

From time to time I think about going through Fallout 3 again as I did finish it and its DLCs once, but every time after a few hours of playing it I become so incredibly bored with the game as the traveling around the map feels so absolutely pointless unless you are a collector.

So many places that could have had some damn inhabitants with quests.
But no it is just piles of crap along with wildlife, raiders, robots, mutants, and later on Enclave.

Obsidian showed that you can still make a somewhat decent game with all of these assets but it is all just wasted here.

Edit:

I added another poll option I felt was missing.
This poll is twelve years old so who cares that I made a slight change and this is not a for Lulz option.

I mean, I felt like my actions mattered more in Fallout 3 than in Fallout 1. Also, it's the one fallout game to lack a meta

I mean, I felt like my actions mattered more in Fallout 3 than in Fallout 1. Also, it's the one fallout game to lack a meta
None of the actions you do in Fallout 3 matters (making your dad dissapointed that you blew up an entire town of innocent people and the game goes out of its way to make a character tied to a quest somehow survive Megaton's explosion, because otherwise you would miss out on the gloriously written Survival Guide questline), so how the fuck do its choices matter more than arguably with the game that has the most choice and consequences in the series?

I swear you claim the dumbest, most baseless shit.

If you poison the GECK, you poison the water and drinking it enough kills you. Fucking with Moira and bullshitting the (actually really fun) Survival Guide quest leads to people commenting on how shit it is. Convincing Tenpenny to allow the murderous ghouls in his hotel leads to the natural aftermath of letting psychopaths share your home. Doing the Guide quest as usual leads to Three Dog (awoooo) talking about how it's not a shit purchase, and going above and beyond with the guide unlocks a few encounters and Three Dog (awoooo) tells the whole world that you need to read it eventually.

Trouble on The Homefront can be influenced by a variety of things. Killing the Overseer at the very beginning leads to a police state rising while you're away, and if you overload the reactor then you come across survivors of the irradiation in 101. Bombing Megaton actually closes several quests and kills multiple NPCs, as well as every single trader at Megaton at the time. Sending Sarah Lyons into Project Purity pretty much kills her.

All 1 gave me was Ron Perlman's sexy voice in an ending slide and set up the intro to Fallout 2.

Sorry if I felt differently about how engaged in the story I was

Yeah, Fallout 1 has less interactions like that (I can only remember Decker's reaction depending on how you've completed Gizmo/Killian quest and faster invasions if you killed Supermutants/bought water for Vault), but it has way more comprehensive endings.

as well as every single trader at Megaton at the time

Well, aside from Moira. Megaton is a pretty poor example overall. In Fallout 1 nothing stops me from killing everyone in Shady Sands, Junktown, Hub, Necropolis or Boneyard and losing traders/failing all quests. You don't need a silly quest.

Sending Sarah Lyons into Project Purity pretty much kills her.

And is the only way to kill her. In Fallout 1 you can kill everyone but Overseer the moment you meet them. I understand plot-critical characters, but 3 goes overboard with essentials for vendors and side characters, while leaving a plot-critical NPC unprotected (if Vargas dies before Take it back! your game can't be completed without cheats).

Also, it's the one fallout game to lack a meta

I mean, it really only does not have one because combat is so damn easy pre Broken Steel. Every raider for instance can be one hit from a hunting rifle, which is satisfying the first time but eventually it becomes clear there is little challenge beyond VATS and headshot. Even after broken steel, the enemies are not hard in that they take skill to defeat- the problem is that they have damage that takes off your hp which you cannot lessen or block, and huge amounts of hp that it becomes tedious. Compare that to F1's simple but routinely satisfying combat,in which character skills and stats play a large part, and there is no contest.

And even then, there is no reason to get skills such as medicine over Speech or Small guns.

The nice thing is as soon as someone says 'but fallout 1 is turnbased and not an fps' well half life 1, 2 etc. and so many other shooters are far superior and released before, as we have said in other threads.

Fo3 was this shizzle I don't know why people are bitching about it. Loved 1 and 2 so much that the day 3 came out I bought a console just to play it, spent years visiting nearly every place and every quest without guides before I completed the main quest. Fucking work of art.

You know it might be remembered, but unlike Fallout NV it doesn't work on Windows 10. So that'll hurt in in the long run, last time I played Fallout 3 (not to completion) was a few years ago. It a mixed bag experience, a good break in RPG and many of the side quests are really good, main story is naff to be fair. But if people can no longer play on it, it'll fall into obscurity eventually like that terrible XBOX title.

Won't happen over night, because lets face it Fallout 3 was huge and still is huge.

Hell most of us remember it for the same reasons the star wars prequels are remembered. For fitting very poorly into the established universe and having an nearly incomprehensible story.

Last edited:
Yeah, the main story was weak. Had some awesome voice acting, Malcom McDowell was really good as Eden and Liam Neeson did okay... as you're characters father. Side quests were pretty good, some actually on par with New Vegas and the art style was really good. The music was not as memorable as the original Fallout, and I think something more like the Fallout of Nevada soundtrack by Nobody Nail Machine would have been more fitting, as that soundtrack was original and really captured the tone of the original games.

Fallout 3 helped capture a new audience, and that is something to be appreciative off. However it sad Bethesda didn't take on the criticism of the main story to heart, as it would have significantly improved Fallout 4 had they done son.

Side quests were pretty good
Majority of the sidequests were terrible and not even par with the quests of Oblivion. Which aren't all that great to begin with. And even attempting to claim they were on par with New Vegas's sidequests is an insult to great sidequests there.

Fallout 3 helped capture a new audience, and that is something to be appreciative off.
No? It helped capture an audience that enabled them to become even worse. The new audience didn't cared that the main story was trite, so of course they did nothing.

Fallout 3 helped capture a new audience, and that is something to be appreciative off.
It captured a new audience for an unrelated product by exploiting the series' name and earned reputation—while offering none of it in the new product.

It's akin to a company buying the Vegemite brand with intent to reformulate it to compete with Nutella.

nutella%26vegemite.jpg

It captured a new audience for an unrelated product by exploiting the series' name and earned reputation—while offering none of it in the new product.

That is also my criticism. This just as well could have been an original IP by Bethesda but they wanted to farm on an existing name but making a product that barely has anything in common with the titles that established the IP.
Fallout could just as well have been left in the past because it honestly did not need to be "revived" like this.

I swear Gizmo has that picture saved somewhere just in case someone comes up with the "Bethesda introduced a bunch of people to Fallout" or "Bethesda saved Fallout". lol

I honestly always roll my eyes hard everytime someone says Bethesda should be commended for introducing Fallout to a new audience or that it "saved" Fallout. Given how it turned out in the end, it was better off dead. Being dead could have allowed a company that gave a shit about the series to buy it down the line and make possible quality entries, and not have a company like Bethesda buy it just for brand recognition and use it to make a reskinned Elder Scrolls.

The introduction of the series to a bunch people is even more aggravating because a lot of the Bethesda fans say 1 and 2 are crap because they are old and outdated.

Back